CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it shouts look closer. Unfortunately nobody did so he escalated into serial killing.

I think the issue is that he was an Auburn police officer (Auburn is in Placer County) and the killings took place in Sacramento, Yolo, San Joaquin, Ventura, and Stanislaus Counties. And he used a gun and a knife. So, yes, in hindsight, it looks suspicious, but at the time, less so. But I agree that it merited a closer look.

roger that....he stole this in 1979? --first rapes/murder 1976 to 1986 ?
I agree the year 1979 is a clue--along with his being a cop -- for investigators that analyzed it much later....
the profile is spot on with LE possible suspect ... but weren't they also looking at non-LE also?
...I've read pretty much on serial killers and I thought some were suspects long before they were caught? some were even interviewed and let go

remember the DC snipers?? they were sleeping in a parking lot in the early morning--this is very suspicious...the cops didn't even investigate it....--point being:cops/investigators are only human...they can't catch every killer all the time...they make mistakes ...
...''a lot'' of these killers are found not by police work/investigation--but my tips from civilians
bold for emphasis only

I guess this is why police officers say they dread having a serial killer in their locality - its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Not to mention the panic it causes among the population they're trying to police, which in turn probably prompts reams and reams of irrelevant 'tips', all of which have to be sifted through, and many containing what also look like red flags.

So anything that can make the haystack smaller and the needle more obvious should be welcomed. I suggest two groups of people should be looked at more closely in serial killer investigations where the profile includes LE/military experience....

1) People who have been fired from police forces in the locality

2) People who have been dishonourably discharged from the military and moved to the locality.

Must read.... From a police sargeant who worked with JJD for three years. I edited the following quite a bit. There's more at link.

Retired Exeter Police Sergeant Farrel Ward worked with DeAngelo in the 1970’s, when the crime spree is thought to have begun.

Ward said he worked with DeAngelo for about three years – there were about eight or nine sworn officers in Exeter at that time.

“I think I’m the only [one] left,” he said, “they’ve either passed away or moved.”

He was stunned Wednesday morning when he heard of DeAngelo’s arrest.

[Regarding the Claude Snelling murder]

Ward, the only Exeter K-9 handling officer, was called in to search for the shooter, along with Visalia PD and other local agencies.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if after killing the guy, he’d changed his clothes and came in to join the search,” Ward said in hindsight.

Ward described DeAngelo as super smart and serious.

“Joe was kind of the black sheep of the family, standoffish, and he didn’t like to joke around,” he said.

Ward added that he thought DeAngelo had a master’s degree and wondered what he was doing working for a small town agency.

“He was a nice enough guy and friendly [with the other officers]. He was good at his job,” Ward said.

“There was no indication, whatsoever, that he was mentally disturbed,” Ward said.

“I’m just devastated,” he continued. “I can’t believe I worked alongside a guy who would do something like that . . .He had been in my house around, my wife and my daughter.”

https://www.ourvalleyvoice.com/2018...ied-as-golden-state-killer-visalia-ransacker/

70E4B302-4BB9-496D-B455-24B21D28832C.jpeg
EC77B796-698F-4EA9-AD08-FFA5E6892F48.jpeg

It’s hard to imagine how the wife and family didn’t suspect him.
I’m sure the FBI is finding out everything they can from them now.

I hope there's a gas chamber in California with his name on it.

Well, it's lethal injection now, but the problem in California is it may take 30-40 years to actually carry out the execution, and he'll be around 100 years old by then.

Hard to believe, but there are men on Death Row who have been there since the early 1980's when they were sentenced. Just one example: search Ricky Rene Sanders and Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Thirty-six years now and no closer to execution than when he arrived at San Quentin. It's a travesty of justice.

No freaking way! Holy moly, what an insane development. I raced here after seeing a headline, need to go read up. This truly has been an amazing year for identification of the unidentified and solving of cold cases.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

And its still only April.

May there be many more to come!

DeAngelo Was a Police Officer, Who at One Point Was in Charge of Investigating Burglaries, Until He Was Accused of Shoplifting Dog Repellent & a Hammer at a Drug Store in 1979

Joseph DeAngelo was a police officer in California, from 1973 until 1979, when he was fired after being accused of shoplifting a can of dog repellent and a hammer at a Sacramento drug store, according to an article from a newspaper archive posted by Billy Jensen. He was a police officer in Auburn at the time.

A 1973 newspaper article from The Exeter Sun reveals that DeAngelo, then 27, was hired as a police officer in Exeter in August of that year. The newspaper article says he is a Bath, New York, native and is the son is the son of Joseph James DeAngelo Sr. and Kathleen Bosanko, who died in 2010. It is not clear if his father is still alive. DeAngelo served in the Vietnam War after graduating from Folsom Senior High School in June 1964.

In his late teens, DeAngelo moved to rural Auburn with his mother and stepfather, according to Doug Burgarel, a neighbor at that time. DeAngelo’s stepfather worked for Burgarel’s father at Sierra Crane and Hoist as a welder making indoor overhead cranes. The stepfather bought a piece of land from the Burgarals and built a home.

He lived with his mother and stepfather in Auburn, according to the Sacramento Bee. In 1970, he worked for Sierra Crane and Hoist with his stepfather. He went on to study at Sierra College, completing an associate’s degree with honors in police science. He then attended California State University at Sacramento and graduated with a degree in criminal justice, specializing in criminal law. Before being hired in Exeter, he interned with the Roseville Police Department, working in the patrol, identification and investigation divisions.

In 1976, while working in Exeter, DeAngelo was promoted to sergeant and put in charge of an anti-burglary team with another sergeant from a nearby department, according to a newspaper article from the time. DeAngelo “will investigate burglaries and attempt to prevent them by informing the public about burglary prevention methods,” according to the article. The team was called “Joint Attack on Burglary.”

