GUILTY CA - David, 57, Toni, 55, & Ashley Menard, 16, slain, Northridge, 4 Aug 2006

all the delays will have no effect on the verdict imo, the trial will be all about not getting the DP, this case has stayed with me from the first day I read about it, I think why this is so is because he chased his sister and shot her as she tried to get away, whatever issues he had with his parents were nothing to do with his sister, but he still killed her,

Not that it's a big difference and I could be wrong but I thought he shot the dad, stabbed his mom and then stabbed his sister. I think the sister was the last victim when she tried to hide and call 911. It's been almost 4 years. I may need to read it again..

Not that it's a big difference and I could be wrong but I thought he shot the dad, stabbed his mom and then stabbed his sister. I think the sister was the last victim when she tried to hide and call 911. It's been almost 4 years. I may need to read it again..

my mistake, I meant to write stabbed her, she was making a 911 call as she ran from the home asking for help when Brandon chased her down and stabbed her to death,

and as for the poster who thinks he may get less than murder that imo is laughable, manslaughter does not cover this crime, he killed his father, his mother and his sister, he killed his sister to eliminate a witness to his murder of his parents, that is first degree murder,

he was planning on having more time to stage the crimes, but his sister threw his plans off by making the 911 call, he could not stage the crimes any further or leave calling 911 himself after he knew she had done so

if she had not called 911 he was probably going to attempt to stage it so it either looked like his dad did it and then committed suicide, or go with the version that his dad was killing his mother and he tried to stop it, he then had some kind of mental breakdown and killed his sister, or he was going with the SODDI defence

his sisters presence of mind amidst unimaginable horror and terror to call 911 means he will be convicted of murder, does not matter how long his lawyer delays the inevitable, and he will never walk another day of freedom in his life,

There has been nothing in the news (at least that I can find) to explain the delay in this case coming to trial. Every month, another postponement.
It has been over FOUR years since Menard was arrested and charged with the murder of his family. Four years!

All I can find out about this case are the terse entries on the Sheriff's Department web site. Month after month, the same. Here's the latest:

Menard, Brandon

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 10/26/2010 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

Court Name: NO. VALLEY SUPERIOR CT DEPT E
Court Address: 900 THIRD STREET Court City: SAN FERNANDOUPT

The latest news articles are a couple of years old.
This was a savage crime, and who knows how much longer this will go on before the state gets around to trying him. I haven't the faintest idea what could be causing such a delay.

He should just plead guilty so he can go to prison. He can't be enjoying County Jail. Crazy. 4 years.

This is an old piece but gives quite a few details that I do not recall hearing..

VARIED TALES OF SLAYINGS REVEALED POLICE SAY MENARD CHANGED HIS STORY.

Byline: RACHEL URANGA

Staff Writer

SAN FERNANDO

Brandon Menard sat in the police interrogation room face to face with detectives a few hours after his family was slaughtered inside their Northridge home.

First, he said he came home from a night of partying, smoked some cigarettes outside for an hour, then went inside and found his family dead, according to according to detectives who testified Tuesday in his preliminary hearing.

Later, he said he went inside, disrobed and read a book. A half-hour later, he heard screams and gunshots.

Finally, he said he walked in on his dad standing over his mother with a knife, struggled with him and stabbed him in the process.

More at link... http://www.thefreelibrary.com/VARIE...ICE+SAY+MENARD+CHANGED+HIS+STORY.-a0170001390

Thanks for that link, Benny08. I hadn't seen that before. He was all over the place in his statements to detectives. The article is dated Oct. 17, 2007, and describes the first day of testimony by the detectives at Menard's preliminary hearing. This took place about 14 months following the murders and his arrest later that same day. I can find nothing after that. I'm assuming he was bound over for trial, otherwise he'd be released.

The three-year delay since the prelim hearing is strange. I've never heard of such a long delay. He was arrested on August 4, 2006.

He has yet ANOTHER court date next week:

Menard, Brandon

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 11/30/2010 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

Court Name: NO. VALLEY SUPERIOR CT DEPT E
Court Address: 900 THIRD STREET Court City: SAN FERNANDOUPT

Thanks for that info as well, Joe.

