CA CA - Dr Robert Stonebreaker, 53, Rancho Santa Fe, 16 Jan 2010

FOUR YEARS NOW.

This case has got to be solved.

wife still not cleared, not talking:scared:

This hasn't been commented on in a long time, but I find it interesting that Pam Stonebreaker doesn't have anything to do with Free Flight. She still owns the property the veterinary practice and sanctuary is on and is the current landlord but according to their website she's neither on the board or active at any of their fundraising events.

She started as his veterinary assistant in the 90's and was involved in their bird breeding business, so it's interesting she's not around now. He created such a wonderful place and dedicated his life to these precious animals, you would think his family would want to be part of his legacy.

This hasn't been commented on in a long time, but I find it interesting that Pam Stonebreaker doesn't have anything to do with Free Flight. She still owns the property the veterinary practice and sanctuary is on and is the current landlord but according to their website she's neither on the board or active at any of their fundraising events.

She started as his veterinary assistant in the 90's and was involved in their bird breeding business, so it's interesting she's not around now. He created such a wonderful place and dedicated his life to these precious animals, you would think his family would want to be part of his legacy.

Thanks for the update, darkpassenger.

I've also thought of Dr. Stonebreaker and Pam lately. I knew them back then in the 90's. The doctor was our bird vet and Pam was very involved in the bird breeding and general business at that time.

In the last few months, twice now, I've seen Free Flight Bird Sanctuary on the Places in San Diego tv show. My kids loved it there. Who would have thought I'd be left, years later, flooded with memories and haunted by the mysterious loss of the kind Dr. Stonebreaker. I'm sorry it all turned out the way it did with so many unanswered questions.

Robert Stonebreaker was my uncle (my mother's uncle). He was an incredibly kind man and his murder was shocking. I have recently started to try to find information regarding his murder and investigation and there is very few websites or information online. Does anyone have any new information regarding his death and investigation?

Robert Stonebreaker was my uncle (my mother's uncle). He was an incredibly kind man and his murder was shocking. I have recently started to try to find information regarding his murder and investigation and there is very few websites or information online. Does anyone have any new information regarding his death and investigation?
I worked for Dr. Stonebreaker. I could tell you quite a bit.

When speculating about this case, there are 3 important facts to keep in mind.

* Despite being unable to contact or locate Bob, Pam decided to leave town to attend a volleyball tournament in Norwalk the following morning.
* Pam refuses to speak to the police.
* In an affidavit, Pam stated that she first learned of Bob's death when the medical examiner called and told her he was dead. Standard protocol for informing next of kin about a death is to do it in person, whenever possible. Her statement, is a lie.

Thanks for the update, darkpassenger.

I've also thought of Dr. Stonebreaker and Pam lately. I knew them back then in the 90's. The doctor was our bird vet and Pam was very involved in the bird breeding and general business at that time.

In the last few months, twice now, I've seen Free Flight Bird Sanctuary on the Places in San Diego tv show. My kids loved it there. Who would have thought I'd be left, years later, flooded with memories and haunted by the mysterious loss of the kind Dr. Stonebreaker. I'm sorry it all turned out the way it did with so many unanswered questions.
I hate to "stir the pot" at this late date but, I can tell you the police show no interest in solving this murder. I worked for Bob for quite a few years and was interviewed by the police after his murder. There's a lot I could tell all of you but, I wouldn't be able to prove any of it.

Robert Stonebreaker was my uncle (my mother's uncle). He was an incredibly kind man and his murder was shocking. I have recently started to try to find information regarding his murder and investigation
Welcome. Dr. Stonebreaker was a kind and caring man. He's remembered fondly by many. It's been twelve years now. This case has been left stone cold it seems. I suggest you read this whole thread, keep notes, and keep digging, please, into what the investigation supposedly revealed.

I personally think LE dropped the ball on this one and want to know why. It was highly mysterious how Bob died and there never was any explanation what happened on that road before Bob went roaming into yards. He wasn't even found until the next morning.

I'll just add a few links from 2012 for any new comers that want to know about this case. These article describe the mysterious details that never were actually solved.

