CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Mr Harrod. I wondered if everyone reading and posting would tell friends and family about the case and the upcoming show. We want a big audience-Bob deserves it as does every other missing person's case.

Good morning, Mr Harrod. I wondered if everyone reading and posting would tell friends and family about the case and the upcoming show. We want a big audience-Bob deserves it as does every other missing person's case.

Interesting you posted this, this morning. I think I have turned into a walking advertisement for Bob's upcoming Disappeared show. I've mentioned it along with the air date to just about everyone I see regularly. In fact, there are a few places I am going to inquire about putting up an announcement requesting people to view the show. I even have some local LE interested in viewing as well (both city and county).

Don't forget how many members and viewers WS has. Just you guys having the details in your signature is going to spread details of his show far and wide; I don't know how many different states and countries WS members cover, but I bet it's a lot.

Bob is lucky to have you two supporting him. Everyone else too, of course, but you two especially. You have worked tirelessly to keep his case from becoming even the tiniest bit cool.

I read an article on the BBC written by a cultural anthropologist who helps identify bodies found in the Sonora desert, which are almost all migrants from Central America trying to get into the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21029783

Something she wrote about some of her experiences really resonated with Bob's case for me.

I went to Guatemala with my husband in the summer of 2011 to meet the families of the dead and missing from this group. I was struck by the difference between those whose loved ones had been identified and those who were still waiting.

Even with the knowledge that the whole group had been lost in the desert, and that some of them had come home in coffins, the families of the missing were distraught - sickened by the condition of not knowing. Their faces are burned into my memory.

While his daughters may not show any apparent signs of grieving for him or even wanting to know what happened to him, I can't help but wonder what his grandchildren are making of it. Did they know Grandfather Bob? If not, do they ever wonder why their father doesn't apparently have a father, as the fathers of their friends probably do?

When they get old enough to ask pointed questions and get on the internet to find the answers, will they be trapped in grief that cannot be truly resolved?

Someone knows the answers.

Interesting you posted this, this morning. I think I have turned into a walking advertisement for Bob's upcoming Disappeared show. I've mentioned it along with the air date to just about everyone I see regularly. In fact, there are a few places I am going to inquire about putting up an announcement requesting people to view the show. I even have some local LE interested in viewing as well (both city and county).

I have local and nationwide SAR interested also, Cubby. I can't wait for Feb to come.

I read an article on the BBC written by a cultural anthropologist who helps identify bodies found in the Sonora desert, which are almost all migrants from Central America trying to get into the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21029783

Something she wrote about some of her experiences really resonated with Bob's case for me.

While his daughters may not show any apparent signs of grieving for him or even wanting to know what happened to him, I can't help but wonder what his grandchildren are making of it. Did they know Grandfather Bob? If not, do they ever wonder why their father doesn't apparently have a father, as the fathers of their friends probably do?

When they get old enough to ask pointed questions and get on the internet to find the answers, will they be trapped in grief that cannot be truly resolved?

Someone knows the answers.

I think AH was Bob's only grandchild Grainne. Some people never get to meet their grandparents, let alone their great-grandparents. Those that do are very lucky. In this case, any of Bob's very young descendants not only lost Bob, they lost the chance to have a new great-grandma and other family too. That's the saddest thing about missing people. The void they leave behind goes on down the years, until it is filled by them being brought home.

I have seen cases on here where parents have passed, and siblings of the missing - young children when their brother/sister disappeared - are continuing the search, decades later. I can only admire them, and the strength that keeps them going over all those years.

I just put all the information for Bob's ID episode on my FB page. I never thought to do that before, thanks Grainne for bringing that up. I want everyone, especially in MY neck of the woods to see it. I have family that lives out by him.

What an excellent idea, Seajay! At last we'll have some info about Bob that's on a facebook page and isn't - well - a bit useless.

I'm feeling a bit useless in this respect myself. It's not much use me disemminating the info locally, and I have friends who would happily put it out in Holland, Bulgaria, Hungary and Poland as well as England, but I don't think that would be terribly useful either.

I've been thinking about it though, and I'll come up with something. I want to help too!

What an excellent idea, Seajay! At last we'll have some info about Bob that's on a facebook page and isn't - well - a bit useless.

I'm feeling a bit useless in this respect myself. It's not much use me disemminating the info locally, and I have friends who would happily put it out in Holland, Bulgaria, Hungary and Poland as well as England, but I don't think that would be terribly useful either.

I've been thinking about it though, and I'll come up with something. I want to help too!

I would tell my friends. I don't think it matters how far away they might be. Bob's story deserves to be told and it can and should reach the corners of the earth, imo.

I think the person or persons responsible should be well aware there isn't a place on the planet they can run and hide from their actions.

