CA - District Attorney to retry Scott Peterson's Penalty Phase in Laci Peterson case, 2021 *Guilty*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Emi, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Now this article has a different date - but the above article ^^ is for San Mateo County, the article I'm posting is about his Stanislaus County case.

Convicted Killer Scott Peterson Appears in Court in Death Penalty Retrial

April 27, 2021
    Seventeen years after Scott Peterson was convicted of murdering his wife Laci Peterson and their unborn son, Conner, the condemned inmate made another appearance in court regarding his death penalty conviction.
    [.....]
    Last year, the California Supreme Court ordered a second look at the case after the original trial judge excluded jurors from the juror pool after they expressed they were personally opposed to the death penalty. The ruling upheld the conviction but struck the death penalty case, prompting a retrial of the penalty phase.

The judge Tuesday agreed with a motion allowing 60 days of discovery and ordered the sides to reconvene in court on June 21.
    [.....]
    The second part of Peterson's appearance Tuesday relates to a new trial hearing over juror misconduct. Peterson filed a separate challenge to his conviction, claiming juror No. 7 in the 2004 trial lied during pretrial questioning. When asked if she had ever been a victim of a crime, the juror did not disclose a restraining order she filed after being harassed by a boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, Peterson's lawyers said.

The judge for the second part granted the same discovery motion and follow-up court date.

Of course the article doesn't say what the court date is for the 2nd part of the hearing....

I can't look them up because I have no access to either Stanislaus or San Mateo County court sites... anymore...

For San Mateo:
    odyportal-ext.sanmateocourt.org

Case # is SC055500A

Stansilaus County:
    Case Index Lookup | stanislaus court

Case # is 1056770

If someone could help me figure which court dates are correct? Or they are both correct!

TIA! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Cortne, imstilla.grandma and byo like this.

2. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Peterson’s defense attorneys had asked for more time, arguing that the COVID-19 pandemic had impaired their ability to fully investigate the issue. The judge urged the defense team to complete their investigation and set another status hearing for June 21.

The court is expected to rule whether to grant a new trial for the murder conviction later this summer.
    ‘The Truth Is The Truth’: Amber Frey Willing To Testify If Scott Peterson Is Granted A New Trial, Attorney Says | Oxygen Official Site

byo, Cortne, Only4Justice and 2 others like this.
  3. Niner

tonight!!

Notorious wife killer Scott Peterson will "never be convicted of murder again," supporters say - CBS News

April 30, 2021

It was one of the most sensational crime stories of the last 20 years. The case attracted national and international media attention. There are parallels between Scott Peterson, the handsome, eerily unemotional husband whose wife goes missing and the Ben Affleck character in the blockbuster movie "Gone Girl."

Scott Peterson was sentenced to death for the murder of his pregnant wife Laci and their unborn child in 2005. But after appeals, his death sentence was overturned. His defense team told CBS News correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti they also have new exonerating evidence and are pushing for a completely new trial. Vigliotti reports on the case for "48 Hours" in "Scott Peterson: Case in Question" airing on Saturday, May 1 at 10/9c on CBS.

Steft50, byo, WildOrchid and 2 others like this.
  4. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

A shame if he he is retried and found not guilty. I believe he did it.

jash, byo, elliefant and 1 other person like this.
  5. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Moira Rose's Wigs

6. Quiet Time

Quiet Time Well-Known Member

jash, Apollo, katydid23 and 5 others like this.
  7. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

If I'm not mistaken, he is being retried for the sentencing phase only.

8. Niner

So far - the Judge in the other matter - juror misconduct hasn't been decided yet.

dgfred, Quiet Time, byo and 1 other person like this.
  9. seib_seib

seib_seib Active Member

Sorry I know someone just asked this but I am still confused - at these upcoming hearings, can his attorneys argue for a new criminal trial?

10. Quiet Time

11. Niner

They have appealed his criminal trial - the judge is still deciding IF he'll get one. We probably won't know until the 28th of June in San Mateo County. The Stanislaus County case will be heard on June 21 & that is where the death sentence was struck down.

Tabulator, Cortne, Steft50 and 2 others like this.
  12. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

I am trying to remember the beginning phases of this crime. Didn't his sister in law say she felt he did it when he went to the parents/brothers house and his behavior made her really think he did it? ( hell, I think she wrote a book or something) I'm now watching "48 hours" and she is saying he's innocent but I recall in the beginning she said he was guilty. Can anyone remember and refresh my memory on this?

13. Quiet Time

I think you're thinking of a diff sister, may be half sister. He went up there by the bay area to stay w/her and her husband and he was hitting on their babysitter?? He wasn't behaving like a mourning husband, in other words.

Something like that.....and darn it, I can't think of her name at the moment.

KALI, jash and Niner like this.
  14. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with the sis-in-law in her legal 'war room'. She had all these 'post its' with 'witnesses' names on them, claiming several people saw her the day, AFTER SP dad gone fishing.

So why didn't the defense team call on those witnesses. The prosecution said they weren't called because their stories were inconsistent with each others, and that is because there were 2 other similar women who walked golden retrievers, and one was pregnant also. So these sighting are not 100% credible.

But the story the defense is telling, about how Lacey and the baby ended up in the SF Bay, is so ridiculous. They claim the petty thieves kept the body after killing her that day---and much later, after it was reported that SP was fishing in the bay, they drove an hour and a half to dump the body there to frame him.

KALI, jash, Quiet Time and 3 others like this.
  15. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Was that the Forty Eight Hours episode? I thought they did a really poor job interviewing the sister-in-law.

They didn't ask her any questions about the day he was arrested with his dyed hair, his brother's ID, all the cash he had on him and several burner phones. Nor did they ask her anything about Amber Frye. I'd like to know what she has on her post-its about those things.

MrsWatson, jash, Quiet Time and 2 others like this.
  16. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

YES, it was the 48 Hrs episode. And NO, they didn't ask here any hard questions.

As to the ones you just asked, about WHY he dyed his hair, had 20 k in cash, and was almost to the Mexican border with his burner phones....:rolleyes:....I have seen FB 'answers ' for those questions on the
    Scott Is Innocent site....

They say his hair got sun bleached, he had that cash cuz he just sold his car, or some BS like that....and he has to have burner phones because the cops were after him and spying on him, etc etc...And some even said 'So What if he was running off to Mexico? He is being framed and needed to escape.'

One of the most damning things is that he told his girlfriend that 'this was the 1st Christmas since his wife had gone...' or something like that.

And during his missing wife's vigil, he is on the phone, telling Amber he is watching fireworks at the Eiffel Tower. He is such a cold hearted liar.

jash, Quiet Time, Niner and 2 others like this.
  17. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Here's a link to watch the episode if anyone is interested

Notorious wife killer Scott Peterson will "never be convicted of murder again," supporters say - CBS News

18. Quiet Time

And, what's so silly about saying the 'real killers' framed him by dumping her body in the bay....is that the cops, and divers, etc were all there at the time.

There's no way they could have done something like that without being scene.

imo

wary, MrsWatson, jash and 3 others like this.
  19. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

4 years ago

2 weeks ago

2 weeks ago

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Niner and elliefant like this.
  20. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

2 weeks ago

2 weeks ago

1 week ago