1652652419044.png
Dr. Robert Stonebreaker

Detectives seek clues in unsolved murder of North County veterinarian Video included

Standard protocol for informing next of kin about a death is to do it in person, whenever possible.
Welcome. With all due respect, I will further this conversation with some questions, and attempts to refresh my own memory, and some of my own opinions.

I live in San Diego county and am appalled at how frequent LE and authorities disregard "Standard Protocol". (For example, leaving Rebecca Zahau's body laying there naked for hours to the elements before the ME got there, while gawkers on balconies tried to get a look. Not to mention, the ridiculous, stubborn LE opinion that her death was a suicide despite all the evidence otherwise.) So much for what you think is "Standard Protocol" being followed correctly in all cases. MOO, it wasn't as far as I can tell, and was somewhat lax. We do seem to agree, LE didn't conduct a thorough enough investigation, or shown any interest to solve this case.

IMO, marriages aren't all the same. Partners sometimes don't come home or partners have affairs, or they stay together only for the children,... so there's no definite sign that Pam was involved just because she went to her kid's game when Bob didn't show up.

How Pam found out is not the odd fact of this case. It's all the details leading up to Bob roaming around on the road and into people's properties before he died that LE failed to investigate further. There was never any facts in the conclusion of their investigation as to what happened to Bob. Was there? It's been 12 yrs. now. I don't remember any actual factual conclusions, just insinuations at that time due to the insurance policies. Wonder what the insurance companies concluded. Can't remember, but I know it was a long, long wait.

I hate to "stir the pot" at this late date but, I can tell you the police show no interest in solving this murder. I worked for Bob for quite a few years and was interviewed by the police after his murder.
What did you tell the police when you were interviewed? I don't doubt that they show no interest in solving this murder because I've been saying that on this thread since the start. It's not fair to point fingers at Pam without LE supplying some facts from a thorough investigation. I know the insurance companies delayed paying out. Do you know if they ever released the insurance money to Bob's family? From what you've said, so far, you have some opinions of your own, and I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I hate to "stir the pot" at this late date but, I can tell you the police show no interest in solving this murder. I worked for Bob for quite a few years and was interviewed by the police after his murder. There's a lot I could tell all of you but, I wouldn't be able to prove any of it.
What’s Pam up to these days? Did she get an ins payout?

Dr. Stonebreaker was a nice man. Just for the record, I have no idea what happened to him, I have always just wanted answers in this case. Is that too much to ask of LE? It seems someone may have harmed him, but really it's been a big, confusing mystery with no firm conclusions or evidence to solve it.

This 2016 news article mentions Dr. Stonebreaker.

"...And in 2011, a prominent veterinarian, Robert Stonebreaker, was found dead in the driveway of a Paseo Delicias home some distance from his crashed Porsche Carrera. The case was termed a homicide based on an injury to the back of his head, not believed caused in the crash."

"The cases are still open."

These pics are from after the death of Dr. Stonebreaker, but this is the bird sanctuary that he and Pam started. It was truly a gift to the whole community.
Freeflight pic gallery

Welcome. With all due respect, I will further this conversation with some questions, and attempts to refresh my own memory, and some of my own opinions.

I live in San Diego county and am appalled at how frequent LE and authorities disregard "Standard Protocol". (For example, leaving Rebecca Zahau's body laying there naked for hours to the elements before the ME got there, while gawkers on balconies tried to get a look. Not to mention, the ridiculous, stubborn LE opinion that her death was a suicide despite all the evidence otherwise.) So much for what you think is "Standard Protocol" being followed correctly in all cases. MOO, it wasn't as far as I can tell, and was somewhat lax. We do seem to agree, LE didn't conduct a thorough enough investigation, or shown any interest to solve this case.

IMO, marriages aren't all the same. Partners sometimes don't come home or partners have affairs, or they stay together only for the children,... so there's no definite sign that Pam was involved just because she went to her kid's game when Bob didn't show up.