I would tell my friends. I don't think it matters how far away they might be. Bob's story deserves to be told and it can and should reach the corners of the earth, imo.

I think the person or persons responsible should be well aware there isn't a place on the planet they can run and hide from their actions.

IA. I think Zwie ought to post it on her FB and let all her friends know so they can look it up, and see the story. Zwie has a great position for spreading the word globally whereas I can only do so locally, more in the U.S. Zwie has a better shot at that.

I'm dazed and confused. Everyone seems to think I have a facebook page and I haven't. Is there another facebook page for Bob out there now? If so, has anyone got a link?

I know facebook's very useful for most families of the missing, to help get news out there quickly, but it's not something I'd feel comfortable using. Unless someone I loved went missing; then I'd become facebooker of the year!

Oh, I've had an idea! My graphic tablet might finally come in use for something besides resting my coffee cup on.

Tomorrow I am going to try putting some graphics on the web, advertising Disappeared, So anyone googling Bob and getting pictures, will get pictures of the date and time of disappeared. If those details appear in the pic with wobbly lines, you'll know it's me.......

Does anyone have any idea what would happen if a person went to a detective with a suspicion, rather than any concrete, detailed information.?

I was just thinking, I would certainly know if someone I knew well was behaving oddly, out of character etc. I don't know how I would say that to someone in authority though. It would be easier if someone in authority came to me and said, "Did you see so and so and was there anything unusual about their behaviour?"

But I just don't know how I would call a detective cold and say, "This person was too quiet that day/too nervous/looked wrong but I don't really know anything more than that." I'd be worried the result would be:

"Get outta here, crazy lady!"

If it helps, this was something that LE openly stated during the search for Jessica Ridgeway's killer - look for someone who is doing something out of character.
LE know the only people likely to see tiny clues are the ones who know the perp(s) well. Even if it's "hmmm X always wears a purple tie Tuesday, but this week it was green", or "X offered to hoover this week, they never do that".

I'm dazed and confused. Everyone seems to think I have a facebook page and I haven't. Is there another facebook page for Bob out there now? If so, has anyone got a link?

I know facebook's very useful for most families of the missing, to help get news out there quickly, but it's not something I'd feel comfortable using. Unless someone I loved went missing; then I'd become facebooker of the year!

Set up an account under a pseudonym, you don't have to put loads of stuff on and share your life with the world...

I think AH was Bob's only grandchild Grainne. Some people never get to meet their grandparents, let alone their great-grandparents. Those that do are very lucky. In this case, any of Bob's very young descendants not only lost Bob, they lost the chance to have a new great-grandma and other family too. That's the saddest thing about missing people. The void they leave behind goes on down the years, until it is filled by them being brought home.

I have seen cases on here where parents have passed, and siblings of the missing - young children when their brother/sister disappeared - are continuing the search, decades later. I can only admire them, and the strength that keeps them going over all those years.

Argh, I had gotten confused. You are quite right, AH's children are Bob's great-grandchildren.

My great-grandfather was lost in WWI, probably in France. My grandfather was a posthumous baby. I know his mother registered her various changes of address with the British post office throughout her lifetime, just in case he might have had amnesia or something and come back. My grandfather continued to do the same for the same reasons throughout his own lifetime.

Rationally, they both realised that he was buried in an unknown grave somewhere in France. But some part of them couldn't give up.

Sometimes the knowledge that eyes across the world are looking at a certain case is enough pressure to push that case into movement.

I'd certainly recommend they write emails to the channel carrying Bob's story (is it Discovery? the intricacies of television are lost on me) and perhaps we could think of another media outlet to express interest to. Is America's Most Wanted still in production?

DUH!!! I just realised, the best media outlet to contact would be the Orange County Register, the local newspaper. That's where all the clues and information are, so that would be the best place to ask for more coverage.

Agreed on the OC Register!! How about the LA Times-they have covered him too? Maybe we can coordinate an effort to raise some media. :)

Quick question; does anyone know where the link is to JuM's video interview? Or the TV station name? Cubby posted it for me and I can't find it now. It doesn't seem to be in our media links thread.

Quick question; does anyone know where the link is to JuM's video interview? Or the TV station name? Cubby posted it for me and I can't find it now. It doesn't seem to be in our media links thread.

I went back and found it, but it appears the link is no longer working. It's going to a different story now. I can't right now, but will try as time permits to see if a working link exists or if KTLV removed the video for some reason.

If the video has been removed, I hope PPD looks into the reason why. I can't help but think Bob's daughters may have had something to do with it. Trying to cover up the inconsistencies in their stories?

Hopefully PPD has already obtained a copy for their investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd