CA CA - Brian Fernandez, 21, & Olivia Gonzalez (dec'd), 20, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2016

I have relatives that take their dogs with them even on a 200 mile (one way) trip to visit relatives for a few hours. Some people are very attached to their pets.

Heck I've taken my birds to a few family parties just because it didn't seem like a party without them! At least when I first got them I did that. For an overnight stay, I either bring them or get a bird sitter.

That picture with the two women at the cliff edge made my heart skip a beat!

Those few seconds of going over and being airborne must have been terrifying :(

If anyone recalls, there were reports of rock slides and boulder slides during that timeframe. Maybe they dodged a boulder, lost control and accidentally went over. :(

I just read this thread today (though not the links). Please humor my belated observations.

Further north on the California coast, Stephen Pease went into the water near Fort Bragg and washed up in Gualala about 60 miles southward. For details, see http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?226254-CA-Stephen-Pease-57-Fort-Bragg-28-Oct-2013&highlight=Mendocino If his car was ever found, the find was not reported in local MSM.

And many years ago, I can recall a driver backing his Mustang across a large pullover and falling over a cliff on Highway 101. The driver was drunk. Five members of the same family died in the crash, with the sole survivor being a boy seated in the middle back.

I just read this thread today (though not the links). Please humor my belated observations.

Further north on the California coast, Stephen Pease went into the water near Fort Bragg and washed up in Gualala about 60 miles southward. For details, see http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?226254-CA-Stephen-Pease-57-Fort-Bragg-28-Oct-2013&highlight=Mendocino If his car was ever found, the find was not reported in local MSM.

And many years ago, I can recall a driver backing his Mustang across a large pullover and falling over a cliff on Highway 101. The driver was drunk. Five members of the same family died in the crash, with the sole survivor being a boy seated in the middle back.

That makes me wonder if they know whether the car went off backwards or forwards, though it still seems like speed would need to be a factor...

I see the tire marks.
attachment.php

Those are from them bringing up the car from the bottom of the cliff. There has been soooo much rain there are no marks left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if they were going the way they should have been on the road, that's what had to have happened.

That's why everyone was talking about how strange this was, and assumed foul play. It just seems crazy. It still could have been an accident, but an insane one. We may never know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You got it. Although I think they probably stopped in a very specific place and something happened to make the car go over the cliff. There are multiple thoughts on why that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping in case anyone missed this.

Stop the accusatory speculation on Fernandez. He is a missing person and considered a victim until/unless LE advises otherwise.

Just because LE says the circumstances are suspicious, there are other possibilities as to what may have occurred that do not involve BF being responsible.

Saying one would apologize to the family if they were wrong doesn't cut it. Too little too late.

WS is victim friendly. Keep it that way.

:tyou:

Boopsquared has done a magnificent job of closeup investigation to inform us of events.

That makes me wonder if they know whether the car went off backwards or forwards, though it still seems like speed would need to be a factor...

With the amount of damage, I really have to agree with you. I can't see how rolling off the edge would cause all that.

With the amount of damage, I really have to agree with you. I can't see how rolling off the edge would cause all that.

It would be interesting to figure out what speed that particular weight car would reach in approximately 325 feet from a slow roll free fall (bouncing off rocks). I'm sure that will be part of the investigation. Also, how far out from the base of the cliff did it land?...another possible indicator of how fast it left the edge, but factoring in bounce. And we still don't know from LE exactly where they left the view point. Lots of forensic physics involved in the calculations. Thank goodness it's not my job!!

It would be interesting to figure out what speed that particular weight car would reach in approximately 325 feet from a slow roll free fall (bouncing off rocks). I'm sure that will be part of the investigation. Also, how far out from the base of the cliff did it land?...another possible indicator of how fast it left the edge, but factoring in bounce. And we still don't know from LE exactly where they left the view point. Lots of forensic physics involved in the calculations. Thank goodness it's not my job!!
I am sure it will take some time and they will do a thorough investigation. I do hope nothing is shared/released until LE have spoke with the families with their findings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm sure they were able to find paint samples on the rocks and scratches/marks on the rocks. It would be interesting to see a recreation, but tragic at the same time.

I wonder how much time and financial resources are available for local LE to spend on this? Will there be a reconstruction, and is his (possible) body still being searched for? I would think at some point they just call it an accident and move on to the next priority. Unfortunately.

I wonder if they could have had a mechanical issue with the car that caused the crash? His car IS on the list of recent Takata Airbag recalls: http://www.airbagrecall.com/home/
This says that the faulty airbags could explode due to changes in moisture or temperature:
The compound can break down and become unstable when your car is exposed to moisture or temperature swings over time, leading to a risk of explosion.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/takata-airbag-recall-guide.html

Would driving from Los Angeles to Big Sur involve a swing in temperature and moisture levels in the air? Just a thought. I'm sure the forensic experts are working on solving what caused the accident and would be able to tell of brakes failed or airbags exploded or something.

I wonder if they could have had a mechanical issue with the car that caused the crash? His car IS on the list of recent Takata Airbag recalls: http://www.airbagrecall.com/home/
This says that the faulty airbags could explode due to changes in moisture or temperature:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/takata-airbag-recall-guide.html

Would driving from Los Angeles to Big Sur involve a swing in temperature and moisture levels in the air? Just a thought. I'm sure the forensic experts are working on solving what caused the accident and would be able to tell of brakes failed or airbags exploded or something.

I was driving from LA to Big Sur on 12/23/16 with my boyfriend to go camping as well. Bases on their timeline, we were probably about an hour behind them on PCH. I moved to SoCal 6 months ago from the midwest and am very experienced in driving in rain, snow, fog, etc. and I was in a Subaru Forester with brand new tires. The drive that day was absolutely terrifying and I've driven in all types of weather. It was raining, foggy and you could barely see anything. The roads get very narrow up there. My honest guess is that they were probably just not experienced in that kind of driving and a honda civic probably did not handle that kind of weather well either. I can easily see how this could be an accident and nothing more because we were on the same roads that day and we almost turned around.

I was driving from LA to Big Sur on 12/23/16 with my boyfriend to go camping as well. Bases on their timeline, we were probably about an hour behind them on PCH. I moved to SoCal 6 months ago from the midwest and am very experienced in driving in rain, snow, fog, etc. and I was in a Subaru Forester with brand new tires. The drive that day was absolutely terrifying and I've driven in all types of weather. It was raining, foggy and you could barely see anything. The roads get very narrow up there. My honest guess is that they were probably just not experienced in that kind of driving and a honda civic probably did not handle that kind of weather well either. I can easily see how this could be an accident and nothing more because we were on the same roads that day and we almost turned around.
BBM

:welcome: iiamthewolf

A big THANK YOU for you first hand account of driving Highway 1 that day. We needed this. I think you are most likely right that lack of experience (possibly slightly excessive speed for the conditions) and the Civic were the causes of the accident. If they tried to dodge a falling rock, another obstacle or vehicle, that may have been the tipping point. Sadly, accidents happen.

I hope your camping trip went well. Welcome to the west coast. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back