Found Alive CA - David Boutelle, 66, Berkeley, 4 Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Jan 21, 2020.

1. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

Family asks for help in locating 66-year-old man missing for more than 2 weeks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The family of David Boutelle – a 66-year-old man who walked out of his Durant Avenue apartment 16 days ago and has not been seen since – is asking for community help in finding him.

Boutelle and his brother Jimmy were preparing to leave their apartment at 2226-2230 Durant Ave. on Jan 4 when Jimmy ran back upstairs to fetch something, according to JM, the men’s nephew. Boutelle was seen sitting on a bench in the complex’s courtyard. When Jimmy returned, Boutelle had disappeared.
    • DB left behind his wallet, phone, and car and was wearing house slippers.
    • In recent months, DB, who is an apartment manager, had been experiencing signs of forgetfulness and dementia, said Minot.
    • He had stopped driving because he sometimes couldn’t remember where he was.
    • Jimmy has disabilities and didn't tell his family about DB’s disappearance for a week.
    • The family contacted the Berkeley Police Department and officers examined video of the area around the apartment complex.
    • Video shows Boutelle exiting the front gate but there was no sign of him after that.
    • The family is asking anyone with information to contact the Berkeley Police Department, Minot at 510-927-0552 or Irau Brooks at (510) 387-4544.
    Please help us locate an At-Risk Missing Person from Berkeley Police Department : Nixle

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020

2. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

HATE these types of cases!

Hope someone saw something, or video cameras picked him up.

JMVHO.

broadviewren, mrz and PommyMommy like this.
  3. PommyMommy

Flurries, crhedBngr and mrz like this.
  4. mrz

mrz Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking! There is still hope however. Just need him to run into the right person I think.

5. Seajay

Seajay Never pass up an opportunity to pee.

It’s already been 19 days. He may have had memory problems but he couldn’t have just totally lost his mind out there in the time his brother went upstairs and after almost 3 weeks still hasn’t regained it. He would know who he was, or who his brother is or where he lived or something in his time.

Since LE is involved, I take it that area hospitals have been checked. Where could he be where he could sleep and get a meal now and then? Perhaps the homeless camps need to be checked, so many of the homeless are mentally ill.

I worry he ran into evil somewhere. JMO

mrz, Luckyzmom, savagewoman and 3 others like this.
  6. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

I worry as well.

Luckyzmom and PommyMommy like this.
  7. BuySellTrade

BuySellTrade Well-Known Member

Weird. I lived at 2214 Durant from 1973 to 1975 while a Cal student. There was a Shell station on the corner of Durant and Fulton (heading toward Shattuck) then several older buildings of 3 stories and 6 flats (where I lived at 2214). There was one older building between where I lived and then a large much newer apartment complex which, in less torn down and replaced, is where this disappearance occurred.

While we lived there, there was a multiple murder in an apartment in that complex that was not discovered until the smell suggested something was wrong. Then cops all over and don't recall as ever solved. There was a bus stop in front of the complex where there was a drive by random murder by a gang of black on white that killed or assaulted a number of others that I can't recall enough about to find on internet.

Durant is 1 block from the Cal campus headed north and 2 1/2 blocks west of Telegraph Avenue which then had and I assume still has a major street scene and much crime. We quit that apartment in late Summer 1975 when we had been gone a month and came back to it occupied by street people off Telegraph that had broken in through a window off the fire escape and taken up residence.

I have not been to Berkeley since 2003 and realize much has changed. For one the old buildings near campus where we had cheap rent turned expensive and desirable as the area gentrified pricing out students.

PommyMommy, Luckyzmom and savagewoman like this.
  8. PommyMommy

Found safe! :)

JAN 24, 2020
    Berkeley man missing for 20 days was 'mystery' patient at Alta Bates hospital
    David Boutelle, a 66-year-old Berkeley man who has been missing since Jan. 4, was identified Friday as a mystery patient who has been in Alta Bates Summit Medical Center since Jan. 7.

[...]

Berkeley detectives had called Alta Bates during their investigation to see if Boutelle was there, but there was no patient by that name. Boutelle had told hospital officials he was called “David Robert,” which are his first and middle names.

[...]

The family is relieved to have found Boutelle, who inexplicably wandered away from his home Jan. 4. ...

[...]

The family is grateful to know Boutelle is safe and that he only spent three days and nights on the street, she said. They still don’t know what happened on those three days.

[...]

9. mrz

mrz Well-Known Member

HA! That is great!

PommyMommy likes this.