CA CA - Crystal Tymich, 6, Los Angeles, 30 June 1994

My three older brothers hated having me tag along, which made me a bit of a loner. I think the boys were too young for such a huge responsibility. I'm wondering if the owner of the peach tree saw the children throwing the peaches and I'm imagining they wouldn't have been too happy about it & I wonder if the neighbour had words with the kids, if so, is that why the boys ran off & leave little Crystal alone?
I'm wondering if the female minister had drug, alcohol or AA meetings at her home too?? Just thinking out loud guys.
I'm amazed that there are women being found all across the world who have been abducted as children. It gives slight hope for Crystal & Maddy McCann.

BBM. Good point. AA meetings do attract people who are predators. Often they are seeking single moms or vulnerable people from meetings. If you think about someone trying to get clean, they have to re-create themselves. That is a hard process. That is why they advise against relationships and major life changes until a year of sobriety. I was also thinking about Stephanie Crane, October 1993. I wonder if we looked we could see a trend of prepubescent girls disappearing around this time. :twocents:

Good catch. I think it is another way to show the conflicting information that we have gotten on this case. It could be an innocent error -- perhaps the kids were called so they could all go out to see the movie in the theater and it was written incorrectly. Maybe it was another Disney Movie that they were going to watch on video

Either way, with what we have, it doesn't make the brothers look good. We really need to find out why there are several different versions of what happened. Did the version depend on which brother you ask? Was one version the observation of a neighbor? Did they tell their parents one thing and police another? I wish we could get the brothers on the thread to comment.

Are the brothers actively searching for her? Was it a family member who created the Facebook page?

I agree. The Lion King thing could be an error. My feeling was this was a very emotional time for these kids, the parents were distracted, the boys felt guilty, etc. I can see an older sibling maybe pulling something like this off, but the younger siblings wouldn't be able hold a story together that long. And it is not like kids that age would be able to commit a perfect crime. IMOO.

Good catch. I think it is another way to show the conflicting information that we have gotten on this case. It could be an innocent error -- perhaps the kids were called so they could all go out to see the movie in the theater and it was written incorrectly. Maybe it was another Disney Movie that they were going to watch on video

Either way, with what we have, it doesn't make the brothers look good. We really need to find out why there are several different versions of what happened. Did the version depend on which brother you ask? Was one version the observation of a neighbor? Did they tell their parents one thing and police another? I wish we could get the brothers on the thread to comment.

Are the brothers actively searching for her? Was it a family member who created the Facebook page?

I agree. The Lion King thing could be an error. My feeling was this was a very emotional time for these kids, the parents were distracted, the boys felt guilty, etc. I can see an older sibling maybe pulling something like this off, but the younger siblings wouldn't be able hold a story together that long. And it is not like kids that age would be able to commit a perfect crime. IMOO.

It's not so far-fetched to think that perhaps the brothers are the culprits. We've seen that be the case many times....

Honestly, as unpleasant a thought as that is....it was my first thought. An accident perhaps. I dont know.

Why is it that when I look at this child's picture that I think of the scene from the movie Forrest gump where little Jenny is praying in the corn field that God would turn her in to a bird so she could fly far far away?
Why did she keep going to neighbors houses and say she was going to run away? Was that a six year olds way of begging for help?
Someone was doing something to this child, and she was going to tell. They silenced her.

So this is a minor thing, but I think the brother's recollection is off. He says that he and his siblings were called in to watch "The Lion King" but that movie came out on June 15th, 1994 in theatres and wasn't released on VHS until 1995. I was in 4th grade in '94 and was obsessed with that movie and saw it many times at the theatre, so that part stuck out to me and I just now double checked and googled the release dates.

So....that doesn't really help anything, sorry. Just wanted to mention that!

The more I think about this case, the more these discrepancies bother me. Maybe the brothers remembered wrong because they were so traumatized, but did nobody catch this error before you? It's pretty easy to fact check this. Did their grandmother or any other adults interviewed mention The Lion King? If not, isn't that a red flag?

Or maybe by "the family was planning to watch the movie The Lion King," the writer meant to convey that the family intended to go to a movie theater to see it.

I too wonder if the brothers know more than they've let on and agreed to keep quiet. Maybe they deliberately left her behind and didn't want to tell anyone at the time, and now they figure it will just hurt their family if they say something.

If the bike story is really what happened, would a 6-year-old girl have been able to ride as fast and as well as her 3 older brothers? Did she still have training wheels? Maybe she fell behind and got lost, or she got mad she couldn't keep up and wandered off on her own. Or maybe she fell off and her brothers didn't see her, and someone offered to help her and instead kidnapped her.

I also find the photo odd. What are the odds of having a pro photo in the exact same outfit as the one she goes missing? I guess it could have been a favorite outfit, but it's nothing special... just a T-shirt and shorts.

Also, this photo is the only one using a drop cloth background rather than the standard dappled screen used in the other pro photos. Makes me wonder if it might have been done by a semi-pro.

I hope/assume someone looked into any possible connection.

I would think it's just the same outfit.. probably not on the exact day she wore it. I wonder about the bones though.....some bad people start on animals before anything else. I wonder the details on them. Depending...the neighbors could have been more worth looking into then Le thought at the time. They would know the routine and had access to see the girl.

I looked at the 6000 block of Brynhurst (the street she went missing from and where her dad's house is located) on street view. The neighborhood is not like I imagined.

