CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sacbee link,

"Sweet said he would allow the defense, prosecutors and an attorney for the media seeking release of the documents to make a final argument at a 1:30 pm hearing Friday before he issues his order on what may be released."

Friday, June 1st:
*Motions Hearing continues (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - Joseph James DeAngelo (72/32 @ time of crime) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Sacramento County. Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) in December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) in July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point, Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine.
Total 12 counts of 1st degree murder.
5/2/18: A motion hearing involving a sealed search warrant in the case. The motion asks the court to enjoin the district attorney from taking further DNA, major case prints or body photographs from DeAngelo. Dianne Howard, the attorney of 72-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo, filed a motion to stop a search warrant. In response, the District Attorney filed an opposition to the defense’s motion. The judge pushed the hearing back to Thursday (5/3/18) morning to have more time to review each motion.
5/4/18: Judge denies defense motion. Rules search warrant seeking photos, DNA of JJD will proceed.
5/14/18: DeAngelo's last hearing was on 5/29 for the judge to decide on various motions from the defense, including one to close coverage of the hearings to the media. DeAngelo's lawyers also are fighting to keep the arrest warrant and search warrant affidavits sealed, despite a motion from The Sacramento Bee and numerous other news organizations to release them. JJD might enter a plea at today’s (5/29) hearing.
5/29/18 Update: Judge will decide on 5/31/18 regarding release of some documents. East Area rapist case will be continued to Thursday (5/31) afternoon @ 1:35pm. No decision yet on whether judge will unseal warrants. Judge expects to release some documents in East Area Rapist case by Friday, with redactions. JJD did not enter a plea on Wednesday 5/29.
5/31/18 Update: Lawyers in the East Area Rapist case. This hearing was closed to the public, held Judge’s chambers. Attorneys Thursday (hearing closed to public, held in Judge's chambers) continued to hash out what information should be redacted from arrest and search warrants that a judge in Sacramento plans to release as early as Friday (6/1).
6/1/18: Another Motions hearing today, June 1st, for Judge's decision on release.
His mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. It's also believed the serial killer also possibly killed Claude Snelling (45) on 9/11/75 in Visalia, Tulare County. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.

I think that by the time we get to see the documents with the redacted info it will be an anti climax. JJD is not appearing today I think I read so there prob won't be a plea either.

Did you see the tweet by Sam Stanton I linked yesterday? He took a pic of the court room window, which he thought looked like two bullet holes. Maybe someone is getting impatient?

MOO
Correct me if I am wrong. He hasn't entered a plea so we don't know if there will even be a trial. If he pleads guilty there will be a few short hearings on facts, without details, for the judge to determine a sentence per the law.

I haven't had time to sit and read both documents--later tonight, but our local news also posted them, with this comment:

"Further, documents relating to items seized from DeAngelo’s home will also remain sealed.

Attorneys working on the case say the documents include a list of evidence items that could link the defendant to the crimes.

DeAngelo's next court date is set for July 12."

I'm wondering does that mean the list of item FOUND or the list of items they were looking for?

Looking forward to the release of the docs. In terms of EAR receiving a fair trial, I am absolutely certain that there are 12 fair-minded people in this great state.

I haven't had time to sit and read both documents--later tonight, but our local news also posted them, with this comment:

"Further, documents relating to items seized from DeAngelo’s home will also remain sealed.

Attorneys working on the case say the documents include a list of evidence items that could link the defendant to the crimes.

DeAngelo's next court date is set for July 12."

I'm wondering does that mean the list of item FOUND or the list of items they were looking for?
Shoots. I want to know what items they found in his house. :-(

Shoots. I want to know what items they found in his house. :-(
we all did...lol i think it may be that the folks requesting that the info be released publicly only asked for the arrest and search warrants... So we may see some of what they were looking for but it seems clear from the one article we won't see what was actually found, for now.... which makes sense, they still are probably processing what they have, what's important to the case and what is just an old guys stuff

I don’t think the unredacted release is going to contain much we don’t already know. It may have some evidence they have in the Maggiore murders that we didn’t know about. The sexual assaults are out, any evidence seized is out as are computer and phone records for now.

Last edited:
RSBM

If they are calling the items seized from JJD's house " evidence" , I think they mean they were actually found in his house. This is what we had hoped for. JMO.

Attorneys working on the case say the documents include a list of evidence items that could link the defendant to the crimes."

I just cannot read those documents. They are too small to read and when I enlarge them the font just blurs.

Does anyone have a link to a good copy that can be zoomed and still readable on a phone?

I just cannot read those documents. They are too small to read and when I enlarge them the font just blurs.

Does anyone have a link to a good copy that can be zoomed and still readable on a phone?
It has a zoom button at the top right corner. I’m able to read them on my phone. Are you on a phone also? Here’s the direct link to the documents.

P v DeAngelo Redacted Arrest Warrant (Final) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304