Identified! CA - Delano, Hisp/Ntv Fem 59UFCA, 30-34, 'Shirley, Seattle' tattoo, Jul'80 - Shirley Ann Soosay

As a rule of thumb:

About 3575 cM indicates a parent/child relationship, or a comparison of two samples from the same person. (Half-matches and full-matches are counted equally for purposes of tallying the cM count).

Full-Siblings will yield approximately 2750 cM. Grandparents/grandchildren, aunts/uncles/nieces/nephews, and half-siblings will yield about 1800-2000 cM.

First cousins will come in at about 900 cM

Second cousins will come up at about 250 cM. Third cousins will come up about 100cM.

The actual amounts can vary around these numbers, but these are typical readings.
Thank you for explaining, Carl! I am the worst at explaining how Centimorgans work.

I think Mildred Batoche is a good candidate, if she hasn't already been ruled out. I see a strong resemblance between her picture and the postmortem image. She's not listed by the RCMP, but does appear on the Doe Network (previous link).

With reference to the recent genetic genealogy findings, the surname Batoche is Métis. The Battle of Batoche (Saskatchewan, 1885) was last major confrontation of the North-West Rebellion, and had devastating consequences for the alliance of Métis, Cree, and Dakota peoples that resisted the federal government's incursion into Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Mildred Batoche was last seen in Alberta in 1967 at age 23, but still be in the right age range in 1980 as the UID. Batoche is also reported to have a scar on her left leg, though no information is given on its dimensions or nature.

She's also reported to have a tattoo, though not one that matches the UID's. But we know she's no stranger to ink, and I can personally attest to how faint tattoos (esp. less professional ones) can fade over time.

On that note, one thing that caught my eye was Batoche's reported disappearance location as a hotel. For other cases, this seems to have been RCMP shorthand for sex worker (and a brief google of the York Hotel confirms this suspicion). I've often thought about how well-preserved these tattoos are vs. the kind of wear and tear that can happen on forearms in agricultural work. I don't think harvests were a full-time gig, if a gig at all, for this UID.

After doing a little digging, I think this is the obit of Mildred's sister. If the information is correct, Mildred was one of twelve children, with nieces, nephews, and cousins numbering well past 50.

There's nothing I can find about a child, though she has an alias surname (Wanchisco) that might suggest she had partnered up at some point. This second name, however, might be completely fabricated or a typo, because I can't find anyone with that record. Alternatively, and I think this is the most likely case, it's a non-patrilineal name; Wanchisco seems to be an attempt to anglicize the Michif word wanikiskisô, which means "absent-minded."

As a final note, I invite the corrections and commentary of those more knowledgable of the history and language of the First Nations communities. My professional training only provided me a superficial glimpse into this field of history and I wish to tread with the utmost respect.

I'm a bit intrigued by the Alaska/Siberia bit of the pie chart.

Sorry, I am late. Alaska/Siberian in Gedmatch calcuculators also indicate Native ancestry, just for the indigenous people of the very North of the USA. Which would line up with her Canadian First Nations profile very nicely (they show primarily as Native with a small segment of Alaska). The databases are unable to differentiate different Native nations due to lack of reference data so they lump all indigenous people together as Amerindian, from North to Plains to Mesoamerica to Latin America... which is frustrating but that is where genealogy hops in and helps clarify things further.

I pray every day that this lady, who certainly did not have an easy life, can get her name back and officially be brought home to her family, ancestors and nation very soon.

I think that her name really was some version of Rebecca Ochoa. Maybe Rebekah. Something like that. I also think Shirley was probably the name of a girlfriend rather than daughter because as I said before, it doesn't read "mommy tattoo" to me.

Next rabbit hole - the women at the bar indicated that the woman they knew as Rebecca Ochoa had done time in the county jail.

Do we know it was Kern County jail and not another county? The bar was in Leemore, in Kings County. Maybe Tulare or San Luis Obispo counties?

Kern County Jane Doe is believed to have been taken from a bar in Lemoore. Now closed, in 1980 it was called Rubys.

I wonder, do they mean brazenly kidnapped or lured out while drunk? Either are equally terrible but an overt kidnapping is different.

IDENTIFIED as Shirley Ann Soosay, of Alberta Canada

Kern County Jane Doe 1980 - IDENTIFIED
Wow, that is amazing news. Great work as always, DDP.

I had suspected she may have been from Alberta after the further info was released last year. Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women is a huge issue up here in Canada. Maskwacis is less than an hour from me, so I wonder if the Canadian news outlets will pick the story up. It seems that she was from the Samson Cree Nation. I did send it around to a few news organizations last winter but it doesn't seem that anybody reported on it. Very glad that it reached the right person at the opportune time.

Last edited:
Amazing! I hope that Shirley’s family gets peace knowing that their missing relative has been identified.

And that her killer is serving time in prison due to this horrific crime.

Rest In Peace Shirley!

My sympathies to the loved ones of Shirley Ann Soosay ♡

KernCoJaneDoe_Doe-LivePhoto_Id.jpg

Great work, as always from the DNA Doe Project!
Kern Co Jane Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back