CA CA - Dorothy Scott, 32, Anaheim, 27 May 1980

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Gina_M, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Any luck finding the telephone recordings as I have missed them and would be interested to listen to them. If not no worries. Thanks:)

Luckyzmom likes this.

2. chatnoir84

chatnoir84 Amateur Sleuth

Just came back from my trip today . Will check online this week.

Luckyzmom and jaejae like this.
  3. chatnoir84

Still looking...maybe I got confused with another case, perhaps GSK

jaejae likes this.
  4. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Thanks no problem either way I would have just been interested to listen to compare them with the Golden State Killer ones. But if they are not there it is ok.

5. chatnoir84

Hey guys! The site below,

Mysterious Deaths - Friends And Felonies

Led me to this YouTube link, but I honestly don't think it's the actual recording. What do you think? The video states police had recordings of the caller :eek:.

Betty P and jaejae like this.
  6. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting I do not think it is the actual caller but I had not seen the video before.

Here is a recently posted page with some information about the case:

Dorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved CasebookDorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved Casebook

Here is a little more information about the callers voice:

LE DID WIRETAP THEIR PHONES. THEY HAVE RECORDINGS OF HIS VOICE. ITS DESCRIBED AS GRUFF AND PLAINLY DISGUISED. HOWEVER THE CALLER WOULD NEVER STAY ON THE PHONE LONG ENOUGH FOR THE CALLS TO BE TRACED. (PUSSY) THE CALLS FINALLY STOPPED IN APRIL 1984 WHEN HE CALLED AND JACOB ANSWERED THE PHONE. THE CALLER HUNG UP. (LIKE I SAID HE'S A PUSSY. *** PROB WET HIMSELF.)

The Mind Boggling Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott

Luckyzmom likes this.
  7. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems unlikely LE would release this kind of evidence from their cold case files, especially when they have little or no other evidence from the crime scene(s). I wonder if LE retrieved anything helpful from Dorothy's car?

The theory about the person (Mike Butler?) who was a cult member seems somewhat plausible, but would he have access to a car? Whomever stalked, kidnapped and killed Dorothy needed a car. They also had to do a lot of walking that night, from alley where they left her car back to where they parked in the hospital parking lot or somewhere nearby. Also, if they dumped her body along the freeway with the remains of a dead dog, how did that work? Did they bring along their own dead dog when they went to kidnap her? Did they just happen to come across a dog they could kill while in the process of kidnapping and killing her? Just an odd thing to try to fit in during a very busy night for the killer. Did he just dump her body that night, then come back later with the dead dog to bury with her? Next to a busy highway?

The theory about it being the GSK is interesting, though it doesn't fit his MO - attacking victims in their homes and leaving bodies there. The other personality characteristics of the killer seem very similar, especially exerting power and control over victims before and after the murder.

GSK/DeAngelo has made us understand more about LE who commit murders. What if this wasn't GSK, but was another rogue LEO? "Head shops", etc. were probably prime targets for LE to keep under surveillance in those days, looking for drug dealers and users. What if the killer was an undercover investigator for a law enforcement agency whose job was to spend a few months staking out the two shops where Dorothy worked? What if he became "obsessed" with her instead, deciding to stalk and eventually kill her.

It would fit with some of the characteristics of GSK, but with unique MO more compatible with someone working undercover. Same skill set, knowledge of how to make phone calls that can't be traced, disguising his voice, blending into the neighborhood, being close by but not standing out. Skills at listening to other people's conversations, maybe even had a "bug" planted in the stores, so would have heard employees discussing plans, meetings, etc. Ability to follow a victim, hide and abduct them without causing a big scene or attracting attention.

As part of his job surveilling the stores, he may have even posed as a customer on numerous occasions, making his voice familiar to Dorothy. The taunting of the victim would suggest he had become familiar with her, felt her inferior to him as she worked in a "head shop", etc. JMO, lots of hints for an LEO in this.

Wonder if there were any similar crimes, sexual assaults, etc. in the area? Any odd members of LE (local, county, state or federal) working undercover in drug stings back then?

Luckyzmom and jaejae like this.
  8. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Good post and interesting points and you may well be right. The Golden State Killer did call back victims as the East Area Rapist and taunt them years afterwards but then I would say that:)

Betty P and Luckyzmom like this.
  9. chatnoir84

Brea police may have still been in that jurisdiction and they have had at least one drug sting gone bad. Also, the body dumps in that area are near Featherly Regional Park, where one can camp out in their Rv. In the 80s to early 90s, this area was still growing, so night body dumps were possible.

Betty P and Luckyzmom like this.
  10. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm probably not the only one wondering what the area looked like back then. Re the park and campers, would someone be able to camp there for long periods of time? It sounds like Dorothy's killer was stalking her for quite a while before killing her. He would have also needed a car to drive around, unless he had a pickup camper or something similar.

chatnoir84 likes this.
  11. chatnoir84

Yes, there are people that lived there from time to time, but there are lots of hills and canyons in the area. In my opinion, I think it was the work of a serial killer that never was caught.