CA - Dr. Ronald Gilbert, 52, murdered at his Newport Beach office, 28 Jan 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Reader, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/29/us-shooting-idUSBRE90S05S20130129

(Reuters) - A man died of multiple gunshot wounds on Monday after a shooting at a medical facility in Newport Beach, California, police said.........

Officers found the suspect in the shooting standing over the victim, who was pronounced dead at the scene, Lowe said.............

The victim was a doctor, Newport Beach Police Department Deputy Chief David McGill told the Los Angeles Times.

Little more at link.....

2. Loading...

3. Reader

Reader New Member

Doctor fatally shot in exam room of Newport Beach medical office

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/doctor-killed-newport-beach-medical-office.html

...........Multiple people have identified the victim as a doctor at Orange Coast Urology, but police have not released the victim's name. ..........

Workers in the building said the shooting occurred in the doctor's exam room.

Newport Beach Police Department Deputy Chief David McGill confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that the slain man was a doctor but had no other details about him or the alleged gunman, who was taken into custody without incident at the scene, on the second floor of an office building at 520 Superior Ave.............

Shortly after the shooting, police led a handcuffed older man wearing a baseball cap out of the building.

Authorities received a call about 2:45 p.m. that six or seven shots had been fired, according to police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe...........

"We won't know a motive until our detectives have a chance to interview the suspect later tonight," Lowe said.

More at link.......

4. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Active Member

Doctor behind new premature ejaculation treatment shot dead by patient in his office

'A doctor has been gunned down inside an examination room at his Southern California medical office where the suspected shooter surrendered to cops.'

'Police received reports at about 2:45pm of six or seven shots fired at the medical office near Hoag Hospital in Orange County, Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe said.
    Officers responding to a call of possible gunshots found a man dead from multiple bullet wounds to the upper torso in a patient examination room on the building's second floor, Lowe said.'

'The Daily Pilot identified the slain doctor as Ronald Gilbert, a respected urologist who specializes in sexual dysfunction, vasectomies and bladder and prostate cancer.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-room-California-office.html#ixzz2JMakS8nb

5. bourne

bourne "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBEC

I wonder what the motive for the doctor's murder was?

6. michmi

michmi New Member

The doctor evidently was a urologist and the shooter had some kind of prostate problem?

My first guess would be he had a procedure that had a bad outcome (possibly even not being able to perform sexually) and blamed the doctor for it.

7. JoeFromLB

JoeFromLB Active Member

8. michmi

michmi New Member

9. Blondie in Spokane

10. montana_16

montana_16 Active Member

So doctors can't even be safe from gun violence in their own exam rooms now.

11. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Active Member

Well... This condition isn't going to help him much in the place where he will now be staying...:jail:

ETA... I thought that incontinence was an announced possible side effect of prostate surgery? :waitasec:

12. Jan

Jan New Member

This case is so sad all the way around. I can feel for the guy who had surgery and had the problem of incontenance afterwards. It must have been very annoying and frustrating and I can see him being upset with the doctor. But he should have bought some Depends and checked to see if there was some chance the problem could be helped or corrected, or if more time might make things better. You can't just shoot the doctor when things don't go right. I've been treated by some doctors who took my money and made my health problems worse, and I was frustrated and angry too, especially with the doctors who were smart alecs. But I found a different doctor. The thought would never go through my mind of doing anything bad to the doctor. Also, by 75 years old or even younger, many men have trouble with incontenance even without having prostate surgery. That's what Depends are for. Its for sad for the doctor's family and his loved ones and the patients who depended on him for care. And what a waste of all the education that he had. Usually in the exam room, people have undressed and put on a hospital gown, so where did the man hide the gun?

13. michmi

michmi New Member

I'm sure that ws clearly disclosed to him verbally and in written form and he chose to ignore it as most people do. Nobody believes the bad outcome will be them. Death is a possible complication of prostate surgery too.

You have a choice to have surgery or not, or even to go get another opinion or see someone who does a different approach.

His incontinence could probably have been dealt with but now he'll be in the prison system, where they can just issue him diapers.

14. txsvicki

txsvicki New Member

I couldn't find how long it had been since the surgery. He'll wear depends in prison and probably even regain bladder control.

15. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

Don't know what he has to smirk about. He is a murderer who can't get it up and pees himself. He is going to have it very tough in prison.

(Before the murder I might have been compassionate about his issues. But since he chose to murder I no longer feel I have to be so sensitive.)

16. Blondie in Spokane

Ronald Gilbert Murder: Stanwood Elkus, suspect in Calif. urologist's shooting, had an appointment with victim, prosecutor says

Superior Court Judge Craig Robinson postponed Elkus' arraignment until March 5 after he told the judge he couldn't afford an attorney. Robinson said Elkus would be assigned a public defender in the interim. Elkus was held without bail.

Elkus appeared at the office of the Orange Coast Urology Group on Friday seeking an appointment, though it was not clear with which of the three doctors, said deputy district attorney Matt Murphy, who is prosecuting the case.

Authorities said he then gave the gun to another staff member at the medical office and was arrested quietly.

Investigators found no evidence that Gilbert ever treated Elkus prior to the appointment, Murphy said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...d-an-appointment-with-victim-prosecutor-says/

17. Reader

Reader New Member

BBM- What? So was he treated at all at this doctors' office? Was he just wanting to kill any doctor who worked there, or just any doctor at all?

18. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Moderator

Slain doctor remembered for his love of Judaism ( link )

[​IMG]
    Gilbert, said Rabbi Berkowitz, was born to a Conservative family who lit candles on Shabbat and celebrated the holidays. He had a love of learning that led him later in life to appreciate the values and traditions he grew up with. Gilbert started becoming more serious about Judaism approximately 15 years ago, and he and Berkowitz would study Torah together in Gilbert’s office. Gilbert had a knack for retaining what he read and for learning Hebrew grammar, Berkowitz explained.

Gilbert valued the moral lessons of the Torah even more than ritual observances, Gilbert’s son, Stephan Gilbert, said at the funeral.

Visiting Los Angeles from New York, where he attends Yeshiva University, Gilbert’s son, Stephan, told of how, after studying for one year at a yeshiva in Israel he could not decide whether he wanted to spend a second year there. He asked his parents for advice. Gilbert wanted his son to return to Israel, but he let his son decide on his own, Stephan remembered.

Gilbert also loved music, sports and fine food, but he was remembered for loving his children more than anything. He traveled all over the world, stayed in some of the grandest hotels and ate in top-class restaurants, but the joy he got from being a father surpassed everything else, Stephan said.

[...]

The Gilbert family has suggested that those interested in honoring the doctor’s name donate to an organization of their choice or to Gilbert’s place of worship, Chabad of West Orange County.

19. OkieGranny

OkieGranny <b><span style="color:#660033;">WS Forum Coordinat Forum Coordinators

September 2017:

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-elkus-sentencing-20170915-story.html