Found Deceased CA - Erin Valenti, 33, from Utah, en-route from Palo Alto to San Jose, 7 Oct 2019 #2

To be honest, thyroid related illnesses aren't taken seriously enough. From my experience anyway! I've graves disease myself and when I was diagnosed I had myself driven mad with anxiety over having a thyroid storm. Unfortunately anxiety is a major symptom, meds help but never goes away completely. That's why back in October I suggested maybe this is what happened to EV, as I'd been doing so much research on them. I'm so sad this happened to her, must have been a very scary time for her. (edited as posted early by mistake!)

Hi all, just catching up on the cause of death/autopsy report. I saw the blurb in the Business Insider and was trying to figure out how to bring it over but should've known you all would be on top of it.

It sounds like probably a heart attack, if mania, thyroid, and the anxiety of being lost, missing a flight, etc. were all compound factors. It's a tragic outcome for sure, but at least her family can take some comfort in the fact that no one took Erin's beautiful life away from her.

It's not anything I was familiar with, though many of you and myself definitely recognized that she was very likely having a severe manic episode, but I did not know that it could lead to death.

Rest in peace, Erin.

I contacted one of the media entities who had reported on EV, asking when would a cause of death be known. I received the following reply yesterday: " Hi there. Thanks for reaching out to us! Our reporter called the medical examiner's office yesterday and those details [i.e. cause of death] aren't finalized yet. They said it may take up to 2 months before all the tests are conducted. We are continuing to keep an eye and ear on this story though. We will post an update when we have one. "

Thanks for checking on this! I’m glad to hear they will report when they find out!

Not sure which reporter @Trebor5591 contacted previously but would be grateful for follow-up and/or read more about autopsy findings from local MSM.

(I recently contacted KPIX/5 reporter that tweeted on EV missing but did not receive a response). TIA

Gosh, it really does seem like she really could have experienced a thyrotoxic storm. I know that when patients are admitted to the psychiatric hospital the thyroid is always checked to see if it's a factor. Depression when it's hypoactive and mania when it's hyperactive. I've never seen a storm, though. I guess that's because those guys end up in ICU.

This makes so much sense in light of the cause of death that was released (or ambiguity related to COD). Here's a relatively simple rundown on the thyrotoxic storm if anyone wants to check it out. Scroll down to Clinical Features (Classic Triad and Complications). It's almost certainly fatal if not treated immediately. Poor Erin- she must have been terrified. If only she had somehow gotten to a hospital.

Thyroid storm - WikEM

Not sure which reporter @Trebor5591 contacted previously but would be grateful for follow-up and/or read more about autopsy findings from local MSM.

(I recently contacted KPIX/5 reporter that tweeted on EV missing but did not receive a response). TIA

The reporter I messaged was on a Reddit board, but I can not find it anymore, since I have unfortunately been banned from Reddit.

Gosh, it really does seem like she really could have experienced a thyrotoxic storm. I know that when patients are admitted to the psychiatric hospital the thyroid is always checked to see if it's a factor. Depression when it's hypoactive and mania when it's hyperactive. I've never seen a storm, though. I guess that's because those guys end up in ICU.

This makes so much sense in light of the cause of death that was released (or ambiguity related to COD). Here's a relatively simple rundown on the thyrotoxic storm if anyone wants to check it out. Scroll down to Clinical Features (Classic Triad and Complications). It's almost certainly fatal if not treated immediately. Poor Erin- she must have been terrified. If only she had somehow gotten to a hospital.

Thyroid storm - WikEM

This case has been an education. I had no idea that this severe a set of symptoms could result from un- or undertreated hyperthyroid. It often seems that practically everyone I know of my age has hypothyroid, and we often complain of the constant related fatigue. I suppose it's better than the alternative. :(

I wonder if Erin was being treated for hyperthyroid, and if so was her family aware and is that why they were so frantic about her confusion and then her disappearance. It seems like something police/first responders should have knowledge of as a true medical emergency, along with diabetes and other metabolic crises, so that when a subject is reported to be confused and behaving in an erratic manner that is unprecedented for them, they don't first go down the path of illicit substance intoxication anyway. (I'm not trying to read local LE's minds in this matter, but it's where the thoughts of posters on this thread turned as well ... how wrong we were.)

