Found Deceased CA - British actor Julian Sands, 65, missing in Mount Baldy area, San Gabriel Mountains, last seen 13 Jan 2023

Authorities in the United States have temporarily closed tourist resorts in the Mount Baldy area of the San Gabriel mountains, California, where Julian Sands went missing, due to the danger of avalanches.

The Mount Baldy resort and popular nearby areas were "temporarily closed" on Monday and would remain that way until further notice, authorities said.

Snow storms have battered the southern Californian region throughout the past week, almost two months on from when British actor Sands was first reported missing after setting out for a hike.

Though no evidence of Sands has yet been found, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department previously vowed to "bring closure" to his family.

[...]

Searches by both ground and air have been suspended while adverse weather conditions continue.

Angeles National Forest tweeted: "After major snowfall near steep mountainsides, there can be avalanche danger.

"The Mt Baldy area, including the Mt Baldy Resort and nearby popular areas for snow play, will remain temporarily closed until further notice due to avalanche danger."

[...]

The weather has been brutal in all of our moutain areas. (I'm in CA). It's beautiful to look at but very dangerous to be out in.
I hope & pray Julian will eventually be found. I'd love his family to have some sort of closure.

Is it still bad weather in California?

Over 2 months now...:(
Yes. As @wary said above, it's been one storm after another. The snow is still deep and it's icy in the mountains where Julian was climbing. The weather has been brutal this year. I'm afraid it will be deep into spring or possibly early summer before the mountain where Julian was climbing can be accessed safely IMO. I'm hopeful at some point they will be able to find him. Given the weather and animals (bears, bobcats, mountain lions, birds of prey) in our local mountains it worries me though.

Last edited:
WE ARE CLOSE. WE NEED 500 DOLLARS IN DONATIONS TO REACH OUR GOAL TO KEEP WEBSLEUTHS GOING.
Every month for about 228 months (that is 19 years) I have gladly paid the bills. Rarely over the 19 years have I asked for your help. THANK YOU to all who have donated. I will post an announcement and stop accepting donations when we reach our goal!
Please use PayPal Pay Websleuths.com, LLC using PayPal.Me
If the PayPal link does not work for you go to www.paypal.com and put in the email websleuths.com@gmail.com and you can send a donation that way.
Venmo name is Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

(PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS DONATIONS ON THIS THREAD. CLICK HERE FOR DISCUSSION AND MORE INFORMATION)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tricia

The son of missing British actor Julian Sands has thanked rescuers for their efforts in trying to locate his father, more than three months since he disappeared on a mountain near Los Angeles.

The search to find Sands, 65, has been complicated by bad weather as Southern California has been battered by punishing storms over the winter. Mount Baldy, where Sands went missing on January 13, has had unusually heavy snowfall, making the already treacherous conditions worse.

The San Bernardino county sheriff’s department, which is conducting the search, has been using drones in an attempt to find Sands and said a ground search will resume.

[...]

JUN 19

Still missing.

Authorities say parts of the mountain remain inaccessible "due to extreme alpine conditions" despite the recent warmer weather. The department added that many areas of the steep and rugged terrain still have over 10 feet of ice and snow.

Search for missing actor Julian Sands scaled back​

After a major drive at the weekend search efforts for the actor, who went missing in January, are being reduced to a ‘limited capacity’ say Californian authorities

Hikers around Mt. Baldy discovered a body around 10 a.m. and notified authorities, according to a statement from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s
A middle-aged man in a suit and tie poses in front of a leafy green backdrop

The body was transported from the wilderness to the county coroner’s office for formal identification this week, the statement said. No other details were available.

Sands, a British actor who appeared in “Room With a View,” “Warlock” and “The Killing Fields,” has been missing since Jan. 13.

Last weekend, the Sheriff’s Department restarted its search for Sands, with more than 80 volunteers, deputies and other sheriff’s staff combing the Mt. Baldy wilderness. Despite using two helicopters and a drone team, the team was not able to locate the 65-year-old.

Hikers on Saturday found human remains in a Southern California mountain area where British actor Julian Sands disappeared five months ago, authorities said.

The body was discovered around 10am in wilderness near Mount Baldy.

It was transported to the coroner's office for identification next week, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

Sands, an avid hiker and mountaineer, was reported missing on January 13 after setting out on the peak that rises more than 10,000 feet east of Los Angeles. The region was pounded by severe storms during winter.

On Friday, his family released its first statement since Sands' disappearance.

'We continue to hold Julian in our hearts with bright memories of him as a wonderful father, husband, explorer, lover of the natural world and the arts, and as an original and collaborative performer,' the statement said.

[...]

Hikers on Saturday found human remains in a Southern California mountain area where British actor Julian Sands disappeared five months ago, authorities said.

The body was discovered around 10am in wilderness near Mount Baldy.

It was transported to the coroner's office for identification next week, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

Sands, an avid hiker and mountaineer, was reported missing on January 13 after setting out on the peak that rises more than 10,000 feet east of Los Angeles. The region was pounded by severe storms during winter.

On Friday, his family released its first statement since Sands' disappearance.

'We continue to hold Julian in our hearts with bright memories of him as a wonderful father, husband, explorer, lover of the natural world and the arts, and as an original and collaborative performer,' the statement said.

[...]

Saw this news . . . hoping and praying JS has been found.

JMVHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back