CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not having trouble logging in, Red Cross Jan.

That is interesting information about "Carlos". I would like to find that book you mentioned.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I've been keeping up with the case for the past couple years, just finished reading Michelle's book the other night, and now I'm listening to the audiobook.

Here are a couple ideas I can't shake:

He was a young guy that dressed wealthy, so he was likely living on his parent's dime. I don't think an independent person paying for their own clothes, etc would wear designer labels only to destroy them and have to rebuy. I think it's strange he wore labels at all, when you'd think he'd want to be as anonymous as possible. This makes me think he didn't have a choice--the clothes were bought for him.

The possibilities of him being in construction, or a realtor or student, were thrown around. I agree that a lot of Boston's qualities fit a similar profile. To this end, I wonder what he had access to as far as research materials. It doesn't seem like a kid would have been a realtor, but could have grown up around someone who was. He would probably know how to research using what was immediately available to him, be it at home or school, without raising suspicion.

I wonder: there's been talk about going through local high school yearbooks, but has anyone looked into the University of California's? They probably have a different yearbook for each school (ex: Humanities) for each college. It would be worth checking other Cal institutions, too.

Got a new phone and now it made me make a new account. I am still AwareClare82!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Det. Shelby in his book talked about "Carlos", the ex-husband of a woman who came forward with information he found compelling. He had worked as a meter-reader for the utility company, had owned or had access to all the vehicles associated with GSK, and could mimic voices easily, probably because he normally spoke with a high-pitched voice, according to police who heard him on tape. What's more, he was in all the right places at every point, including Visalia. I was hoping this would be addressed or shot down in the recent coverage.
From Shelby's book:

"In 1979, Carlos invested in a new 37.5 ft. boat which was classified as a “ship”. Trailering it to Southern California, they stopped at just about every port they came across. His wife put them in Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties at the same time the ONS was active. Today, Carlos lives on that boat."

Btw, does anyone else have to keep logging in? I'm a slow typist, but not that slow! lol

Wow I have to read Shelby’s book! I heard EAR was on their roof looking at his young son through the window. How scary!!

I only recently became aware of this case, say within the last year. Some of the details I find interesting, and they can be put together to try to profile this guy with regards to occupation(s) and other factors.

Footwear has been mentioned, both in written accounts and in documentaries. High tops like Converse/Cons, if I remember correctly, and in early cases it's been mentioned he wore these:

https://www.hessenantique.com/Vietnam_Style_GI_Jungle_Boots_p/rc5080.htm

I wore these in the Marine Corps in the 90's. They were standard issue for the Coast Guard, Marines, Army, Navy, and Air Force, from the 60's and up until the early 2000's. As anyone will tell you about hard soled military boots, there is a break-in period for them, you have to wear them often, and walk some decent distances, in order to break them in. So if indeed EAR/ONS wore them, then the question has to be asked where he got them. Surplus? On McClellan AFB? ???

McClellan appears to have been a busy base during most of the Cold War, both for the Air Force and the Coast Guard. Some of the work on the base would have required a lot of civilian contractors, for aircraft maintenance, repair, and refurbishment purposes.

Just thinking out loud, here. If early on he used Cons and jungle boots as footwear, that fact alone shows planning as both would have been common in the 70's.

I remember those boots. I was issued the regular steel toe all leather boots, but I bought a pair of the jungle boots because they were more comfortable in hot climates. They were also lighter than the regular issue steel toe boots.

McClellan was busy because one of the tenant commands was an Air Logistics Command depot - a depot level repair for certain USAF aircraft. Every so many years an aircraft has to have a major overhaul. They tear the aircraft down to the bare airframe, removing engines, wiring, hydraulics and all components. This requires a lot of space and personnel.

It looks like HLN is running 'Unmasking a Killer' this Sunday at 9pm, there is no description on 'Dish', and the same title runs again at 12M, but it's probably a repeat. It's a 5-part series....

I just finished Michelle's book. Alittle dissapointed she wasn't able to write more. She had only gotten 1/4 of the way through the files. I do hope that someone can go through all the files in the future because the guys that finished her book did not do it. In re-looking at the mad letter pictures I noticed he made a G instead of a 6, he did this everytime he wrote a 6, three times. I would say that was unusual and should be publicized. He most likely still does this and maybe someone who knows him might come forward.

