Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

Waaay too quiet for me. Is anyone aware of a search and rescue attempt at JTNP? I haven’t seen anything on that, and usually a large operation is the norm at the park.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Her car was ticketed in the park (I have seen both Indian Cove and Jumbo Rocks campgrounds listed) but was then moved and ultimately located near Twentynine Palms but outside of JTNP, correct? If that is accurate, JoSAR probably isn't conducting a search. I have a close friend on JoSAR and I will reach out to her to see if she knows anything. She's searched for lots of people in JTNP, including Miller and the young couple who passed from murder-suicide. I'd like to be a JoSAR volunteer but I unfortunately don't have the time to commit that is necessary.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Her car was ticketed in the park (I have seen both Indian Cove and Jumbo Rocks campgrounds listed) but was then moved and ultimately located near Twentynine Palms but outside of JTNP, correct? If that is accurate, JoSAR probably isn't conducting a search. I have a close friend on JoSAR and I will reach out to her to see if she knows anything. She's searched for lots of people in JTNP, including Miller and the young couple who passed from murder-suicide. I'd like to be a JoSAR volunteer but I unfortunately don't have the time to commit that is necessary.

I’m not aware of a ticket. I believe the car was spotted inside the park. Not at Indian Cove. And later found just off hwy.62 in 29 palms.

To me it is most likely she was never in JT. Her car was dumped there, then found by thieves who left it in 29 palms. Car thieves patrol the camp ground for unattended vehicles. The lack of SAR makes me think LE does not believe she was there. MOO.

To me it is most likely she was never in JT. Her car was dumped there, then found by thieves who left it in 29 palms. Car thieves patrol the camp ground for unattended vehicles. The lack of SAR makes me think LE does not believe she was there. MOO.
Not necessarily....IIRC from the Paul Miller case, JTNP has their own jurisdiction, and I remember being quite annoyed at how slowly they seemed to react and respond. Not sure.

Amateur opinion and speculation

When I googled the location of where EL's car was eventually dropped off at CA-62 & Shelton Rd....
Google maps provides a screen shot of the location...

I see a couple of mailboxes just off the shoulder of the road...
I imagine LE checked out the residences of the people to which these mailboxes belong to...
At least I hope they have...

Note: these mailboxes are at the side of the main road... But the homes/businesses(?) sit off dirt roads further into the desert...
The residences/buildings are not seen in the screenshot...

JMO...

Not necessarily....IIRC from the Paul Miller case, JTNP has their own jurisdiction, and I remember being quite annoyed at how slowly they seemed to react and respond. Not sure.

I honestly remember that as the other way around - SAR and rangers looked in the park and used dogs immediately in Paul's case. It was the local sheriff and LE who didn't do much investigation due to no proof that he was outside the park (in requests to check for foul play).

I honestly remember that as the other way around - SAR and rangers looked in the park and used dogs immediately in Paul's case. It was the local sheriff and LE who didn't do much investigation due to no proof that he was outside the park (in requests to check for foul play).
You could very well be right on that Zecats.
It does seem, however, that JTNP has some impediments when it comes to tracking down missing people. Given the harshness of the environment, you'd think they'd have a SWAT plan ready to roll?!

Not sure if this has been posted and it's a week old, but does mention foul play suspected. Also discusses some early searching:

Northern California Woman Missing In Morongo Valley | SBCSentinel

Foul play is feared in the disappearance of Erika Lloyd, who sojourned from her Bay Area home in Walnut Creek on June 11 or thereabouts to San Bernardino County’s Desert Outback, where she has since vanished.

What is known is that Park rangers came across Lloyd’s vandalized 2006 Black Honda Accord on Monday, June 15 at Indian Cove campground near Jumbo Rocks in Joshua Tree National Park.
There was no camping equipment in the car or in its immediate vicinity when the rangers observed the vehicle.
The back window and windshield had been broken, and the dashboard damaged. The rangers noted the vehicle’s presence in a report, and left a note on the car. That evening, the car had been removed.

The next day, Tuesday June 16, a California Highway Patrolman spotted the car on Shelton Road, east of Twentynine Palms. The car was facing the highway. The CHP had it towed away.

At that point, Lloyd had not been reported missing.

On Wednesday, June 17, her family reported her missing, giving indication she might be in the area of Joshua Tree National Park. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department dispatched a helicopter to scour the area. That effort was not fruitful.

The Morongo Basin Sheriff’s Station was put on a special alert to be on the lookout for any sightings of her throughout the entirety of the more than 3,000 square mile desert area that includes Joshua Tree, Joshua Tree National Park, Twenynine Palms, Yucca Valley and their outlying areas.

Park Rangers began searching areas within the park. Sheriff’s deputies, including ones with canines, searched areas at the entrance of the park and its periphery, as well as along Highway 62.
The Joshua Tree Search and Rescue Team engaged in an effort to find her or spot any signs that she was in the area.

Thanks for the post Zecats, this is more information than I had. This certainly isn't sounding good at all. Where is the father of her child in all this? What was their status; amicable or contentious?

Let me see if I have the little known accurate; please correct if wrong.