Rest in peace, Erin. The world is going to miss your vibrant spirit and the contributions you could have made to high tech and the AI field.

edited for coherence :oops:

Last edited:
This case has been an education. I had no idea that this severe a set of symptoms could result from un- or undertreated hyperthyroid. It often seems that practically everyone I know of my age has hypothyroid, and we often complain of the constant related fatigue. I suppose it's better than the alternative. :(

I wonder if Erin was being treated for hyperthyroid, and if so was her family aware and is that why they were so frantic about her confusion and then her disappearance. It seems like something police/first responders should have knowledge of as a true medical emergency, along with diabetes and other metabolic crises, so that when a subject is reported to be confused and behaving in an erratic manner that is unprecedented for them, they don't first go down the path of illicit substance intoxication anyway. (I'm not trying to read local LE's minds in this matter, but it's where the thoughts of posters on this thread turned as well ... how wrong we were.)

Rest in peace, Erin. The world is going to miss your vibrant spirit and the contributions you could have made to high tech and the AI field.

edited for coherence :oops:
I agree- it seems like LE would have seen it as a medical situation. But we don’t really know what all her family said on the phone or what specifically they may have known.

However, to answer your question about whether she was being treated for her thyroid, the article kitty posted with the initial COD update does say she was being treated.

“Valenti had a previous diagnosis for a thyroid condition that was treated with medication. The autopsy report noted that her condition could have contributed to her death, however, blood samples were not satisfactory for an analysis.”

A 33-year-old tech founder went to Silicon Valley on business and was found dead in her car a week later. Her cause of death was just identified as 'natural causes' following 'an acute manic episode.'

I just want to recognize @Vail, for first mentioning the thyroid as a possible factor in thread #1, and @GoldySam for nailing it on the head two days later (Oct. 16th).

Found Deceased - CA - Erin Valenti, 33, from Utah, en-route from Palo Alto to San Jose, 7 Oct 2019

Found Deceased - CA - Erin Valenti, 33, from Utah, en-route from Palo Alto to San Jose, 7 Oct 2019

GoldySam said:
Just a thought, is there any possibility it could be an undiagnosed thyroid condition that lead to EV having a thyroid storm? I'm hyperthyroid myself and it's crossed my mind while reading through this thread. MOO

I just want to recognize @Vail, for first mentioning the thyroid as a possible factor in thread #1, and @GoldySam for nailing it on the head two days later (Oct. 16th).

Thanks for bringing forward @GoldySam's post as I'd never even heard the term "thyroid storm" before.

Erin was a close friend since we were about 9. This has been a very bizarre collision of worlds having this happen and being someone that follows mysterious stories like this and searches for answers. She truly was one of a kind, but it is in a way comforting to have some idea of what happened.

To be honest, thyroid related illnesses aren't taken seriously enough. From my experience anyway! I've graves disease myself and when I was diagnosed I had myself driven mad with anxiety over having a thyroid storm. Unfortunately anxiety is a major symptom, meds help but never goes away completely. That's why back in October I suggested maybe this is what happened to EV, as I'd been doing so much research on them. I'm so sad this happened to her, must have been a very scary time for her. (edited as posted early by mistake!)

Erin was a close friend since we were about 9. This has been a very bizarre collision of worlds having this happen and being someone that follows mysterious stories like this and searches for answers. She truly was one of a kind, but it is in a way comforting to have some idea of what happened.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry you've lost a good friend, but I'm glad you found this website. It can be a good place to discuss such mysteries, look for answers, and honor the deceased in the company of others who also want such answers. Welcome.

This is a sad story and I hope the family and friends are getting along ok. It is hard to comprehend the rental car could not have been tracked or someone wasn't able to help her out before it was too late.

Paul R Said Carbon Monoxide <-- Exhaust guy here Nissan Murano's come in often for exhaust leaks at the flex pipe. Rental cars are the worst.

We preach about how a exhaust leak can cause chronic behavioral problems and can destroy families/lives with no one the wiser.
40945_COM_1__ra_p.jpg

Also when testing for gas the cabin the car MUST be moving as air flow can force the carbon monoxide up into the cabin

Also the California emissions compliant catalytic converters can be new in tech. any one know if forensics have caught up.

The part above should be the one on her car.

With much respect to all friends and family, I stumbled on this site to find the cause of Erin's death as the news had caught my interest. As I drove down Almaden a few days ago this tragedy was refreshed in my memory- I don't head that way too often. I actually passed Coleman while on Almaden and it occurred to me that the airport is also off of a Coleman in another part of the city entirely, but also not too far off Hwy 87 . I have to wonder if in needing to stop for gas (there are stations on Coleman off 87 right before the airport) before turning in the rental car her GPS sent her to the wrong Coleman in traffic and then realizing she was now going to miss her flight . I scrolled through many comments to see anyone if else connected this option of the 2 Colemans and it just kind of gave me chills as I passed this intersection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back