Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by tiapoodle, Jun 19, 2020.

1. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

Mom who disappeared after setting out on a 'pandemic road trip' is found dead | Daily Mail Online

"A California mom who vanished after she set out on a 'pandemic road trip' has been confirmed dead.

Erika Lloyd, 37, was last seen setting off from her home in Walnut Creek on June 14 last year, intending to drive seven hours to Joshua Tree National Park.

The mother-of-one's disappearance sparked a large-scale search which came to end on January 31, when hikers discovered human remains on a desert trail in Wonder Valley - about 15 miles northeast of Joshua Tree."

turanna25, swedeheart, misgrn and 7 others like this.

2. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Whereas I suggested it was Cottonwood Drive in Twentynine Palms, which is on the route from the campground where Erika stayed and in between that campground and where her body was found.

Amboy Road is 4 miles north of Cottonwood, both run in the same direction.

I'm not at all sure that Erika walked by herself from her wrecked and abandoned car to where her body was found, but it is within the realm of possibility.

As to CoD, there are many forms of homicide that wouldn't show up in skeletal remains, and death from exposure is pretty much a diagnosis of exclusion and circumstance.

KatzEye, momsof3, Rural_PC and 8 others like this.
  3. bykerladi

bykerladi Well-Known Member

If they rule her death "undetermined" I'm going to scream.

4. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

she wouldn't be the first at joshua tree thats for sure

there was a story on the weather channel just this week about a man who parked his car and hiked in to joshua tree he tripped over a boulder and broke his leg at the hip joint

the guy couldn't walk and had very little water to last a long period of time, only about a litre

they barley found him because they were able to get his car ping from the service provider but it took 2 days of his son and emergency rescue flying helicopters around joshua tree trying to find him

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. MsMiniSleuth

MsMiniSleuth Well-Known Member

Erika Lloyd's black Honda sedan was found with smashed windows, a shattered radio, and the airbag deployed, KESQ reported.

Authorities said at the time that no foul play was expected and were investigating whether Lloyd was involved in an accident.

Her campsite and gear was found still intact at Jumbo Rocks Campground in Joshua Tree, about 10 miles from where the car was found.

It remains unclear whether Lloyd met with foul play or simply lost her bearings after setting off on a hike in Wonder Valley.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14118645/erika-lloyd-found-dead-joshua-tree-national-park-california/

6. MsMiniSleuth

MsMiniSleuth Well-Known Member

swedeheart, jash, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  7. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

Being that she was found 1/4 from a road I can’t help but suspect foul play. But with the condition of her car and airbags deployed she most likely had an accident and became disillusioned.

CatsMeoww, swedeheart, misgrn and 3 others like this.
  8. wary

wary Well-Known Member

‘Disillusioned?’ I’m guessing that autocorrect stabbed you in the back?

Cuoco7, swedeheart, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  9. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Here is a very thorough article about Erika's case that came out before she was identified. Very interesting, and titled "Panic in Wonder Valley."
    Panic In Wonder Valley After Sixth Body Turns Up In Less Than Fourteen Months | SBCSentinel

One of the other bodies that was identified was also a 37 year old mother, who "loved doing hair."
    Bones of Missing 37-Year-Old Mother Found Outside Joshua Tree National Park

Not sure how that's not slightly suspicious (and sounds like locals agree), but ...???

Looking forward to hearing what Erika's COD is.

10. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

I meant disoriented. No idea why I chose that word lol.

Cuoco7, Nancy2441, swedeheart and 6 others like this.
  11. swedeheart

Marg from Oz, jash, misgrn and 2 others like this.
  12. swedeheart

Small discussion about location of her body (with map visuals) at about 14:15.

13. swedeheart

"It is not impossible for her to have walked from her car to this spot, absolutely not impossible." (Doug Billings, cave expert, who searched for Erika for 100s of hours.)

Edit: I had to change the word possible to impossible, but I'm still not sure what he said.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    NoSI, Curious_in_NC, Flicka1 and 5 others like this.
  14. Gregoryowen

Gregoryowen Member

Did law enforcement look at the video of Erika's car leaving the park and driving my the school? I would take a closer look at the vehicles that were in front and behind Erika's car in those videos.