How Pam found out is not the odd fact of this case. It's all the details leading up to Bob roaming around on the road and into people's properties before he died that LE failed to investigate further. There was never any facts in the conclusion of their investigation as to what happened to Bob. Was there? It's been 12 yrs. now. I don't remember any actual factual conclusions, just insinuations at that time due to the insurance policies. Wonder what the insurance companies concluded. Can't remember, but I know it was a long, long wait.

What did you tell the police when you were interviewed? I don't doubt that they show no interest in solving this murder because I've been saying that on this thread since the start. It's not fair to point fingers at Pam without LE supplying some facts from a thorough investigation. I know the insurance companies delayed paying out. Do you know if they ever released the insurance money to Bob's family? From what you've said, so far, you have some opinions of your own, and I'd be interested to hear what you think.
I say the police showed no interest in the case based on what I was told by Kathy (Dave's wife) Stonebreaker. She told me that a former vet at the clinic, Carmine Bausone, wanted to talk to the police but, they turned him down. As it was, I personally had to call the police twice, before they would talk to me. They asked me the usual questions but, did ask one very revealing question. They asked if I noticed that his fingernails were short. That single question allowed me to connect dots from many years past. At the time, I was ignorant about the implications of such a question. It wasn't until being told by someone else and then doing some research of my own that it became clear. We're talking about poison. We know Bob was killed by a blow to the head but, it also appears that he may have been slowly poisoned before that happened.

snipped to reply...They asked if I noticed that his fingernails were short. That single question allowed me to connect dots from many years past. At the time, I was ignorant about the implications of such a question. It wasn't until being told by someone else and then doing some research of my own that it became clear. We're talking about poison....
Thank You for your reply. I do value your being here and sharing your thoughts. Short nails... interesting, and it'd be something to look into further; however, it would depend on a lot more than just short nails. IMO, marks on the nails and coloring of the nails might point to poison, but not just short nails. Gee, short nails could be anything from poison to maybe disease or health conditions

True, it is an odd question for LE to ask you.

I have vertical ridges on my nails caused from probably RA. During Covid using hand sanitizers my nails got very weak, and tore off shorter. A doctor would probably have shorter nails, in general, and they use chemicals in their practice. It's true arsenic poisoning shows up in the nails. All I'm saying is it'd have to be more than short nails.

If LE suspected poison they must've ran toxicology tests for it. LE would've search the home and business for poisonous substances. They need evidence and something definite to call this a homicide. Further back in this thread are some other theories and so it seems LE guessed that maybe Pam should be looked at with not much evidence or to back up their guess. All MOO, please know I'm just not convinced without real evidence or even circumstantial evidence.

Nobody came forward and said Dr. was acting strange or sickly, but the day of the accident it does sound like he was driving erratically. They still haven't solved this case, so

Thank You for your reply. I do value your being here and sharing your thoughts. Short nails... interesting, and it'd be something to look into further; however, it would depend on a lot more than just short nails. IMO, marks on the nails and coloring of the nails might point to poison, but not just short nails. Gee, short nails could be anything from poison to maybe disease or health conditions

True, it is an odd question for LE to ask you.

I have vertical ridges on my nails caused from probably RA. During Covid using hand sanitizers my nails got very weak, and tore off shorter. A doctor would probably have shorter nails, in general, and they use chemicals in their practice. It's true arsenic poisoning shows up in the nails. All I'm saying is it'd have to be more than short nails.

If LE suspected poison they must've ran toxicology tests for it. LE would've search the home and business for poisonous substances. They need evidence and something definite to call this a homicide. Further back in this thread are some other theories and so it seems LE guessed that maybe Pam should be looked at with not much evidence or to back up their guess. All MOO, please know I'm just not convinced without real evidence or even circumstantial evidence.

