CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi dub. Many in law enforcement share your opinion. The descriptions I read are what lead me to believe they might be two different people. VR being described as having a large oddly proportioned frame, almost stocky, stubby limbs and a very young face, EAR being described as leaner and more muscular. Who's to say? There are definitely similarities in the MO. Have you picked up Michelle's book? Composites attached are the two most common of both offenders. The more cartoonish one being the VR.

440px-Original_Night_Stalker-East_Area_Rapist.jpg 440px-Visalia_Ransacker.jpg

Hi dub. Many in law enforcement share your opinion. The descriptions I read are what lead me to believe they might be two different people. VR being described as having a large oddly proportioned frame, almost stocky, stubby limbs and a very young face, EAR being described as leaner and more muscular. Who's to say? There are definitely similarities in the MO. Have you picked up Michelle's book? Composites attached are the two most common of both offenders. The more cartoonish one being the VR.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Those composites look to me like they could very easily be the same guy with a 30lb or so weight difference, although there may be more in the actual descriptions that separate EAR and the Ransacker that I'm not aware of. I'm very familiar with the existing descriptions of the EAR, but the Ransacker not so much.

I have no idea wtf is the deal with the Ransacker composite's shirt, it is REALLY outlandish haha but more importantly it definitely does not line up with the EAR's typical prowling clothing.

[ETA: Now that I see the zipper I can see that it might be a camouflage jacket or something, which if that's the case would be more consistent with EAR's clothing. When I first looked at the shirt I envisioned it being really loud and colorful like something you'd wear in the 70s under under a leisure suit]

Also no I have not read the book, I wasn't aware that it had come out yet. Thanks for the heads up.

You just blew my mind with the camouflage jacket observation. I also thought it was just a loud shirt particular to the era. Agree, it does make sense and goes along with the EAR wardrobe observations. Both offenders exhibited such bizarre (and common) behavior. Particularly the stealing of small items/trinkets from victims homes. We could very well be dealing with the same offender.

Finished McNamara's book this AM. Shocked to learn ancestry/DNA services won't assist in investigations where offender DNA is available. Apparently it's against their policy. I can't help but wonder what these services could do with the EAR/ONS DNA and Zodiac DNA. - - - AD74

Sad to see those 2 pictures of Michelle MCNamara sitting in bed typing knowing how she over-dosed in that same spot :(

Agreed. Was sad reading her voice knowing what happened. It was equally jarring when "Editors Note" appeared. What did you think of the book? I am sure LE has contacted the companies that did all of those housing developments in the 1970's and inquired about employees - staff and freelance. I wonder if anyone popped out. Clearly not enough to warrant an arrest. - AD74

Agreed. Was sad reading her voice knowing what happened. It was equally jarring when "Editors Note" appeared. What did you think of the book? I am sure LE has contacted the companies that did all of those housing developments in the 1970's and inquired about employees - staff and freelance. I wonder if anyone popped out. Clearly not enough to warrant an arrest. - AD74

I'm not done with the book yet. I read a little every night. I'm taking my time, but so far it's good. I loved Michelle's writing in "True Crime Diaries". I was really shocked when she died and I was looking forward to her book before that.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/letter-to-the-golden-state-killer
[h=1]Letter to the Golden State Killer[/h]By Michelle McNamara
This piece is excerpted from “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer,” which will be published on February 27th by HarperCollins. The Golden State Killer is the name McNamara gave to an unidentified man who raped more than fifty women and likely killed ten or more people in California in the nineteen-seventies and eighties. Several years ago, McNamara began investigating the case and blogging about it on her Web site. She died in April, 2016, at the age of forty-six.You were your approach. The thump against the fence. A temperature dip from a jimmied-open patio door. The odor of aftershave permeating a bedroom at 3 A.M. A blade at the base of the neck. “Don’t move, or I’ll kill you.” Their hardwired threat-detection systems flickered meekly through the sledgehammer of sleep. No one had time to sit up. Awakening meant understanding that they were under siege. Phone lines had been cut. Bullets emptied from guns. Ligatures prepared and laid out. You forced action from the periphery, a blur of mask and strange, gulping breaths. Your familiarity freaked them. Your hands flew to hard-to-find light switches. You knew names. Number of kids. Hangouts. Your preplanning gave you a crucial advantage, because, when your victims awoke to the blinding flashlight and clenched-teeth threats, you were always a stranger to them, but they never were to you.

