https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

Found Alive CA - Cody Wayne King, 24, car got stuck in snow, Shaver Lake, Fresno County, 19 Feb 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Feb 20, 2020.

1. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

SHAVER LAKE, Calif. (FOX26) — The Fresno County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue team is looking for 24-year-old Cody Wayne King in the Dinkey Creek/Shaver Lake area.

The sheriff's office says Cody was with his girlfriend when his vehicle got stuck in the snow.

Cody left the vehicle and his girlfriend to find help.

When he did not return, she hiked out on foot and found a person who reported what happened.

Cody's sister, Heyley Callison, said her brother was last seen in the Dinkey Creek/Shaver Lake area around 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

She says he is 5' 11", 150 lbs. with dark blond hair and blue eyes.

If you have any information, you're asked to call the Fresno County Sheriff's Office at (559) 600-3111.

[​IMG]

Search and Rescue looking for man missing near Shaver Lake

Shaver Lake has a population of only about 630 people. Looks very rural.

2. GuyfromCanada

Concerning comments.

FOX26

3. brooks

brooks Well-Known Member

Very handsome young man. Praying for his safety.

4. Coppertop15

Coppertop15 Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Dinkey Creek is nowhere. There are bumper stickers that say, "Where the He.. is Dinkey Creek?" And at 6 pm, it would just be the darkest of dark. Right now it's getting warm during the day, but cold at night. I hope he has found a place to hunker down.

5. Hoosier952

Hoosier952 Well-Known Member

The news article makes it sound like he walked through the woods rather than walking along the road. The terrain doesn't look overly friendly for an unplanned hike in the dark. Interesting they think they've found his camp. I hope that means he was able to start a fire and warm up a bit. Does seem a bit odd he'd leave his girlfriend stranded and then camp overnight knowing she was alone, so I'm guessing he must have took off hiking aiming for the shortest hike to help.

I looked briefly but couldn't find much information. Are any of the campgrounds in that area open year round? Camp stores? Ranger stations?

6. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

dinkey creek shaver lake campgrounds

Some campgrounds scattered around. Open this time of year? I camped near this area once when visiting Yosemite and Sequoia NP's and the campground we chose to stay in was pretty rustic. And a little farther north, but I imagine similar to the others.

7. brooks

brooks Well-Known Member

Fresno County Sheriff's Office
    2 hrs ·
    The Fresno County Sheriff's Office currently has about 25 of its Search and Rescue (SAR) members in the Dinkey Creek area near Shaver Lake looking for Cody King. Cody is a 24 year old Clovis man who is 5'11, 150 lbs.

Cody and his girlfriend drove to the Dinkey Creek area Wednesday and got their vehicle stuck in the snow. That night, Cody hiked out to get help.

Thursday morning when he did not return, the girlfriend hiked out. She got to a phone and called law enforcement for help finding Cody.

We have found some evidence that Cody may have left behind, but we haven't found him yet. We also spoke with a PG&E worker who says he gave Cody a ride Wednesday night to Bald Mountain Pass so he could try and get cell phone service. We have focused search efforts in that area.

We are aware of some people online talking about going out and creating their own search party to look for Cody. We discourage this. They could destroy evidence (shoe tracks) and if they get lost, we would now have to try and find them as well.

Anyone with information about Cody King can call the Sheriff's Office at (559) 600-3111.

8. Hoosier952

Wonder why he didn't try to enlist the help of the PG&E worker to either unstuck the vehicle or at least go back to the girlfriend and get them both to safety? Or even put a call out for them when he got to an area with service?

For locals, when they speak of Dinkey Creek area, are they talking about the localized area around the campgrounds/park or does encompasses a vast area?

sassyblue, zecats and bradfordsleuth like this.
  9. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

He had someone helping him! What went wrong after that? Would there have been somewhere in Bald Mountain Pass to get warm and call for help? Did the person leave without knowing whether he got help??

zecats, Hoosier952 and TatianaBarbie like this.
  10. mrfrinkles

mrfrinkles Active Member

This is starting to sound really bad for Cody.

Hoosier952 likes this.
  11. Coppertop15

Ooo, did not expect that someone gave him a ride! That honestly makes me more worried.

12. Coppertop15

There are several campgrounds in Dinkey Creek. And the eponymous road. I wouldn't call it vast, but I wouldn't want to try to search it either.

LadyL, Hoosier952 and TatianaBarbie like this.
  13. Hoosier952

This whole thing is kinda baffling to me. It sounds like he had a great opportunity for help that he passed up. His girlfriend managed to hike out and made it to a phone. I assume having daylight on her side was a huge benefit and she probably stayed on the road. Have searchers found more than one recent camp? If he has a way to start a fire and there's snow/water, he's got some time to be found. Wonder what he was wearing? Wonder why the utility worker didn't stick around?

LadyL, sassyblue, Atrain18 and 2 others like this.
  14. Atrain18

Atrain18 Active Member

We have a family cabin in Shaver Lake, about 12 miles west of Dinkey Creek.

"Dinkey Creek" refers to a stretch of a few campgrounds, a general store, a historic bridge and the "slicks". The campgrounds are seasonal, only open May-October and they book fast. The general store is usually only open in the summer. The historic bridge is a great photo opp and the road beyond it leads to giant redwoods called McKinley Grove about 6 miles away. The "slicks" are granite waterslides on Dinkey Creek that are popular in the summer. It's basically a summer destination for campers, hikers and the "slicks".

Bald Mountain is a popular 4 wheel drive area for Jeeps and trucks. There's no way the PG&E truck took CK up this offroad trail. Sounds like CK was dropped off at one of the fireroads that leads up to Bald Mountain.

I've always gotten decent cell reception at Shaver Lake, both with Verizon and AT&T.

PG&E and SoCal Edison own a lot of the land in this area. A lot of the fireroads are frequented by utility trucks.

I don't understand why CK was dropped off where he was allegedly dropped off at. Why not take him to Shaver Lake? Or why not have the PG&E worker call/radio for help? If he was dropped off at the Bald Mountain fireroad, why not follow Dinkey Creek Road back to Dinkey Creek (2-3 miles) or down to Shaver Lake (8-9 miles)? Shaver Lake has a fire station, cell service, stores, cabins, people, etc.

I was in the area during MLK weekend. The roads were clear and there was only about 12-16" of snow on the ground. That was a month ago. Lows have been in the mid-20s to low-30s.

15. catch_22

catch_22 Well-Known Member

Very strange story. Two alledged sightings that turned out to be lies? He got a ride, but was then dropped off in the middle of nowhere? He decides to go for help just as it is getting dark? Through the woods?

Hopefully he is found safe.

It sounds like there could be a lot more to the actual story.

IMO

sassyblue, Hoosier952 and brooks like this.
  16. Coppertop15

I agree. I just don't see why you wouldn't take him to Shaver.

17. Coppertop15

18. mrfrinkles

mrfrinkles Active Member

kelsie, Marmlet, YaYa_521 and 3 others like this.
  19. GuyfromCanada

20. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

Wow, yet another actual successful survival story against the odds. I should buy a lottery ticket, it must be a lucky week!

kelsie, LadyL, YaYa_521 and 5 others like this.