I was thinking of maybe emailing someone to try and get any more info. Maybe the person that wrote the article from the link I provided in my last post. I dunno.. I'd like to at least know what the heck is with this long of a delay.

Also, from my last post.. it just trips me out picturing him jumping in the pool after he (probably) killed everyone.

geez, used to attend reseda high, competed in x-country against granada hills (Taft, etc). Back in the early 80's it was a luxury to attend these schools. I'm so sad.

Bless them all.

Mel

I have followed this case since the first report, there has been very little news on it after the initial flurry of stories, thanks Joe for your update on when he is next in court, the news agencies hardly ever report on it so it is hard to know what the status of the case is

by now even if it is a DP case it should have moved forward to trial,

Well my Brother looked/looks very guilty so if he went to trial right away he'd get convicted right away, no doubt. But basically his attorney kept claiming he needs more time.. and with that time he has found some things that do help my brother. Matter of fact he may end up getting Manslaughter 1 instead of 2nd degree murder.

Whom did he kill?

Sorry, I don't really want to disclose that. My brother doesn't want his name out there. I used to be a little more open about it though but like I said he's asked me not to.

Anyone have any updates on this by chance? This happened 1 city block from my house and I never could really find anymore info on it till I came across this site. Ashley Menard used to come over to play with my fiance's cousin at her house and they really took it hard when they got the news. I was trying to look up any additional court dates with the case number and name but i have no idea where to look anymore. Thanks for any info.

Welcome Phis! I am sure someone here will help you out.

geez, used to attend reseda high, competed in x-country against granada hills (Taft, etc). Back in the early 80's it was a luxury to attend these schools. I'm so sad.

Bless them all.

Mel
Hey, I'm an alumni of Granada, so I have a special interest in this case! Didn't you used to go to my Farrell's?:seeya:

Thanks for the welcome. I went to Kennedy and my fiancé went to Granada. Class of 04. You talking about the Farrells that was by Kennedy? I really couldn't believe all this when I found out, I actually knew a few people that were friends with Brandon, which I discovered after the incident.

Thanks for the welcome. I went to Kennedy and my fiancé went to Granada. Class of 04. You talking about the Farrells that was by Kennedy? I really couldn't believe all this when I found out, I actually knew a few people that were friends with Brandon, which I discovered after the incident.
No, the one that used to be on Reseda Blvd.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/aug/09/local/me-northridge9

an artcile from 2006 just after he was charged, we are now into the 5th year post the murders and nothing seems to be happeneing, there was supposed to have been a hearing in November 2010 but I can find nothing on the net referincing this hearing,

I wonder if there will be a trial in 2011, they need to get a wriggle on after all this time, I wonder if his defence is still my dad killed mu mom, I killed my dad trying to stop him, I had a mental breakdown and shot my sister,

Anyone have any updates on this by chance? This happened 1 city block from my house and I never could really find anymore info on it till I came across this site. Ashley Menard used to come over to play with my fiance's cousin at her house and they really took it hard when they got the news. I was trying to look up any additional court dates with the case number and name but i have no idea where to look anymore. Thanks for any info.

L.A. County Sheriff's Department Inmate Search:

http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm

Menard, Brandon

Next Court Code: M101 Next Court Date: 01/18/2011 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

Court Name: VAN NUYS MUNI CT DIV 101
Court Address: 14400 ERWIN STREET MALL Court City: VAN NUYSUPT

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/aug/09/local/me-northridge9

an artcile from 2006 just after he was charged, we are now into the 5th year post the murders and nothing seems to be happeneing, there was supposed to have been a hearing in November 2010 but I can find nothing on the net referincing this hearing,

I wonder if there will be a trial in 2011, they need to get a wriggle on after all this time, I wonder if his defence is still my dad killed mu mom, I killed my dad trying to stop him, I had a mental breakdown and shot my sister,

Actually, his sister was stabbed to death, outside by the pool, not shot. She was frantically calling 911 moments before being attacked. The father was the only victim who was shot.

There have been countless delays in this case, with no explanation in the media. There have been hearings scheduled almost every month, which have been continued to the following month. Four-and-a-half years now since his arrest, and no trial. The fact that the prosecution is seeking the death penalty may have something to do with the delay, but 4 1/2 years seems excessive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back