After three years in Exeter, DeAngelo then started working for the Auburn Police Department in late 1976. The 1979 newspaper report by the Auburn Journal shows that DeAngelo was fired a month after his arrest.

“Auburn City Manager Jack Sausser said DeAngelo failed to answer any of the city’s investigations and did not request an administrative hearing so was dismissed Monday,” the newspaper wrote. Sausser told the newspaper, “There was justifiable grounds to remove him from the public sector.” DeAngelo did not comment about his arrest and firing at the time. Auburn Police Chief Nick Willick told the newspaper, “It is very important that the community have the utmost trust and faith in its officers’ integrity; when this trust and faith has been compromised, officers can no longer effectively function in the community.”

DeAngelo was arrested July 21, 1979, at the Pay N’Save Store off Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights, according to the newspaper. He was caught trying to steal the items by store employees and was then cited by Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputies. Two months later, in September 1979, the East Area Rapist stabbed a dog while prowling in a neighborhood, according to The Daily Beast.

“Dog repellant. Hammer. And refuses a hearing after shoplifting charge. Just took his punishment and left the force so no one would look deeper,” Jensen wrote on Twitter.

But the resignation did not end the case against DeAngelo, Auburn Journal archives show. The newspaper wrote several articles chronicling the shoplifting saga between August and October 1979. DeAngelo took the case to trial in October 1979. A clerk at the store testified that he found a hammer in DeAngelo’s pants while they struggled in a back room of the store. He then tried to escape. Another clerk testified that he saw DeAngelo take a can of dog repellant out of the waistband of his trousers. According to the news report, deputies arrived to find that the clerks had tied DeAngelo to a chair and said he was “in an emotional state.” The jury found DeAngelo guilty on October 31, 1979, and a judge sentenced him to six months of probation and a $100 fine.

DeAngelo, who testified during his trial and denied trying to steal the items, appealed his firing, but later dropped his appeal after being found guilty in criminal court.

“It is very possible that he was committing the crimes while he was a police officer, but we’re unsure if he did those while on the job,” Sheriff Scott Jones said at a press conference.

Exeter Police Chief John Hall told CNN, “It is absolutely shocking that someone can commit such heinous crimes, and finding out someone in a position of trust could betray that is absolutely unbelievable.”

In a statement, the Auburn Police Department said it will “do everything within its power to support this investigation and any prosecution that follows. We will pull out all the stops for our Sacramento-area law enforcement partners in this horrific and historic case.”

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

Thanks, wow crazy I'm surprised no researchers who thought he might be a cop stumbled upon this.

When you hear about Mr Cruel, in Australia, you will be shocked.
If there is a connection!!!

I know about Mr. Cruel. It's long been speculated these are the same guys. Apparently there is actually no connection to Australia at all as far as DNA goes, that was just a rumour - they used DNA but no link to Australia. There's no connection between DeAngelo and Mr. Cruel. It's good that avenue can be forgotten about in efforts to find Mr. Cruel.

I'm really quite sad McNamara didn't live to see this.

The big thing back in the 70's & even 80's were police agencies didn't communicate with each other, it was a complete joke back then to bring all sources together & try & figure out what was going on.

No computers, no technologies like today.......but even today walls are put up with agencies. DNA is the biggest weapon against criminals......in the 70's, if you were a cop, & wanted to commit crimes & get away with it, it was open season.

Exactly. Did you read "Helter Skelter"? Author Vincent Bugliosi wrote about the failure of agencies to communicate with each other in the Manson case.

...remember Hillside Strangler Ken Bianchi wanted to be a cop and the ''authorities'' questioned him about the Hillside murders long before he was caught........the Stanglers posed as cops..Bianchi was a security guard at one time
....did the GSK murder for the ''common'' reason of a ''power high''? is this why he wanted to be a cop also? like Bianchi? for the ''drug'' of power??

When I started the thread on this case nearly 13 years ago, I doubted they would ever find him. I am so glad I was wrong! This was a shocking conclusion to a case I have followed for so many years. I was going to say something on the original thread, but I found it closed. It was fitting. I am glad to see this thread and I hope his capture gives some relief to the living victims and the families of the deceased.

This feels I've been watching a movie and now the twist at the end was revealed and I need to go back and watch the movie again to put the pieces all together.

Burgarel said DeAngelo was injured while serving in the military and lost a finger. He had one younger brother. His mother worked as a waitress at a Denny’s in Auburn.

He lost a finger! Other than fingerprints, that's certainly a reason to wear gloves! Can you imagine if they'd had THAT identifier .. "Four fingers on a hand".

Mom worked at a Denny's.... Ugh that gave me chills. He called one of the victims many years later who worked at a Denny's, iirc. I'm sure its not the same one, but so many creepy factors.

http://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article209792989.html

So, where was he living when he committed the murders in Ventura, Irvine, etc.? I suppose they're still putting all this together, as they said, the case is still active.

JMO, the more I'm reading about these recent developments in these cases, the more I lean to them getting their tip via familial DNA through a database like Ancestry.com, 23&Me, etc. Just a hunch.

This is my thought, too. I know familial DNA is allowed in CA.

If you're really that serious about it narrow your search down to a state look up how many cops there have been in a given time range, look up how many have been convicted of murder, do the same with how many drug arrests that are non violent and how many were later arrested and convcited again for murder....

Many times you need to combine statistics together and not just take the hard work of someone else...again especially if you're serious about it

This doesn't make any sense. You said look at the statistics... well where are they? Do they exist or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288