Still Missing CA - Classic (Orson West, 3) & Cincere (Orrin West, 4) Calif. City, *parents charged* 21 Dec 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno -- I think we all know who/what is responsible here but I also think that if the case was built on the interview of a minor child, it somewhat explains the 2nd-degree charges as well as the earlier Trombetta Motion.

No body homicide prosecutions are only as good as the strength of the circumstantial evidence. I purposely try to avoid CA prosecutions where I personally find jurors tend to overthink the evidence. Not sure what the result will be here. MOO

2/16/23

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — Attorneys representing Trezell and Jacqueline West in the deaths of their young adopted sons requested evidence Thursday that includes a two-hour interview in which one of the couple’s other children allegedly made a statement defense counsel says forms the crux of the prosecution’s case.

Alekxia Torres Stallings, one of the attorneys representing Jacqueline West, repeatedly said Orrin and Orson West were abducted as she enumerated for Judge Charles R. Brehmer the information the defense is missing. She did not elaborate on what the child allegedly said.

I hate to think what the minor child may have witnessed. :mad:
Based on the length of time that passed prior to the arrest of the parents, I don't believe the child witnessed anything physical.

There were two adults to cover for each other and if the victims were missing for 3 months prior to the "staged abduction" -- I have a feeling the child was able to tell LE that their brothers were missing prior to the date they were reported missing. And also that the child had not seen them for months. IMO, investigators had to craft the timeline with other evidence and witness sightings.

MAR 20, 2023
[...]

Judge Charles Brehmer requested 132 jurors be sent to his courtroom Monday, according to Superior Court Public Information Officer Kristin Davis. They began filling out questionnaires asking about their availability and general questions about prior knowledge of this case, Davis wrote in an email.

Jury selection is slated to last until Friday with opening statements scheduled to begin March 28. The tentative schedule says the trial will last until May.

[...]

An indictment said the Wests murdered their adoptive children between Sept. 1, 2020 and Sept. 11, 2020. Both defendants also “induced a minor to commit or assist in the commission of the crime,” the indictment said, while also taking “advantage of a position of trust or confidence to commit the offense.”

Another allegation in the indictment said defendants “threatened witnesses, unlawfully prevented or dissuaded witnesses from testifying, suborned perjury, or in any way illegally interfered with the judicial process.”

[...]

MAR 20, 2023
[...]

The groups — the first contained 70 potential jurors, the second had 62 — filled out a hardship questionnaire as well as a questionnaire asking if they’ve heard media coverage of the case against Trezell and Jacqueline West.

Of the first group, 36 had heard about the case, as had 38 in the second group.

Judge Charles R. Brehmer ordered more than 40 potential jurors back Thursday for questioning by attorneys. Additionally, more jury panels will be called in Tuesday.

[...]

Some were excused for writing they could not be fair or impartial and believed the Wests are guilty. The judge excused one person who wrote they have anxiety, and another who said they become emotional in cases involving children.

[...]

IMO, there will be plenty of evidence outside of the child's statement.

The bio Mom will likely testify that she felt the boy's were being abused very early on. Other family members will testify regarding the last time they saw the boys. Also how the boys appearances had changed leading up to their disapearance. The video of Trezell alone in the backyard, no boys in sight. The neighbor who never saw them in the backyard in Bakersfield. I feel the possibilty of a conviction is strong.

One thing's for sure, neither of them will likely take the stand.

MAR 21, 2023
[...]

While many prospective jurors were excused from the 126 called to report Tuesday, several dozen will return Thursday. They’ll join dozens more who filled out questionnaires Monday and were told to come back.

On Thursday, attorneys will question potential jurors and begin selecting people to serve. The trial is expected to last more than a month.

[...]

Jury selection continues Wednesday.

I wonder what evidence the defense will offer? It seems like all they can do is tear up the prosecution case. Which means putting doubt on the child's testimony. And any other evidence the defense presents.
Yes, Mickey2942, I wonder the same. But for me, as a mom, lying about your kids being missing is enough for me, ala casey Anthony and Lori Daybell. You had one job.

MAR 22, 2023
A Kern County judge on Wednesday found a gag order issued in the case of two missing California City boys and whose adoptive parents are facing murder charges does not include certain records that may be held by Child Protective Services.

With Judge Charles R. Brehmer’s clarification, specific records regarding prior referrals to CPS about Orrin and Orson West may be disclosed.

[...]

Kern County Department of Human Services won’t release reports pertaining to California City boys Orrin and Orson West after prosecutors said their release could jeopardize criminal proceedings against the boys’ adoptive parents.

DHS senior paralegal Etta Sharp late Wednesday afternoon provided two one-page forms sent to the state Department of Social Services after law enforcement determined the boys died from abuse but said no further information would be released. The forms — one issued for each child — were completed July 12 and say the date of the boys’ deaths is unknown.

“Our agency received a communication (from the DA’s office) that indicated release of any emergency response referral information, any cross reports completed by the agency, risk and safety assessments, copies of any police reports, or any description of the services provided would jeopardize an ongoing criminal proceeding,” Sharp wrote.

[...]

MAR 22, 2023
A Kern County Superior Court judge clarified a gag order Wednesday issued in the California City brothers adoptive parents’ murder trial and agreed with The Californian’s stance: A gag order doesn’t bar the release of records requested by this newspaper about the brothers’ interactions with social workers.

