CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough to prove back then that a random hammer and spray were bought at a random store by a random customer... unless maybe they were left behind. Of course everything he owns would also apply under that condition too.

If you had been the killer... what would be your thoughts on stealing vs just buying? That is not even considering that you were also a police officer.

I try to put myself into these 'positions' and what I think I might do. A police officer chancing being caught shop-lifting is just crazy to my lines of thought.

It is a lot like the arsonist that turns out to be a fire fighter. I suspect he got a thrill out of both the crime and the investigation.

Re: stealing vs. buying

He got caught stealing and lost his job.
Had he bought them and then used them in a crime, he may have been exposed and been in prison all these years.

CA had strict laws then. I’ve lived in CA last 45 yrs these days no way would you be arrested and go to trial for stealing a hammer and spray.

Yes there is a reason that the FBI chose to really highlight this sketch in 2016. It was the only sketch put on billboards. Known as "Revised Maggiore" it has long been rumoured that it not only includes one of the best witness descriptions of the killer (by witness Karl N.) but that it also incorporates elements of DNA phenotyping from a company like Parabon.

I agree that this is the only decent sketch but that would stand to reason. In the Maggiore killing, it was the only time that anyone got a really FULL look at his features. It is hard to make decent sketches by seing eyes and mouth through a ski mask. The other sketches were a complete waste of time. IMHO

Odd the dog spray and hammer... why he didn't just buy the stuff? Why chance getting caught for stealing and being fired as an officer? Especially for using in your crime spree. Very odd.

Excitement crave.

I wonder if his wife handled the money (or at least paid attention to it) and he stole the items so he wouldn't have to explain what he was buying or why he was buying it to his wife? Just a thought.

That’s a very good point. Your probably right.

If he had to explain to his wife about buying a hammer and dog spray so had to resort to stealing... no wonder he hated everyone.

Hmmm I sure hope LE digs up that beautiful lawn of his I wonder how many bodies could be buried there?

Sorry if it's been addressed but on Tuesday of this week before the big news broke I asked an associate why she thought EAR smelled so bad on at least two occasions. Was it the dog spray? Victims said it wasn't his breath as much as it seemed to pour out of his entire body. - - - ACD74

I must apologize for responding to so many threads at once instead of just one.
I think I finally figured it out. If I check a thread or comment thinking I'm saving for future reference, so my forgetful MS brain can recall what I'm trying to Remember,is what does it. So instead of archiving them it strings them all together.
Facepalm.

From information I have gleaned, I believe the following is how this guy was caught. I may be proven wrong after more comes out, but I stand by this for now.

Ancestry.com and other online DNA companies will compare submitted DNA against their records and identify anyone who appear to be relatives. They then notify the submitter of possible relatives he may not be aware of. These companies, however, guarantee confidentiality and will not co-operate with Law Enforcement. A Law Enforcement agency could submit a sample claiming to be a private citizen but, since this would be fraudulent, there is concern that US courts would disallow any evidence obtained this way and prosecution would not be possible. In Australia, however, such a use of these records is perfectly legal and Law Enforcement there has access to those DNA data bases including American DNA records.

In Australia, there is an as yet unidentified serial criminal referred to as Mr. Cruel who began operating in 1986, soon after the last known EAR/ONS crime. His crimes involved abducting and raping children so they weren’t that similar and he is only know to have killed once, so he isn’t technically a “ serial Killer” but due to the timing, there was some speculation that EAR/ONS may have moved down under and changed his game a little.

Apparently, Australian authorities were interested enough in this possibility to compare the EAR/ONS DNA against the Commercial DNA data bases, in a search that was completely compliant with Australian Law. They found no matches or relatives in Australia but they did identify one or more close family member of EAR/ONS who lived in the US. They relayed this legally obtained information to the FBI.

