CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also very time consuming. It sounds like he did a lot of stalking, planning, etc. He even followed up by calling and taunting victims. That gets harder as he had family and work commitments that made it more difficult to explain absences from home and prowling around at night. How did his wife not become suspicious when he stayed out all night doing multiple rapes and murders?

That's what I'd like to know.

I would be curious to know what took him the the central coast and Southern CA for the later killings? He was methodical in selecting victims, and it appeared that he "stalked" and researched them before attacking, including possibly having a dog with him for the Santa Barbara killings.

How was he able to justify being away from home so much to plan his attacks and what took him to So Cal when he lived in No. Cal?

There's a pattern in terms of both time frame and geography.

Time frame: Most crimes occurred Mid-1976 through Dec. 1979, predominantly rapes, with the exception of the Maggiores. The killings occurred in the early 80s, but there were fewer of them. After May 4, 1986, he stopped altogether, as far as we know.

Geographically, he stays along 50 and then branches out into the 680 corridor in 1978 - San Ramon, Danville, Fremont, and into San Jose, with a couple in Modesto and Stockton, and then the 80s crimes are in Southern California.

I'm guessing that he worked in the East Bay Area for a time in 1978.

It's just incredible that he was able to get away with so many horrible crimes. But people then did not have burglar alarms and security cameras like many do today.

:cow:

wait right there
if your dog starts barking--and mine barks before people get to the door/etc, and you have a pistol---how will the killer not get blown away??etc
..you know someone is out there before they get in--if you have good locks
..if your locks are broken--and they say the area was in fear--you better do something to fix your locks..
..no one and nothing gets near our house without the dog barking/warning...
...forgot to add--my ''screen'' doors are locked also--so before anyone gets to the main doors, they have to break the screen doors--which are glass

I guess you're not very familiar with this case. In one home he cased, he found guns under the bed. He unloaded them and put them back under the bed. He then tried to goat the husband I'm sure hoping he'd reach for one of his guns only to find it unloaded and then either would have laughed at the man or used it as an excuse to kill him. GSK often went into his victims homes several times to learn the layout and look for weapons during his stalking of his victims prior to the actual attacks. He would either make friends with the homeowners dogs or violently subdue them. He cut phones lines so they could not call for help. He was a police officer who specialized in burglary cases at one point . He knew exactly what to do to get around all home security including dogs and weapons.

wait right there
if your dog starts barking--and mine barks before people get to the door/etc, and you have a pistol---how will the killer not get blown away??etc
..you know someone is out there before they get in--if you have good locks
..if your locks are broken--and they say the area was in fear--you better do something to fix your locks..
..no one and nothing gets near our house without the dog barking/warning...
...forgot to add--my ''screen'' doors are locked also--so before anyone gets to the main doors, they have to break the screen doors--which are glass

Because by that time, he already would know when you were at home and when you were out. He stalked the house for days before breaking-in to "prepare" the house. Your dog can bark, but he would only enter when he saw you leave for work/go to the store/etc.

Also remember, this guy was not an amateur, he was ex-military and as a cop he was on a burglary unit...he knew what he was doing.

But I do agree, for victims who knew they already had a break-in, it seems odd to not double-check doors and windows are locked (he frequently unlocked all windows in his preparation break-in). But I guess that's easy to say looking back. At that time, people weren't as aware of safety concerns such as this.

I know this isn't supposed to be funny, but I had to laugh at this.
Honestly, I'd be concerned about my dinner in the oven too, lol.

Was he arrested before dawn, like 4:30 am or something like that? Seems I read or heard that, but could be wrong.

There's a pattern in terms of both time frame and geography.

Time frame: Most crimes occurred Mid-1976 through Dec. 1979, predominantly rapes, with the exception of the Maggiores. The killings occurred in the early 80s, but there were fewer of them. After May 4, 1986, he stopped altogether, as far as we know.

Geographically, he stays along 50 and then branches out into the 680 corridor in 1978 - San Ramon, Danville, Fremont, and into San Jose, with a couple in Modesto and Stockton, and then the 80s crimes are in Southern California.

I'm guessing that he worked in the East Bay Area for a time in 1978.

It's just incredible that he was able to get away with so many horrible crimes. But people then did not have burglar alarms and security cameras like many do today.

:cow:
a lot of serial killers/rapists get away with many murders/rapes--over a long period .......or else they wouldn't be serial killers
some are suspects long before they are caught

...serial killers are not common--so even though police/etc have other cases to learn from--it's not an exact science..
..and there are not ''many'' cases to learn from compared to ''normal'' murders
...dealing with any type of human actions is not an exact science
...people kill/rob/etc for the most and many different irrational/''idiotic''/nonsensical/etc reasons--
...even with clues, they have many variables and possibilities --many aspects...per my previous post many pages ago

Was he arrested before dawn, like 4:30 am or something like that? Seems I read or heard that, but could be wrong.

No, I believe it was in the afternoon.

One neighbor saw several cars pull up to DeAngelo’s house in the late afternoon, and armored police pour out of them, with arrest warrants on charges of murder.

DeAngelo, surprised, surrendered without incident, the AP wrote.

He reportedly told deputies he had a roast in the oven.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/04/26/joseph-deangelo-golden-state-killer-suspect-was-normal-grandpa-according-to-teen/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.07d65dea3b84

Yes, I would like a clear answer on this too. I can only find reference to two but keep hearing about three. If there are three daughters, did the ex wife have one with her. Was he legally granted custody to the children or was it a clear case of abandonment by the wife?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the older one stayed with the mother when they split up. The neighbors whose daughter babysat talked about the girls being 6 and 8 or so...that would be the ones born in '86 and '89 probably.

