CA - Clara Laird, 86, dies in mercy killing, Seal Beach, 21 Nov 2010

Does anyone think the DA may be overcharging this husband in order to get a debate going on this issue or the issue of assisted suicide?

I would hate for this poor man to be used for such a purpose, but I definitely believe a meaningful debate is necessary and tragically overdue.

Does anyone think the DA may be overcharging this husband in order to get a debate going on this issue or the issue of assisted suicide?

I sure hope not. A debate and/or discussion are fine, but for heaven's sake, leave this poor man alone. Let his family and his God deal with him as they see fit.

Nope. The OC DA's overcharge cause that's what they do.
They could have waited to charge him. They have all the time in the world to do so. He's not going anywhere and they could have held discussions outside the courtroom about how to handle. Even if they were going to ultimately charge him, they could do it in months from now if they want. Are we all safe now that he is off the streets? Flight risk? please.

THIS IS A DIFFERENT STORY:

This guy did the same thing last year, in Leisure World in Laguna Woods. Gave his wife morphine and then shot her and then himself. He ultimately succumbed to his injuries and the OC DA dropped the case.
But her was charged with discharging a firearm and voluntary manslaughter. His wife was in hospice so I guess they cut him a break.

ALERT DIFFERENT STORY DIFFERNT STORY

Doctor Accused in "Mercy Killing" of Wife Dies

Prosecutors say Fish gave his 88-year-old wife, Phyllis Fish, morphine on Sept. 21 and then shot both his wife and himself in the head.

Neighbors say Phyllis Fish had terminal pancreatic cancer and dementia after a debilitating stroke.

James Fish was charged with voluntary manslaughter.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-elder-shooting,0,208291.story

There IS such a thing as living too long. Someday if & when we are a more civilized and advanced society (if that day ever comes..) we will have things such as humane euthanasia for humans, so people can chose (or, their loved ones can choose if they are incapacitated) the time and method of their death, and die in dignity and comfort with their loved ones.... so desperate and heartbroken people like this man don't have to be driven to do such drastic things, and then be punished for it.

Have they reduced bond for this man yet?
Or are we still paying to keep him in a jail cell?
He is zero risk to society. The local tax payers should protest outside the jail until he is released to his family. He can stand trial if the case comes to the docket while he is still alive.

I've seen my mom suffer from osteocarcinoma and my aunt from dementia...I think the DA is charging due to the method of this mercy killing...IMO

Had he give her sleeping pills or pain meds and she OD'd, that would been seen as mercy not a bullet to her head...there are more compassionate ways to end a life...JMHO

I do believe that people should have the decency to die as they wish, especially when their dignity has been taken through some horrible disease. I saw mom/aunt go from a vibrant, independant woman to one who became an infant. Couldn't feed themselves, couldn't get dressed...My mom was bedridden but auntie was still able to walk on her own. She couldn't speak, couldn't feed herself but at the end stages of alzheimers, she had to be placed in a nursing facility...and died a few short months later...but as many times as I wanted to end their lives for them, I knew it was against the law and I'd go to prison, leave my husband and my children/grandchildren and that wasn't an option, for me...JMHO

A true mercy killing should be done as painless as possible...I think Dr. Kevorkians method could have also been used... Which is why hospices are the ideal place for human euthanasia...all states should have them...JMHO

JMHO

I've seen my mom suffer from osteocarcinoma and my aunt from dementia...I think the DA is charging due to the method of this mercy killing...IMO

Had he give her sleeping pills or pain meds and she OD'd, that would been seen as mercy not a bullet to her head...there are more compassionate ways to end a life...JMHO

I do believe that people should have the decency to die as they wish, especially when their dignity has been taken through some horrible disease. I saw mom/aunt go from a vibrant, independant woman to one who became an infant. Couldn't feed themselves, couldn't get dressed...My mom was bedridden but auntie was still able to walk on her own. She couldn't speak, couldn't feed herself but at the end stages of alzheimers, she had to be placed in a nursing facility...and died a few short months later...but as many times as I wanted to end their lives for them, I knew it was against the law and I'd go to prison, leave my husband and my children/grandchildren and that wasn't an option, for me...JMHO

A true mercy killing should be done as painless as possible...I think Dr. Kevorkians method could have also been used... Which is why hospices are the ideal place for human euthanasia...all states should have them...JMHO

JMHO

This man may have used the only method he had available to use. It is possible he did not have access to pain meds or sleeping pills, and it is possible that her condition made swallowing very difficult.

Not that I want to die by being shot in the head, but it seems to me that if the brain is impacted, it can no longer send out signals for pain---so no pain will be felt.

I believe this husband acted out of mercy, and IF IF IF you are right and the DA is charging due to the method of causing death, that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms!

My husband and I have discussed just this kind of situation and neither of us would want to live like that. I would assume most couples discuss these issues. I say let the man go. It couldnt have been easy for him to do this. Their daughter even believes he did it out of love. I just think its horrible that the legal system doesnt take these things into consideration. It would be different if she was in her right mind and still functioning but she wasnt. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back