Nobody came forward and said Dr. was acting strange or sickly, but the day of the accident it does sound like he was driving erratically. They still haven't solved this case, so
About a week before he was murdered, Bob came running over to me acting very frantic. He went on about how the clinic was in financial straits. I came away with the impression that the practice might close at any time. He then just slowly walked away. Speculating that Bob might have done something illegal to raise some fast cash I considered a drug deal (anesthesia/pain killers) gone bad. I told the police that if he ordered extra amounts of those substances, it raises a red flag with the authorities. I also explained that he could tell the authorities he had more patients than usual during that particular time period to get away with it. During their whole interview with me, that was the only piece of information that was written down. Clearly, they were trying to figure out how somebody was able to get a hold of a large amount of some substance. Incidentally, some chemo drugs contain arsenic trioxide. In retrospect, I now believe Bob was experiencing an "episode" from whatever was in his system.

Did you notice any white lines that might indicate arsenic poisoning?

From one of the sites about nail abnormalities:
Poisons:
Arsenic poisoning may cause white lines and horizontal ridges.
Silver intake can cause a blue nail.

From this site: The Hand Examination

1652670871703.png

You might want to become a Verified Insider.

snipped to reply ...We're talking about poison. We know Bob was killed by a blow to the head but, it also appears that he may have been slowly poisoned before that happened.

snipped to reply ...Speculating that Bob might have done something illegal to raise some fast cash I considered a drug deal (anesthesia/pain killers) gone bad. I told the police that if he ordered extra amounts of those substances, it raises a red flag with the authorities. I also explained that he could tell the authorities he had more patients than usual during that particular time period to get away with it. During their whole interview with me, that was the only piece of information that was written down...
Which is it? Was he poisoned, or was he trying to save the business by drug deals? That's two different theories and speculations. I thought normally the office person orders the drugs and supplies, not the dr. (I followed a case where the office person poisoned the chiropractor and it was proven the office person ordered the drug.)

Which is it? Was he poisoned, or was he trying to save the business by drug deals? That's two different theories and speculations. I thought normally the office person orders the drugs and supplies, not the dr. (I followed a case where the office person poisoned the chiropractor and it was proven the office person ordered the drug.)
I don't feel like typing an entire short story so, I'll just state my theory on what happened and be done with it. Bob had 2 brothers that died from heart attacks in their forties. Knowing that no one would question if Bob died an early death, Pam began poisoning him years prior. Most employees knew they had a rocky marriage and Bob probably wanted a divorce. Trying to keep him around, Pam intentionally went off her birth control and got pregnant with Ryan. Bob was not happy about that but, probably pressed forward with the divorce. Pam knew her murder plan had to be kicked into high gear and hatched the plan that led to him being bludgeoned. She didn't kill him, herself. She has a perfect alibi which is, she took her daughter over to a friend's house for a sleepover. It's a possibility she put something in his drink and knocked him out. When she was gone, her accomplice(s) showed up, loaded him into the car and drove him to the house in Rancho Santa Fe. They killed him, drove the car off the side of the road and took off. Having worked for them for over 10 years, I knew them very well. I can tell you that Bob didn't decide to go for a joy ride on a drizzly Saturday evening. His work week was over and he was more than likely parked in front of the TV with a drink in his hand.

I don't feel like typing an entire short story so,...
Thank You for all you've shared. (You really should become a Verified Insider, but if not, you should know, that on WS, we always throw in a MOO, and say it's just a theory or our own speculation, as it's not fact. That way a Mod won't have to delete your post.) Anyways, I'm sure you told the police all your thoughts on the matter and what you thought needed investigating. It is really sad if this was a premeditated murder plan and now it remains unsolved with no arrests
or any Justice for Dr. Robert Stonebreaker.

I admit, I'm a bit horrified to imagine it like how you think it went down. All I know are the facts as reported about the car accident, him wandering into a yard, not anyone noticing, his car being found before he was found the next morning... is all that correct? Didn't someone report him driving erratically just beforehand? Still, it's all a jumbled mess that doesn't seem to make sense, nor been verified as firm facts. I mean at one point, they considered it could've been a weird suicide. Well, even if you told LE and they tried to check it out, they have to have evidence to consider bringing this to court. It's been twelve yrs. and it tears me up to think someone may have gotten away with murder.
Hope you become a VI and keep posting here. This case needs warming up and to not be a cold case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back