Hearts drummed. Mouths dried. Your physicality remained unfathomable. You were a hard-soled shoe felt fleetingly. A penis slathered in baby lotion thrust into a pair of bound hands. “Do it good.” No one saw your face. No one felt your full body weight. Blindfolded, the victims relied on smell and hearing. Floral talcum powder. Hint of cinnamon. Chimes on a curtain rod. Zipper opening on a duffel bag. Coins falling to the floor. A whimper, a sob. “Oh, Mom.” A glimpse of royal-blue brushed-leather tennis shoes.

The barking of dogs fading away in a westerly direction.
You were what you left behind: a four-inch vertical cut in the window screen at the ranch house on Montclair, in San Ramon. A green-handled hatchet on the hedges. A piece of cord hanging in a birch tree. Foam on an empty Schlitz Malt Liquor bottle in the back yard. Smears of unidentifiable blue paint. Frame 4 of Contra Costa County Sheriff Department’s Photo Roll 3, of the spot where they believe you came over the fence. A girl’s purpled right hand, which was numb for hours. The outline of a crowbar in dust.

Eight crushed skulls.

You were a voyeur. A patient recorder of habits and routines. The first night a husband working dispatch switched to the graveyard shift, you pounced. There were four-to-seven-day-old herringbone shoe impressions beneath the bathroom window at the scene on the 3800 block of Thornwood, Sacramento. Officers noted that, standing there, you could stare into the victim’s bedroom.

I'm wondering if they can use his DNA to do a digital facial reconstruction? They must have endless samples to use for this. Just a thought.

I'm wondering if they can use his DNA to do a digital facial reconstruction? They must have endless samples to use for this. Just a thought.
I'm wondering why they haven't!
It must be due to his age?
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think McNamara is a really good writer who knows how to set a scene . An excerpt:

What is the lasting damage when you believe the warm spot you were just sleeping in will be your grave? Time sands the edges of the
injuries, but they never lose their hold. A nameless syndrome circulates permanently through the body, sometimes long dormant, other times radiating powerful waves of pain and fear. A hand gripped her neck. A blunt-tipped weapon dug into the side of her throat. At least a dozen investigators in Northern California could have correctly predicted the first words whispered in the dark.
“Don’t move.”

McNamara, Michelle. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer (p. 224). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

However, it's incomplete, and not the comprehensive bible I was hoping for. For being so obsessed a lot was left out, yet 25 pages were about her growing up in Illinois.

I was particularly interested in learning more about the San Jose rapes, but no one seems to think they're important. Maybe not, but at least let others decide for themselves. Still I couldn't put the book down, until -

After San Ramon, the EAR hit twice in San Jose, forty miles south. Holes and I decide to skip San Jose to save time. “I want to show you Davis,” he says. “I think Davis is important.”

I literally screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

The 4-part series was excellent, they need Paul Holes to make this a series. 4 hours wasn't long enough, imo.

DVR'ed the 4 part. Will be watching soon. I agree the book did feel lighter than what was anticipated but I delivered none the less in my opinion. The final pages of her "letter" were amazing. - AD74

I am still hung up on the 5 million DNA profiles between ancestry.com and 23andMe.com. The answer has to be there. I'd envision EAR's profile hitting someone young - a great niece or nephew - somewhere else in the country. From there, work backwards - "Did you have any relatives in the Sacramento area in the 1970's?". I understand and acknowledge the handful of issues and ramifications here but I can't get it out of my head. - - - AD74

I saw the special last night about this case. It must have been one of the parts.

It was well done however I disagreed with the detective that said the sketches he was not thinking they were that important and he focused on the one with the full mask. WTH?

I thought the sketches were all pretty similar and I think they can be helpful. I also found it kind of funny that the detective himself looked like the sketch. LOL

With all the hints about where he lived I am really surprised nobody was able to arrest this person. If I was LE I would go back through the tips that the public gave them at the time because I really think someone must have gave them the correct name of this person and for some reason they decided he was not the person but I think he probably was the right person. Maybe LE relied too much on an alibi that was a lie.

I am thinking an alibi checked out and so they outruled a person but really the alibi may have been a lie. Some tip at the time had to have IDd this person I think.

It was sad at the end to hear from real victims and real victim family members. They are still in pain over this animal.

I think this can be and will be solved. Truly. The real estate/residential construction angle seems to be the best. AD74

The show turned out great, as good as, or better than I had hoped for. Being there and shooting the scenes, you don't get a feel for how the finished product will look. My favorite lead is the home development angle especially with the Goleta one I discussed on the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305