Found Safe CA - Cody Michael, 23, Donner Summit, Placer County, 16 May 2016

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, May 17, 2016.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

2. Loading...

3. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

texted his folks that picture Monday morning, saying he was leaving the area soon. Who took the pic? Where or what is doggie looking toward? Vehicle found at trailhead.

4. AzPistonsGirl

Loch Leven trail looks to circle around several lakes (loch, I get it). Could doggie have been in distress and Cody went in to help? Grasping at straws - he looks very fit - pics show just how many vehicles are there with folks trying to help - wow.

ETA: and of course, anyone could have accessed Cody's phone to send the pic.

5. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

6. AzPistonsGirl

so either a group he was with took the pic, or he took it himself with a self timer - that is what I get from the comments. My questions were early on and I figured answers to those would start trickling out - was just posting some brainstorming ideas.

7. nikb

nikb New Member

Just saw this on my local news. :( I hope he's found quickly. It's gorgeous if not even a little hot around here in the valley today (94 degrees where I live; looks like around 65 degrees high around Donner). Of course it'll be cold at night, but it looks like he has a good pack so hopefully he's well prepared. I hope he's found really soon.

8. Secrett

Secrett Member

Someone commented that their hiking group took the photo of him on Sunday (not his group.. he was solo with dog) I'm assuming from comments that they used his phone to take the photo and then he texted the photo to his family with the update that he was expecting to be back Monday. The group that took the photo notified the Sheriff of the location and where Cody told them he was heading to. (somewhere to the 'second lake' )

Fingers crossed they locate him soon.

9. nikb

nikb New Member

There wasn't much of an update on the news tonight except they did say his cell phone battery was almost dead, so that's probably why they haven't heard from him again via text. At first it sounded ominous but now I'm just thinking dead battery. They look pretty well prepared for the hike so I am hoping they're okay even if they have a chilly night up there together. They should have plenty of water, and his pack looks like he's got food and hopefully warmer clothes in it. Facebook finally posted the dog's name too, Bauer (not sure on the spelling).

Sending warm thoughts to both of them tonight and hoping they are found tomorrow. For some reason I keep picturing Bauer leading rescuers to Cody, if he's stuck or injured.

10. mrsobrien

mrsobrien Active Member

I'm very worried. .. His dog is gorgeous and is very likely with Cody as we speak, I'd trust a GSD in this situation over any other breed I know. *fingers crossed *

11. nikb

nikb New Member

12. JLSChook

JLSChook Fin's Pet

13. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Member

The Placer County Sheriff's Office is conducting a search and rescue operation near Donner Summit for a hiker and his dog who didn't return home as planned on Monday.
    If anyone was hiking in the Loch Leven area, near Hampshire Rocks Road, on Sunday or Monday, and saw Cody Michael and his German shepherd, please call the Sheriff's Office at 530-886-5375.
    Cody, who resides in Rocklin, texted this photo to his family Monday morning, and he said he would be leaving the area by noon. They haven't heard from his since.
    Placer County Sheriff's Search and Rescue ground and dog teams are hiking the area. The CHP is assisting with air support.
    Cody A. Michael is 23 years old, stands 5-feet, 10-inches tall, and weighs 175 pounds. He has brown hair and green eyes. He was last seen wearing the clothes in the photo. His vehicle was found at the trailhead.

14. anonypotomous

anonypotomous Active Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. nikb

nikb New Member

16. nikb

nikb New Member

17. gypsyblue

gypsyblue this is not what Haleigh would have wanted

18. illyana

illyana New Member

CBS Local

Same reporter at 12:53 AM:
    [video=twitter;733203931593986048]https://twitter.com/NewsMcGraw/status/733203931593986048[/video]

19. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

20. audsmommy

audsmommy New Member

I am hoping he is just hurt and waiting patiently to be found. My husband is a big backpacker and we probably have 100 of those pics from when my husband backpacked in his early twenties with our shepherd. Same red backpack and same little booties. Cody did all the right things. He told people where he was going, he was well stocked with supplies and he sent texts and videos. It should help tremendously in helping locate him.

21. JLSChook

JLSChook Fin's Pet

I checked the Placer County FB page and there isn't anything new since they went home last night. :(

Here's part of the update from last night:

https://www.facebook.com/PlacerSheriff/?fref=nf