As far as footwear he wore a waffle type pattern many times but he also wore different boots and shoes according to victims. LE thought he bought things at the army navey surplus store in the area, so he could have gotten military boots there.

It's sad she couldn't finish it the way everyone wanted but a book was finished. It is also generating a lot of publicity that will hopefully lead to an arrest. Do you listen to Podcasts? There is an official "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" podcast about the making of the book. Evidently Michelle wanted to hold off on publishing as she felt they were nearing a solution in the case. It's been 42 years but for some reason I feel like this will be solved. That's not wishful thinking either. I won't be surprised if GSK is arrested or at least identified within the next year.

AD74

My first post too!i just became aware of this case and am also catching up. My first impressions have been similar to yours. Well to do family and father in construction/building. I think he worked for his dad’s company early on and that’s where the diagram of the neighborhood came from. My only hesitation has been that if he lived with parents at least early on, why was he so hungry all the time? It seems like the first thing he often did after securing the scene was eat. I found that so odd.

My first post too!i just became aware of this case and am also catching up. My first impressions have been similar to yours. Well to do family and father in construction/building. I think he worked for his dad’s company early on and that’s where the diagram of the neighborhood came from. My only hesitation has been that if he lived with parents at least early on, why was he so hungry all the time? It seems like the first thing he often did after securing the scene was eat. I found that so odd.
Welcome to Ws Kjm14!
When i think of a ravenous guy whether he is rich or poor, a teenager/very young adult male comes to mind.
Wonder what food he ate and what he would cook and how he cooked it?

I think eating was just one more mind game. Think about how familiar you have to be in someone's home before you're comfortable enough to reach in the fridge or cabinet for a snack.

I think he was eating because he was hungry. He spent hours and hours surveilling people, stalking and jumping fences, I doubt he carried much food with him.

I am following the Criminology podcasts, they are doing a good job.

I think the diagram area was discovered by Paul Holes. On the recent show The Golden State Killer: It's Not Over (INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY) shows the area and even had one of the homes marked/colored belonged to a young woman who worked in the construction business that could have been a EAR/ONS future victim.

I think he was eating because he was hungry. He spent hours and hours surveilling people, stalking and jumping fences, I doubt he carried much food with him.

I think the diagram area was discovered by Paul Holes. On the recent show The Golden State Killer: It's Not Over (INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY) shows the area and even had one of the homes marked/colored belonged to a young woman who worked in the construction business that could have been a EAR/ONS future victim.

Just putting it out there, seeing he was calling all his victims, some of whom had just moved into new homes, sounds like he could of been a telecommunications worker.... Similar case in Australia and there is a Telstra worker arrested after 20 years

I was actually wondering if he may have been a car salesman or affiliated cars with all of the different vehicles it seems he had access to. I just finished the book "Hunting a Psychopath" and in the book. This incident stuck out to me...

Attachments

• dennis allen.jpg
    dennis allen.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 43
http://www.islandpacket.com/entertainment/tv/article205812609.html
Sun City woman on new CNN series after surviving brutal rape in 1976 by serial killer

By Alex Kincaid

March 19, 2018
A Sun City resident who survived a brutal attack by "one of the nation's most prolific uncaught serial killers" appeared on CNN's Headline News channel's premiere of "Unmasking a Killer" on Sunday.

The five-part series will profile the man known as the East Area Rapist, the Original Night Stalker and Golden State Killer, who is responsible for 12 murders and 51 attacks — 45 of which were rapes — across California between 1976 and 1986, according to FBI and HLN.

BBM because construction??!!

Hey Everyone,

Please do not post random names unless you are sure they are the suspect or person of interest. It is unfair to people to all of a sudden find their names being discussed in connection with a horrible crime.

Thanks,
Tricia

Agreed. I cannot see how someone so clearly driven could just suddenly curb such a prolific compulsion. Maybe he completely changed his M.O as he had previously? Moved on to another county or even another country all together?

Is it possible that earons was young enough in 1976 to be in his late 50’s today? I think of him when I am looking at the sketch of the Delphi murder bridge guy, since it was a double murder by a trail. Earons has a victim as young as 13- and reports of his age varied so greatly, but some did put him in his teens at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288