Cynics might suspect that nobody really believed Mr. Cruel had anything to do with EAR/ONS and it was all just a rouse to get around the US confidentiality laws. Who knows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Entirely possible but JJD had 2 sisters and a brother, they surely had kids & grandchildren too. Familial DNA has been legal in California for a long time. What makes it so much more likely that it was done by a for profit DNA source than CODIS? Makes for a more interesting story but its just as likely someone in the family was arrested and submitted DNA recently too.

..I see he pried open doors...that's why I have a dog ...even when neighbors just get out of their cars, she is alerted and barks sometimes
..I notice some people do not think locking doors is important --I double check my doors at night and lock the ''screen'' doors
..I'm sure I've read where some rapists/burglars have got in through open windows!!
...some humans just are not security conscious ....
..of course I'm a light sleeper ....some people are heavy sleepers

I thought I read where GSK got in through patio doors--so I can see how those are not as ''safe''

GSK would (supposedly) spray dog repellant on himself. There were victims who had dogs, but the dogs always avoided him. He would also canvas the house for days (again *supposedly* from his cop car), learn coming-and-going patterns of the victims, and doing a break-in sometimes hours or days before the "real" attack. He would break locks, remove bullets from guns, steal guns altogether, memorize house layout, etc. Then he'd leave and attack again with everything ready for him.

With someone like GSK, there was no hope for people who were already very "safe." He was just so prepared.

Again, the above are educated guesses mixed with facts. We will HOPEFULLY know for sure in the upcoming days and weeks!

That’s a very good point. Your probably right.
there are many post on this subject
he could've easily said he bought the repellent for when he went biking...or a million other excuses
dog repellent isn't/wasn't that expensive

I’m sorry but I can’t find the original post ...
Someone was surprised that his arrest was for a DNA match in the Maggiore case because they didn’t know DNA was retrieved in that murder. My hunch is that LE was able to gather DNA from the pre-tied shoelaces found near Brian’s body.

Thank you so much. I was wondering that myself but had forgotten about the pretied shoelaces. One less question off my overtaxed brain. :) Thank you!

So does he have 2 or 3 daughters? Yesterday they were saying 3, but the neighbors whose daughter babysat for him only talked about 2.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Parents-of-babysitter-for-East-Area-Rapist-12865027.php

This article interviews his brother-in-law, who says THREE daughters. I'm more inclined to believe family than a neighbor. Maybe the neighbor only ever really saw 2 daughters. https://www.pe.com/2018/04/25/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo-ex-cop-is-suspected-golden-state-killer/

GSK would (supposedly) spray dog repellant on himself. There were victims who had dogs, but the dogs always avoided him. He would also canvas the house for days (again *supposedly* from his cop car), learn coming-and-going patterns of the victims, and doing a break-in sometimes hours or days before the "real" attack. He would break locks, remove bullets from guns, steal guns altogether, memorize house layout, etc. Then he'd leave and attack again with everything ready for him.

With someone like GSK, there was no hope for people who were already very "safe." He was just so prepared.

Again, the above are educated guesses mixed with facts. We will HOPEFULLY know for sure in the upcoming days and weeks!
wait right there
if your dog starts barking--and mine barks before people get to the door/etc, and you have a pistol---how will the killer not get blown away??etc
..you know someone is out there before they get in--if you have good locks
..if your locks are broken--and they say the area was in fear--you better do something to fix your locks..
..no one and nothing gets near our house without the dog barking/warning...
...forgot to add--my ''screen'' doors are locked also--so before anyone gets to the main doors, they have to break the screen doors--which are glass

So does he have 2 or 3 daughters? Yesterday they were saying 3, but the neighbors whose daughter babysat for him only talked about 2.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Parents-of-babysitter-for-East-Area-Rapist-12865027.php

Yes, I would like a clear answer on this too. I can only find reference to two but keep hearing about three. If there are three daughters, did the ex wife have one with her. Was he legally granted custody to the children or was it a clear case of abandonment by the wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82