CA CA - Dr. John Deri, 63, Point Reyes, 3 June 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
JohnDeri_zps46e518db.jpg

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_26433129/no-clues-found-search-missing-inverness-physician

No clues have surfaced in a months-long search for a prominent Inverness physician whose BMW was found in a parking lot at the Point Reyes National Seashore, officials said.

Dr. John Deri, 63, a practicing psychiatrist for more than 20 years in Mill Valley, was reported missing June 3 to the Marin County Sheriff's Office by his wife, Lucy Salter Deri...

There is no evidence of foul play, no criminal investigation is involved and there was no suicide note, Dell'Osso said.

John's FB: https://www.facebook.com/JohnDeriMD

Did they know he went there or did they just find his car? His wife had no comment in the article above, and his brother mainly talked about his life. I would wonder if he had been there before, if he had been having any health problems or behavior changes.
It also seems like if somebody is washed away there, they don't resurface some place else. So sad.

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/article/after-three-months-psychiatrist-still-missing

When Ms. Deri left the morning of June 3, her husband had been in bed. She made plans to meet him at his office in Mill Valley around 3 p.m., but as the afternoon hours stretched into evening without word from her husband, she began to worry and returned home. She found his cell phone and the dog but no indication of where he had gone.

John’s car—a brand-new, black 2013 B.M.W.—was located the next day by park rangers at North Beach, “known to be a hazardous area,” said Lt. Doug Pittman, the sheriff’s public information officer. “We searched with the hope of finding him until we felt that it was prudent to go ahead and suspend the investigation,” he said. “We’ve tracked his financial records, but there hasn’t been any activity. It’s still a missing persons case, but we don’t have anything further we can follow up on at this point”...

An Iron Man athlete, he lived for nature and couldn’t resist West Marin’s open trails for hiking and biking. He also took an intense interest in Taoism and Tibetan Buddhism, traveling to see the Dalai Lama when he spoke, no matter if it was San Francisco or Bloomington, Indiana.

John is still listed in NamUs as missing.

If he planned to walk along the beach or take a swim, would he do that sort of thing spontaneously sometimes, without telling his wife? (Versus the possibility being out of character?)

Would he normally leave his phone at home or take it everywhere?

Longshot but perhaps to went on a boat to Honolulu?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
An interesting suggestion. It would be less than a week later when the UID was found. Hard to rule out based on the picture and stats (5'9 estimatd for UID vs 6' height reported for Deri isn't that big of a difference; wieght and age range match ok). Deri was however said to have a beard at the time he disappeared.

Looking at athlinks data, Deri had competed in several triathlons before, notably the "Escape from Alcatraz" more than once. I don't think his finish times would have qualified him for the Kona world championships, but I'm impressed by anyone who can complete the Alcatraz swim. It's possible he went to Hawaii to train, in some kind of fugue state perhaps. If the bicycle the UID was using when he was found was some kind of triathlon bike or high end road bike that would add some support for that scenario. However I couldn't find any triathlon data for Deri after about 2009 so it's not clear he was still competing in such things in 2014.

An interesting suggestion. It would be less than a week later when the UID was found. Hard to rule out based on the picture and stats (5'9 estimatd for UID vs 6' height reported for Deri isn't that big of a difference; wieght and age range match ok). Deri was however said to have a beard at the time he disappeared.

Looking at athlinks data, Deri had competed in several triathlons before, notably the "Escape from Alcatraz" more than once. I don't think his finish times would have qualified him for the Kona world championships, but I'm impressed by anyone who can complete the Alcatraz swim. It's possible he went to Hawaii to train, in some kind of fugue state perhaps. If the bicycle the UID was using when he was found was some kind of triathlon bike or high end road bike that would add some support for that scenario. However I couldn't find any triathlon data for Deri after about 2009 so it's not clear he was still competing in such things in 2014.
Do you think they resemble each other?

Do you think they resemble each other?
The chin looks similar and they're both substantially bald. There may be some swelling of the UID's face and I didn't see anything besides a thumbnail size pic of Deri at NamUs for comparison that may have been from a few years before he went missing. So I didn't see enough differences to say they couldn't be a match, but my gut tells me that it's probably not him. Maybe someone can find a better and/or the most recent pic of Deri from social media or elsewhere and offer a more thorough analysis.

• deri_john.jpg
  • deri_john2.jpg
Deri, circa 2014
  • Missing Since 06/03/2014
  • Missing From Inverness, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/07/1950 (72)
  • Age 63 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 165 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue jacket, blue jeans and gray sneakers.

• Associated Vehicle(s) Brand new black 2013 BMW (accounted for)

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, blue eyes. Deri had a mustache and full beard at the time of his disappearance.

Details of Disappearance​

Deri was last seen in Inverness, California on June 3, 2014. When his wife left home that morning, he was still in bed. They had plans to meet at his office in Mill Valley, California at 3:00 p.m., but he never showed up or contacted his wife. She went home and found his cellular phone and the dog, but no indication of his whereabouts.

The next day, Deri's brand new black 2013 BMW was found in the parking lot of North Beach at the Point Reyes National Seashore, in an area known to be hazardous. He has never been heard from again. Since his disappearance, there has been no activity on his financial records.

Deri was born in New York City, graduated from Columbia University Medical School, got psychiatric training at the University of California at San Francisco, and got a master's degree in psychology from the New School for Social Research. He was an Iron Man athlete, enjoyed hiking and biking, and was interested in Taoism and Tibetan Buddhism. He had been practicing psychiatry since 1987. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Marin County Sheriff's Department 415-473-7238

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 22, 2019; casefile added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back