Found Deceased CA - Davey Johnson, Moto Journalist, Disappears On Motorcycle Trip, CA Route 49, 5 June 2019

I don’t know him at all. But it would make sense to me that he expected the water to be cold because he had fought ice all night. Don’t forget, he’s not a stranger to this area. He lives an hour away.

The cell phone was NOT found in the selfie location. Which also seems like he had to have got in took selfie then took phone back to where the other belongings were found?

The the selfie was on Wednesday, the bike was found on Friday. Why are we not hearing from any witness saying, yea, I stopped there and saw the bike?

And why no mention of the possible sighting mentioned on Abby’s Facebook page? That was on Friday at 4:30. No statement from LE disproving the sighting or even mentioning it.

It does sound from the dog scent trail that he didn’t leave the water but as an outsider looking in and if it were my loved one I would want to know more.

What was the rest conversation and tone to the friend sent the selfie? Was he trying to make sure someone knew where he was and suicidal?

Do those bikes have a gps?

Sorry.. just questions I would have. I feel for all involved.

Snow melt and a fast current (not visible with the naked eye) can be deadly. I don't think he jumped in, he might have stepped in a foot or two on the edge, your feet can get so cold you go numb almost instantly, its COLD. A river is not always well pitched, where you wade in like at a beach, you can take a foot in seeing the rocks below (slippery) take another step thinking your just going to wet your face, arms, etc with your hands dipping in the water, but the current and the cold can sweep you literally off your feet. If you are then in the deeper spot of the river, you are going at a rapid pace and must keep your faculties and roll out of it to get to the edge to pull yourself out. If you hit rocks (with your head) its game over. I honestly think this was a terrible accident, a perfect storm so to speak, and they will find him a long ways downstream caught up along the river bank. I am so sorry for his family and friends. IMHO
Truth in all of this. Plus, as I've learned here from other cold water drownings, the first impulse is to gasp (Cold Shock Response) and therefore intake water and drown instantly, followed by cold temps rendering immobility (Cold Incapacitation). Last is hypothermia.
This river also seems to lead into the Pardee Reservoir, so possibly he could end up all the way down there.

I don’t know him at all. But it would make sense to me that he expected the water to be cold because he had fought ice all night. Don’t forget, he’s not a stranger to this area. He lives an hour away.

The cell phone was NOT found in the selfie location. Which also seems like he had to have got in took selfie then took phone back to where the other belongings were found?

The the selfie was on Wednesday, the bike was found on Friday. Why are we not hearing from any witness saying, yea, I stopped there and saw the bike?

And why no mention of the possible sighting mentioned on Abby’s Facebook page? That was on Friday at 4:30. No statement from LE disproving the sighting or even mentioning it.

It does sound from the dog scent trail that he didn’t leave the water but as an outsider looking in and if it were my loved one I would want to know more.

What was the rest conversation and tone to the friend sent the selfie? Was he trying to make sure someone knew where he was and suicidal?

Do those bikes have a gps?

Sorry.. just questions I would have. I feel for all involved.

GPS are not standard equipment on motorcycles. Usually those would be after market items. Some owners use mounts or tank bags with see through windows for their phones and use that for directions/GPS.

In the UK that bike does have a gps tracker providing route history. Free security trackers on all new Honda road bikes
Abby Bassett posted on Facebook (around 6/8, IIRC) that they had checked with Honda, and the bike was not fitted with a GPS :(.
Abby Bassett

Following, for Davey and his loved ones and many friends. I'm afraid this one will turn out as most of us probably fear, but hopefully he can be found soon for the sake of those who miss him terribly. He is a talented writer in his field!

Just checking back in, I was thinking also, if the snow melt is making the river run high and fast, are there eddy's. I love to ride the rapids, but my only fear honestly is an eddy. I hope they are searching all eddy's and poking down into them, we lost a man here several years back to an eddy, once they got you, there is really little chance of getting out, unless pulled out with alot of luck. I have heard of only one survival of a river rafter who went into an eddy. Also on the video from the media above I saw what I would think were about class one or two rapids, and also just what looks like a lazy river ( that can be very deceiving) I often jump into the river at Picnic Rock, but one poor tourist ended up miles away starting at picnic Rock here in Colorado, he was with his fiance one second and poof, gone the next. I wonder if he had any heart conditions, you can survive in the cold water for at least ten minutes if your heart is good, but if not...it can stop your heart like a clock. They will find him, that I am sure of, its just a matter of when and where. My thoughts are with his family and friends and those who loved him on this very gloomy Father's Day. IMHO

Monday June 17th, 2019 :: 03:28 p.m. PDT
Missing Person David Johnson Update 2”

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 search efforts for 43 year old automotive journalist David Gordon Johnson culminated into a large scale, multi-agency search operation which saturated the area between Electra Hydro Power Plant and Pardee Reservoir with over 100 searchers.

[SBM]

Search efforts concentrated on the Mokelumne River Canyon between the Electra Hydro Power Plant and Pardee Reservoir. Prior to Saturday’s search, the entirety of Pardee Reservoir was systematically searched using boats and specially trained dogs. A portion of Highway 49 in the search area was temporarily reduced to one lane during Saturday’s search to ensure the roadside and embankment were thoroughly searched.

[SBM]

Mr. Johnson’s motorcycle was located at Big Bar River Access on Friday, June 7th with the keys in the ignition. The motorcycle was determined to be in operable condition with no apparent mechanical issues. The search for Mr. Johnson was initiated following the discovery of the motorcycle and had continued daily with an assortment of resources.
Calaveras Sheriff’s Detectives believe that the last known contact from David Johnson was by way of a ‘selfie’ photograph which he sent to a friend on Wednesday, June 5th. The location of the photograph has been positively identified as being near a small creek which flows into the Mokelumne River. Clothing, including undergarments, and motorcycle riding gear was discovered between the location of the photograph and the river’s edge. Additionally, specially trained K9’s have indicated that David Johnson’s scent travelled from the location of the photograph towards the river’s edge. Undisturbed items of value including a wallet, electronics, and a camera, were located in the area. All items have been identified as belonging to David Johnson.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Missing Person David Johnson Update 2 from Calaveras County Sheriff's Office : Nixle

6 hrs ago
“It absolutely breaks my heart to be the bearer of this news.

The Calaveras County authorities called J***** this evening to notify her that they have recovered Davey's body. He was found in the river. She has asked me to share the news.

We are immeasurably appreciative of the efforts of the Calaveras County Search and Rescue Teams, the Calaveras County Sheriff’s department, and the numerous teams from all over the state, that have been involved in the effort to bring Davey home.

At this time we ask that the privacy of his family and his friends be respected. We will share more information as it becomes available.

Memorial details will be determined by the family and announced at a later date.”

F77346E0-3324-4DEF-8449-65EE5536BE40.jpeg

Abby Bassett

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member