Despite this ruling by Judge Charles Brehmer, some records The Californian seeks are banned from public review after a juvenile court judge issued a protective order to limit disseminating documents.

[...]

The information revealed Wednesday was limited. The boys died in the home of a parent or legal guardian from abuse — not neglect, the newly disclosed records said. There was also an investigation by law enforcement and Child Welfare Services/Probation, though it wasn’t known when the boys died, the records said.

[...]

What? That's confusing?

It sounds like CPS wants to keep the details of the adoption confidential. However, records relating to interactions with the boys and social workers can be released.

If the lawsuit by the biological parents goes through, the adoption process records regarding placement with the Wests would have to be released (?).

MAR 22, 2023
A Kern County Superior Court judge clarified a gag order Wednesday issued in the California City brothers adoptive parents’ murder trial and agreed with The Californian’s stance: A gag order doesn’t bar the release of records requested by this newspaper about the brothers’ interactions with social workers.

Despite this ruling by Judge Charles Brehmer, some records The Californian seeks are banned from public review after a juvenile court judge issued a protective order to limit disseminating documents.

[...]

The information revealed Wednesday was limited. The boys died in the home of a parent or legal guardian from abuse — not neglect, the newly disclosed records said. There was also an investigation by law enforcement and Child Welfare Services/Probation, though it wasn’t known when the boys died, the records said.

[...]
I very much support that all the info for this case remains sealed and not released to the public or the bio-family until the adoptive parents have their day and court and they are judged by the evidence. My allegiance is to these innocent children and that they receive justice after so many adults failed them.

I recall the Wests began fostering the toddlers in 2018 and adopted the brothers almost two years later. It wasn't long after the adoptions that the boys were reported missing. MOO

I dunno -- I think we all know who/what is responsible here but I also think that if the case was built on the interview of a minor child, it somewhat explains the 2nd-degree charges as well as the earlier Trombetta Motion.

No body homicide prosecutions are only as good as the strength of the circumstantial evidence. I purposely try to avoid CA prosecutions where I personally find jurors tend to overthink the evidence. Not sure what the result will be here. MOO

2/16/23

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — Attorneys representing Trezell and Jacqueline West in the deaths of their young adopted sons requested evidence Thursday that includes a two-hour interview in which one of the couple’s other children allegedly made a statement defense counsel says forms the crux of the prosecution’s case.

Alekxia Torres Stallings, one of the attorneys representing Jacqueline West, repeatedly said Orrin and Orson West were abducted as she enumerated for Judge Charles R. Brehmer the information the defense is missing. She did not elaborate on what the child allegedly said.
They're going to force a child into that position. I back that Brave child all the way with love,and strength. MOO

MAR 23, 2023
There will be no closure at the end of the trial of Trezell and Jacqueline West, defense attorney Timothy Hennessy told potential jurors.

He told them to forget about a storybook ending. Not all questions will be answered.

[...]

Eric Smith is the prosecutor handling the case.

Prospective jurors were asked if they can set aside their emotions while hearing testimony from child witnesses, pay attention to “hours upon hours” of surveillance footage, ignore media coverage, treat civilian witnesses on an equal footing with police witnesses and remain fair and impartial throughout the proceedings. They were asked about their employment, prior contacts with law enforcement, whether they’d served on a jury before.

[...]

A number of people were dismissed. Some said they simply couldn’t sit on a trial involving child victims. Others were excused by attorneys with no reason given.

A second group of prospective jurors was called into the courtroom late Thursday afternoon. Jury selection will continue Friday morning and is expected to finish by the end of the day. The trial is slated to begin Tuesday.

"Not all questions will be answered.".

I am trying to figure out what the defense position will be...make the state prove a negative, "Where are the boys?"

Will the Trezells stay with their story that Mr. Trezell was getting wood, and the "rambunctious boys" just "disappeared" out of the yard?

Attorneys used stories to illustrate legal concepts. Through a PowerPoint presentation, Hennessy adapted the tale of the “The Three Pigs” with the Big Bad Wolf as a defendant on trial and asked potential jurors to reach a conclusion on whether the wolf should be found guilty of residential terror.

Torres Stallings talked about the Trojan Horse in asking whether the group would be willing to question an investigation after the fact. In that story, the Trojans brought the huge wooden horse within their well-defended city without thoroughly examining it and were defeated when Greek soldiers hiding inside later opened the gates for their countrymen.

The attorney was illustrating how jurors should think for themselves and question evidence; it may not be what it seems.

Smith said 99.9% of murder trials have a body. He asked potential jurors if they could sit on a trial in which there was circumstantial evidence someone died but no images of the victims’ bodies.

A number of people were dismissed. Some said they simply couldn’t sit on a trial involving child victims. Others were excused by attorneys with no reason given.

A second group of prospective jurors was called into the courtroom late Thursday afternoon. Jury selection will continue Friday morning and is expected to finish by the end of the day. The trial is slated to begin Tuesday.

The defense attorney's "stories" are strange. Is that some kind of Rorschach test designed by a jury consultant? I wonder how some of those potential jurors reacted to the three little pigs powerpoint?

Personally, I would find it offensive and demeaning.

While I think being on a jury about missing children would be difficult, I would be able to be impartial, because if no one wants to be involved with a trial about "missing" children, then how would justice ever be served?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member