1. EL had indicated to (friend?/s) that she was "stressed out" and going camping to destress.
2. EL had never been to JTNP but indicated that was where she was going?
3. Do we know if she had any camping gear; even a sleeping bag?
4. Did EL have her 14 year old car checked before she took this long trip?
5. Did EL drop her son off with the bio father, or does he already live with the father?
6. Do we have any info as to why EL was "stressed" other than the obvious pandemic concerns?
7. Did EL withdraw a large amount of cash prior to her disappearnace?
8. Did EL have any known psychological problems?

Very strange case.
It's not completely out of the question that EL wanted to go to JTNP to "center herself". JTNP seems to have a similar allure as Sedona, AZ. A place with special "vibes".
*However*, her departure seemed rushed, and she was seemingly unprepared?

I have two working theories, and as I said upthread, this is one of the few cases where I don't have a solid speculation. I'm still baffled. Here are the two most likely scenarios I'm pondering ATM:

1. EL had a break from reality and drove to this mystical destination. EL was unprepared for the harsh climate, became disoriented or lost in JTNP (or surrounding area) and perished. Another version of this speculation would be that EL self harmed.
2. EL was summoned to this area. She was involved in some side business that went awry, and she owed someone money. EL was unable to satisfy whatever demand was placed upon her, and she was harmed.

I think speculation #1 makes the most sense. However, not knowing much about EL's lifestyle and choices, it's hard to guess. While still not impossible that she could pop up somewhere, it's highly unlikely at this point. LE communicated foul play is suspected early on, so perhaps they found evidence of blood, etc. in the car.

This is all just amateur opinion and speculation. I hope that EL's family gets some answers soon. Strange case. IWT her phone records/online presence would offer some good leads.

Not sure if this has been posted and it's a week old, but does mention foul play suspected. Also discusses some early searching:

Foul play is feared in the disappearance of Erika Lloyd, who sojourned from her Bay Area home in Walnut Creek on June 11 or thereabouts to San Bernardino County’s Desert Outback, where she has since vanished.

What is known is that Park rangers came across Lloyd’s vandalized 2006 Black Honda Accord on Monday, June 15 at Indian Cove campground near Jumbo Rocks in Joshua Tree National Park.
There was no camping equipment in the car or in its immediate vicinity when the rangers observed the vehicle.
The back window and windshield had been broken, and the dashboard damaged. The rangers noted the vehicle’s presence in a report, and left a note on the car. That evening, the car had been removed.

The next day, Tuesday June 16, a California Highway Patrolman spotted the car on Shelton Road, east of Twentynine Palms. The car was facing the highway. The CHP had it towed away.

On Wednesday, June 17, her family reported her missing, giving indication she might be in the area of Joshua Tree National Park. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department dispatched a helicopter to scour the area. That effort was not fruitful.

The Morongo Basin Sheriff’s Station was put on a special alert to be on the lookout for any sightings of her throughout the entirety of the more than 3,000 square mile desert area that includes Joshua Tree, Joshua Tree National Park, Twenynine Palms, Yucca Valley and their outlying areas.

Park Rangers began searching areas within the park. Sheriff’s deputies, including ones with canines, searched areas at the entrance of the park and its periphery, as well as along Highway 62.
The Joshua Tree Search and Rescue Team engaged in an effort to find her or spot any signs that she was in the area.
Many articles are misleading in this case. This is more information than i was aware of. I still want to know about the husband or ex.

Many articles are misleading in this case. This is more information than i was aware of. I still want to know about the husband or ex.
Yes.....
Of course the spouse/ex is always the first place we look. He may be perfectly innocent with a well documented alibi. It would be good to know that.

Another option is that somewhere between home and Joshua Tree, Erika was parted from both her phone and her car. This is obviously a very grim option.

But initially, we heard she was going to Big Sur (very different to Joshua Tree) and on her SM, she seems to have been excited about the near-term reopening of her salon.

This is a really sad one and the person who left her car near JT is long gone - I hope there is forensic evidence in the car and it matches something in the database.

So according to this, it sounds like her family knew JTNP was a possible destination for her. That makes the situation seem a little bit less nefarious, but what happened once she arrived there? Initially reports were saying she was supposed to be in Big Sur, so JTNP seemed like quite a stretch, being 7 hours away.

I’ve been reading through the various theories and others speculations and decided to add my speculation to the list. From what I’ve read it’s unsure if she had any outdoor camping equipment or if she were camping in her car. I have at times stayed in my vehicle overnight at places when I traveled. What if she were in the car when the damage occurred? Possibly she pulled over at the site, perhaps to stay or maybe just passing through, and camped that night in her vehicle and someone came through the lot looking for vehicles or items to steal and didn’t realize she was asleep in the car. Maybe there were other parked cars there that night but the people were camping somewhere away from their cars. Maybe she witnessed something? A break in, a possible car theft, drug deal, murder or who knows what and the perpetrators saw her and tried to get her out of the vehicle by breaking the windows. If she were sleeping in another part of the car it would make it difficult to get to the drivers seat to drive away especially with someone breaking the glass in front and behind while trying to get at you. Then after the perpetrators removed her from the vehicle, did whatever and disposed of her remains (this would have taken time I’m sure) they came back and dumped the vehicle in some random place. Maybe seeing the note on the vehicle spooked them into moving it whereas they otherwise might have left it.

This is of course only speculation as I’ve said. It is one of the things I have worried about before when I stopped and had to sleep when driving long distances. Hopefully I am completely wrong and she is somewhere just taking time out. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back