Case File 2404DFCA

DCScandalis.jpg

Doris Catherine Scandalis
Missing since November 7, 1960 from Carmichael, Sacramento County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: April 17, 1930
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 135 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown shoulder length hair; blue eyes.
    • Clothing: Purple sweater, a skirt, and a blue hooded coat.
    • AKA: Doris Catherine Peterson
    • Dentals: Not available
    • DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Doris was last seen on November 7, 1960 as she left her residence to go shopping at a local mall, then she was to go to a movie. She left the residence in her 1959, Mercury, CA plate SUR368, white. She was never seen or heard from again.

On November 10, 1960, the family vehicle was discovered parked outside a beauty salon known to Doris, at 3331 Balmoral Drive.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sacramento County Sheriffs Department
Contact Person:
Deputy Paige Kneeland
Phone: 916-874-1751
Email: sheriff@sacsheriff.com
Agency Case Number: RD-008492
NCIC Number: M156732755
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information
NamUs MP #6982

upload_2020-9-5_13-15-27.jpegAlex was shot down over Saigon flying for Air America. 1965.

He married Doris C. Peterson (1931- ) on 23 Nov 1950 in Yuba, California.

This is odd. There was a previous thread on this missing which seems to have disappeared (at least I cannot find it and I have looked several times previously). I know this because I recalled the story about the husband being a pilot for Air America which I included in a post on the original thread. This is particularly relevant because Air America was, of course, the in house CIA air operation used for anything needed to support their overseas stations. I remember commenting that it seemed likely that LE (and/or other agencies) would have looked very closely at the wife of a CIA employee disappearing.

So I am puzzled. What happened to the original thread? Was she located? And why does there seem so little information given the involvement of security agencies?

This is odd. There was a previous thread on this missing which seems to have disappeared (at least I cannot find it and I have looked several times previously). I know this because I recalled the story about the husband being a pilot for Air America which I included in a post on the original thread. This is particularly relevant because Air America was, of course, the in house CIA air operation used for anything needed to support their overseas stations. I remember commenting that it seemed likely that LE (and/or other agencies) would have looked very closely at the wife of a CIA employee disappearing.

So I am puzzled. What happened to the original thread? Was she located? And why does there seem so little information given the involvement of security agencies?

I'm not sure about what could have happened to the previous thread. I searched for her name everywhere on Websleuths and I even purposely misspelled it during the search to make sure there was not a thread for her before I created one. But of course I could have still missed it somehow.

I don't think she has been located. Her NamUs profile was last modified on August 12, 2020, which is less than a month ago. Not sure why there's so little info about the involvement of agencies. Maybe since it's such an old case the records/files got lost?

I'm not sure about what could have happened to the previous thread. I searched for her name everywhere on Websleuths and I even purposely misspelled it during the search to make sure there was not a thread for her before I created one. But of course I could have still missed it somehow.

I don't think she has been located. Her NamUs profile was last modified on August 12, 2020, which is less than a month ago. Not sure why there's so little info about the involvement of agencies. Maybe since it's such an old case the records/files got lost?

I am pretty sure you have not missed the old thread. I have also looked hard and found no trace. It is odd and agree that she is unlikely to have been located. I originally posted on the thread (it was not started by me) about 5 years ago and came back to look for it last year, but with no success.

In 2002 probate was filed in Sacramento for Doris (In Re Doris Catherine Peterson Scandalis) by Alexis Inamine. As there was an Alexis Scandalis born circa 1953 in Ancestry records (and in Sacramento) I assume this is her daughter.

upload_2020-9-6_9-1-43.jpeg

Three children in this article. I can find a Teresa Alexis born 1951 and Marcy born 1960. The other Alexis there has a different birth mother listed.
As a aside Alexander had a brother that was KIA 1944 ww2 Germany.

Last edited:
In 2002 probate was filed in Sacramento for Doris (In Re Doris Catherine Peterson Scandalis) by Alexis Inamine. As there was an Alexis Scandalis born circa 1953 in Ancestry records (and in Sacramento) I assume this is her daughter.
I guess Doris must have been declared legally dead at some point since this is a probate petition and it names Doris as the decedent. I'm assuming this is like when the home of a decedent has to go through "probate" before it can be put on the market to sell? I guess there were still assets in Doris's name that had to go through probate? That is how I understood it but I could have it wrong because I am not knowledgeable with this kind of legal stuff.

So:
Doris was going to the movies alone, which apparently was not usual. So there we have a change in behaviour.
Her car was found outside a beauty parlour, which was known to her. I would love to know if LE established whether she actually went in and had some beauty treatment, because, again, she hadn't told the husband she was going there.

OK, beauty parlour visit she didn't mention and movies alone. I don't think she was going to the movies alone; I have a feeling Doris may have had a date that day. Is it possible she was having an affair?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back