I expected rows of small old one story homes on small lots, and some are, but half the street is full of big blocks of two story apartments. They are old enough to have been there when Crystal went missing.

Because there are so many apartments, rather than just single occupancy homes, there are a lot more residents on that street than you would normally have in a neighborhood, including more street traffic. There's a disproportionate amount of transient/temporary residents due to there being so many apartments. The way the apartments are situated does not make for much interaction with other neighbors who are in houses so I assume people would be less likely to know many of those neighbors, and that adds a whole lot more people to be considered than just a few neighbors and their guests.

I just looked at it last night as well! I even went back in time on google maps history. It is like a side road in between two major ones. Easy access to be gone in minutes. :( The neighborhood wasn't what I expected either.

I haven't seen this tidbit posted yet:

"Police say they have no solid leads. However, after a television report on Crystal's disappearance, police received calls from people who said they thought they had seen her in Downey, Santa Fe Springs and Bell Gardens."

Anyone good with maps and/ or familiar with LA that can tell us how far these places are from where she was last seen?

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-21/local/me-18246_1_search-continues

I haven't seen this tidbit posted yet:

"Police say they have no solid leads. However, after a television report on Crystal's disappearance, police received calls from people who said they thought they had seen her in Downey, Santa Fe Springs and Bell Gardens."

Anyone good with maps and/ or familiar with LA that can tell us how far these places are from where she was last seen?

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-21/local/me-18246_1_search-continues

OK, quoting my own post. I had some time so I mapped it myself. It's pretty basic (don't know how to add fancy icons, etc.) but here it is:

http://goo.gl/maps/Zqhih

Downey, Bell Gardens and Santa Fe Springs are within 20 minutes of one another and all are about 45-50 minutes east of her fathers home in South LA.

Honestly, as unpleasant a thought as that is....it was my first thought. An accident perhaps. I dont know.

That is always a possibility, but I doubt they could have hidden her so well. If they had done something by accident they would have been afraid and gone for help. On purpose and I think she would have been found. They didn't have the resources to get her too far away, unless some of the old houses had cisterns or old wells that were unknown except to a few people. I could see that scenario because LE wouldn't necessarily know about it and the people that did may not have thought about it.

I think the story changing so much is a combination of guilt (but only in so much that she disappeared while they were "responsible" for her), passage of time and possibly interference (even if innocent) from people asking questions or leading them to answers. I think they would have had a chard time hiding the body so well and keeping the secret for all these years. That'd be a huge burden to bear for people so young and I imagine it would have manifested in some way.

I agree that the bothers' recall of the incident is only important in that it shows that this was not an internal problem. Someone outside the family took this little girl. We now know that there are many sex offenders in the world and probably some living right in her neighborhood. Law enforcement has to go back and interview neighbors who may know of someone who now has a record as a sex offender, someone, a relative, friend, neighbor or perhaps someone more transient renting an apartment nearby at the time. The perp would have to have a place to bring the child. I'm thinking it was someone local to be at that exact place, at that exact time. He may have been watching her and waiting for an opportunity. I still think it would be important to try to hypnotize the boys into a relaxed state to find out if they have memory of someone walking around them or to see if they remember a vehicle in the area. There's always hope that this beautiful child was taken as a companion or is being raised as their own. Keep searching. Was she in school, we now see perps watching children in the school yards. Was she in an afterschool program and someone became attached to her? Church as well. Anyplace that child went for any period of time should be checked and people re-interviewed. Did anyone see someone watching the family and taking a special interest in Crystal?

Did anyone see someone watching the family and taking a special interest in Crystal?

RSBM

That's one of the things I wondered about when I saw the street view of the house Crystal was staying at. If it's the one I think it is, there are long two story apartment buildings along each side of the yard.

Many, many of those apartment windows look out over the family's front and back yard, plus the house backs up to what looks like a big parking lot for a nearby church.

There's the opportunity there for a large number of people to watch Crystal, learn her habits, etc. because so many apartments surrounded her house and appear to have a clear view of her house and yard.

If she was taken by someone to keep as their own, it may have been someone that lived in the local area or was around her in church, school, or wherever - and that person probably would have moved away either shortly before, or shortly after her disappearance. And probably moved out of state, or pretty far.

I read through this thread and various links and I have a few thoughts.

1. I "ran away" when I was about 6. I took my stuffed animals and blankets to a clearing in the woods by a nearby school. I fully intended to sleep there, and eat grass to survive. I'm sure something prompted it (got in trouble? mad at my brothers?), but I can't remember now. So maybe Crystal really did run away- maybe she was trying to get to her mom (her mother mentioned in an article that she thought Crystal was trying to get to her)- and then something went wrong.

2. The bikes vs. the peaches- maybe the kids had ridden their bikes there, and jumped on their bikes to ride home, then noticed Crystal wasn't there. The stories could jive, if it happened that way.

3. The 3 areas where there were reported sightings are all within minutes of one another. In fact, I could see two people reporting a sighting in the same relative area (like a block or two) and calling it 2 different cities. Was she seen with someone at these times, or by herself? I'm thinking it's possible she got a ride, possibly hopped on a bus, or was transported there, and then she wandered around a bit. There is a park (Dennis the Menace park) right in the middle of those three sighting areas.

4. If I'm reading correctly, it seems like there has only been one brother quoted in any MSM. And I believe it was the youngest? What's with the other brothers?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back