I guess you're not very familiar with this case. In one home he cased, he found guns under the bed. He unloaded them and put them back under the bed. He then tried to goat the husband I'm sure hoping he'd reach for one of his guns only to find it unloaded and then either would have laughed at the man or used it as an excuse to kill him. GSK often went into his victims homes several times to learn the layout and look for weapons during his stalking of his victims prior to the actual attacks. He would either make friends with the homeowners dogs or violently subdue them. He cut phones lines so they could not call for help. He was a police officer who specialized in burglary cases at one point . He knew exactly what to do to get around all home security including dogs and weapons.

you must not have read my post--how does the homeowner not get his weapon before the killer breaks in--if the dog alerts the homeowner??
so he goes in when no one is there and unloads the weapons???!!!
so when the homeowner comes home he should:
--know something is wrong if the door is broken
--should check the weapons whether the door is broken or not to see if they are loaded--before going to bed he should check the weapons
--so he subdues the dog when no one is around?
--but doesn't the dog bark when he comes back??
etc

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the older one stayed with the mother when they split up. The neighbors whose daughter babysat talked about the girls being 6 and 8 or so...that would be the ones born in '86 and '89 probably.

I feel so sorry for the daughters. From what I read about the ex-wife on Yelp yesterday, she seems like a piece of work, too.

Because by that time, he already would know when you were at home and when you were out. He stalked the house for days before breaking-in to "prepare" the house. Your dog can bark, but he would only enter when he saw you leave for work/go to the store/etc.

Also remember, this guy was not an amateur, he was ex-military and as a cop he was on a burglary unit...he knew what he was doing.

But I do agree, for victims who knew they already had a break-in, it seems odd to not double-check doors and windows are locked (he frequently unlocked all windows in his preparation break-in). But I guess that's easy to say looking back. At that time, people weren't as aware of safety concerns such as this.
so are you saying, he was already in the house when the owner got home?

my family has always been super security conscious....and we lived in a ''not good'' area
I ''constantly'' give my kids security tips
but it's difficult to be aware 24/7 365
and you can still be robbed/etc no matter what you do

but serial killers like this are rare---and ''normal'' burglars usually like unoccupied houses/etc

neighborhoods are usually quiet ---without traffic during the day ...
these serial killers and burglars are a prime reason why people do not like strangers in their area..why they feel uncomfortable

He was arrested around 4 pm on Tuesday and booked at 2:30 am on Wednesday.

That's what I'd like to know.

It's funny, I was talking to my husband about this case before her was arrested, about why he stopped. I said, well maybe he retired. As in, retired from a job, not retired from crime. If he was using his job as a cover for his late night activities, if he no longer had that job, he would not be able to explain being out at night. I think it would be very easy for a police officer to explain being out all night. Did the crime spree slow down right around the time he got fired?

I feel so sorry for the daughters. From what I read about the ex-wife on Yelp yesterday, she seems like a piece of work, too.

Been there myself! I was raised by my paternal Grandparents (and very happy that I was) and my younger sister was raised by our Mother. Complicated and hard to explain as you grow up. I know several situations where the children "chose" to stay with one parent or the other. In any case, I certainly feel bad for those children today. They never asked to have this nightmare visited on them.

It’s still a requirement for several agencies I know of that hire corrections officers!

I have worked for a federal LE agency for many years. We currently utilize polygraphs as part of our hiring process. A good % fail at this stage. My hubby is a city firefighter. They utilize a polygraph.

Someone earlier in this thread stated LE agencies utilize DNA now during the hiring process, so they have it on file to eliminate scene contamination. Well, it's been many years since I've been hired, but I sure hadn't heard that requirement from any of our HR training/updates, or from the applicants. Maybe it happens at the medical exam, but if that's the case...there's lots of old timers that have never had their DNA added. We utilize fingerprints for hiring - for part of the background check AND scene contamination issues.

Re DNA and private testing, just saying...no one in our agency (at least local office) has ever submitted DNA to the private company's. Not so much that we have something to hide, but because we don't know how it's going to play out years from now, with LE search warrants for DNA from these companies, etc. Just something to think about.

Just my $.02

It's funny, I was talking to my husband about this case before her was arrested, about why he stopped. I said, well maybe he retired. As in, retired from a job, not retired from crime. If he was using his job as a cover for his late night activities, if he no longer had that job, he would not be able to explain being out at night. I think it would be very easy for a police officer to explain being out all night. Did the crime spree slow down right around the time he got fired?

I think it was about the time DNA was coming into focus as a tool to solve crimes that he actually quit.

this is true. but since there was no www and files were paper then who knows maybe they were destroyed or lost. idk just speculating.

But this has been an open case for so long. It was suggested repeatedly that this guy was cop.

If he had to explain to his wife about buying a hammer and dog spray so had to resort to stealing... no wonder he hated everyone.

Remember, BTK kept a little metal shed out back of the house that he kept locked. His daughter said no one was allowed in there. He told them it was his workshop, they always assumed he was back there working on carpentry, etc. projects. It's where he kept some tools he used in his crimes and the "souvenirs" he collected from his victims.

http://www.kansas.com/news/special-reports/btk/article1003734.html

I noticed DeAngelo also had a little shed in his back yard. He probably had some secret/private place where he kept some criminal tools over the years, in different homes he may have lived in. LE will find out.

I kind of wondered if he resorted to shoplifting for kicks, the same way he burglarized homes for years. He may have been doing it for years and it was just the first time he got caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88