CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #2

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by Coldpizza, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldpizza

Coldpizza WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

7 Dead in Drive-by Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara
    SANTA BARBARA, Calif. May 24, 2014 (AP)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dead-drive-shooting-uc-santa-barbara-23853689

Link to Media thread: CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara shooting - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

2. Loading...

3. Salem

Salem Former Member

Please continue here.

Salem

4. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

His little brother he planned to kill was unsuspecting and innocent as well. Brother actually looked up to him. He planned to kill him anyway.

5. Quester

Quester New Member

Yes - and the brother was the charge of the father who long knew about ER's difficulties. JMO

Step-mom was probably relieved to finally kick ER out of their home so as to protect the innocent brother. JMO

6. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting she shouldn't have?

7. Isabelle

Isabelle Verified registered nurse

Agree, and they made sure he lived away from them. Reminds me of ostriches with their heads in the sand!

8. Quester

Quester New Member

Where do you see that suggestion? TIA

9. bettybaby00

bettybaby00 New Member

I just found it odd that he would go and stay at the dad's and dad was hardly ever around. It was also interesting to note that he more highly regarded dad b/c he found himself a new GF so quickly. That says a lot to me about his perception of women. Despite seemingly loving his mother, he saw she was easily replaced, and that a mother figure was interchangeable. and he was OK with that. That's not a typical reaction. Most kids are angry at the father (or mom) for doing that. Instead he respects his dad more.

Clearly his 7 year old self didn't organize his thoughts in this sophisticated manner, but it seems clear that he did subconsciously draw many conclusions about the experience, and those conclusions probably started laying the foundation.

It's telling he refers to her as his dad's acquisition. Is all about appearances. He doesn't say, "my dad was such a great guy, everyone liked him and I wasn't surprised he found a new GF." It's about how "women found him attractive." Nor does it ever seem to enter his mind that his father and this women fell in love, and that they made each other happy.

The more I'm learning, he definitely seems to have narcissistic issues, the hallmarks of which are having little to no empathy for others, and an obsessive self interest.

10. human

human Well-Known Member

As parents, we normally love our children unconditionally. That is our job.

I have met a lot of unpleasant children who are adored by their parents.

We find Elliot repugnant. His personality was putrid.

But that does not mean his parents saw him that way.

Think of the obnoxious children you know that are loved by their parents.

11. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me as well.
    They were paying for his lifestyle and buying him expensive gifts such as a car.

12. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

If he was supposed to live at home, whose home was he supposed to live at?

13. Quester

Quester New Member

I don't recall having suggested he should have lived at home.

I do resent that this "very disturbed", un-medicated young man was bomb dropped in the midst of IV. JMO

He should have been under supervision somewhere and I think there are those that knew it too. JMO

14. Zuri

Zuri Active Member

IIRC, ER mom did not want him to return to IV after being cleared by orthopedist in April. She wanted him to remain in Woodland Hills.

15. bettybaby00

bettybaby00 New Member

I can't get down on these parents, not fully anyway. I'm sure mistakes were made and hindsight is always 20/20. He seems to have been a master manipulator, and I would hope that if he really presented as badly as we now know he was, his therapists would have warned the parents that unleashing him onto an unsuspecting public was a bad, very bad idea.

Also, as enlightening as we find his manifesto we have no idea how accurate it is. Any of it, some of it, none of it? Did he really repeatedly ask to go home? He was definitely delusional about himself, and the situations that enraged him.

Unless we get some direct info from the family, which I find unlikely, we won't get a more complete picture.

16. human

human Well-Known Member

Females tend to turn their self loathing unto themselves. Cutting, eating disorders, etc.

Males tend to take it out on others.

It appears he was really quiet. His parents probably knew of his hatred of self and they tried to bolster it with material goods and "friends" and therapy.

I am sure they were afraid he would kill himself. I don't think they guessed he would turn into a killer of others

I doubt that he would have agreed to being a mama's boy at his age--living at home

17. Flutterby80

Flutterby80 New Member

Equally telling, he rails against his mother not marrying someone rich after the divorce so that he could live in the style he deserves. He actually called her selfish for not doing so.

So it had nothing to do with his parents' happiness. He couldn't have cared less about that. It was all about him. As was everything.

18. CARIIS

CARIIS Typist Extraordinaire!

When it was all 4 of them.............what does one do when startled, scared,? Pull back a bit - watch him when (right after dad dismissive hand motion) body stiffed , head cocked back eyes changed) .

High functioning.....sure he told ( assessed) by mom and dad, can he handle this, reminded gently that there will be a lot of people here tongight , its ok ( and my vote gave him a xanex -they love xanex )

Their entrance seemed hurried, if only they could get to their seats, less stimulation, sitting, less hand shakes etc. They did not stop at the interaction with the male, he stopped them.

19. Zuri

Zuri Active Member

No stones please.

My young adult son is a recovering drug addict. He has been sober for the past year and a half. This is so painful to even write.

We paid for his sober living house, programs, treatment, living expenses, everything. We got him a car so he could work and get to meetings. Once he graduated from the supervised, structured sober living environment and moved into a house with other grads of the program, we have paid for that too. He is thriving for the first time in 5 years.

He is working and figuring life out. Yes, I pay for his health and car insurance, phone, and on occasion now, help with rent. He is 25 and trying. We have been through hell and back and I have wept as my heart broke. I hope you all won't think less of me because I did all these things for him. I just simply could not give up on him. He is my son. I love him with all my heart as I do my other 2 children.

As parents, I think we try as hard as we can to raise healthy, productive children, giving them whatever opportunities we can. I made many mistakes before I could even see light at the end of the tunnel. Please don't judge me too harshly. For this reason, I can't throw stones at ER parents.

20. Flutterby80

Flutterby80 New Member

No way am I going to judge you. My son is 8. I have no idea of the challenges we might face, but I assure you that we will face them together. I am in no position to judge you.

I am so glad that your son is doing well. I hope the bad memories continue to be replaced with the good ones. I wish him well.

Thank you for sharing. :seeya:

21. bettybaby00

bettybaby00 New Member

I haven't gotten that far yet :)

That's so self absorbed I can't even wrap my head around it.

IDK, this guy seems to have had this selfish, entitled attitude from a very young age, why?

It's more than just having parents that are permissive, and over indulgent. I think a lot of parents are, yet most kids don't develop into such dysfunctional individuals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.