Found Deceased CA - Erin Valenti, 33, from Utah, en-route from Palo Alto to San Jose, 7 Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by MJPeony, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

:)
    And, good morning to you.

I summarized some of her husband's comments below which you may or may not find helpful. MOO

Help Find Erin Valenti

Help Find Erin Valenti

There is no saved location information on google. Her husband said they are working on getting into Apple, but it’s been a struggle. They have her username and password, but no trusted device and have worked with support to begin the recovery process.

EV was talking to her husband, her mom, and a friend on phone all afternoon/evening. Her husband said it was textbook mania. Very out of character and no mental health history, no substance history, no arrests or hospitalizations, etc.

They started a welfare check Monday night and that is where a lot of the gps tracking is from. Her case was upgraded to a missing person on Tuesday.

They have people calling a list of hospitals regularly to ask for her and any Jane doe’s that match her description.

She did not have a fitness tracker and they are working on getting into iCloud for any data that might be there.

His opinion is that if the vehicle was on a main street it would be picked up by now and they need to search remote areas nearby and continue in surrounding residential areas. He says the car was low on gas and is probably not too far from where her phone last pinged.

On Monday she had late checkout (2pm) from the Nest Hotel in Palo Alto.

The rental car agency was Hertz.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019

2. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

My thoughts as someone in tech:
    - Georgetown is good. No MBA though, that is unusual.
    - Summit Partners is well known in the VC world.
    - Experience at actual tech companies developing products, not so good. Obligatory first startup, Skycrane, which doesn't appear to be around anymore but that is not unusual. Overstock is kind of a joke. There are lots of companies that do what Tinker does.

Everyone should read LinkedIn profiles as resumes, meaning you should expect puffery.

Dylgem22, LadyL, LaborDayRN and 14 others like this.
  3. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I went through her husbands last postings on the Official HFEV page (posts upthread) and it appears EV was last "seen" in Palo Alto, CA Monday afternoon.

She allegedly left Palo Alto (PA) about 3:30p for 6:30p flight to SLC. She was allegedly driving near airport --according to her phone data (per husband) but I've not seen the time this occurred reported.

Distance PA to SJC airport is only about 14 miles.

Residents with knowledge of the area cite that her phone was not last pinging near vicinity of airport (or route to airport via PA) but near a neighborhood shopping mall.

Husband reports her phone last pinged around midnight, and phone died -- he thinks phone battery was naturally powering down and EV did not turn off the phone.

Although husband cites talking to EV on Monday night, it's not clear who she talked to last as she was also said to talk with her mother and friends -- all reporting she seemed "manic." Husband states EV appeared "texbook manic."

4. PaulR

OK. Having just rented a car from Hertz - you can get built-in navigation, but it's optional and you have to pay extra. I just used my phone to navigate. At least on the model of Nissan I rented.

Sounds like she had an iPhone. Presumably she set it up with their version of 2FA meaning someone would have to have the phone in their possession in order to log into the iCloud account. If she's unable/unwilling/etc. to do that, then login will fail, meaning they have to escalate to Apple. Apple is strong on privacy, and access to the iCloud account means access to a lot of things - phone activity, emails if she used her icloud account, etc. There's a lot of focus on privacy nowadays with various laws like GDPR and the California equivalent and companies have to tread carefully, yes, even in missing persons cases. Something like this probably requires escalation. After all, this could be voluntary, we still don't know yet.

All fitness trackers can do (I think I mentioned this in the Mollie Tibbetts case) is force the phone to use the GPS functionality and push that location to their servers. They generally do not do this if you are driving since they can detect that by the time of movement.

5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Bumping husbands post at around 1 AM --10/12/19 pm PST

6. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

Been following this case and it is indeed very concerning. Although at first I suspected foul play immediately, but the new timeline of her being on the phone with husband and family AFTER she was supposed to be at the airport and catch her flight makes me hesitate on coming to that immediate conclusion. I still believe it's possible, but if what her family said about her state of mind is true, an accident, ran out of gas and started walking, and endangered missing are all possibilities too. And of course, in her confused state of mind could have also met with foul play.

I too find it hard to believe that the car doesn't have a GPS tracker - it was a new car, and any reputable large car rental agency would surely have a mechanism by which to retrieve it...right? That information on where the car is should have been known almost immediately.

And while I'm here...too many LE agencies in this day in age go to "Voluntary Missing" as the default position. Look, maybe that playbook worked and made sense in the 1960's, when people were tethered to home, landlines, use of cash, etc. But nowadays? The majority of people leave behind a trial of electronic data that is astonishing. When that trail abruptly stops, endangered missing should be the starting point at a minimum.

ETA: To quote @PaulR: "OK. Having just rented a car from Hertz - you can get built-in navigation, but it's optional and you have to pay extra. I just used my phone to navigate. At least on the model of Nissan I rented."

I think many of us are thinking of a tracker that the agency places under the car, in case of theft, not the optional GPS that a renter purchases.

7. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

Here is what her husband had to say about some tech related issues from the Help Find Erin Valenti FB Page:

Harrison Weinstein Nushie Khanoom no fitness trackers and no info saved on google. Working on getting into iCloud for any data that might be there. We do think that the car was low on gas so probably not too far from where last pinged. If on main streets it would be picked up by now. Need to search remote areas nearby and continue in surrounding residential areas

AnnaGrace, LaborDayRN, otto and 2 others like this.
  8. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

OCT 11, 2019
    Utah CEO reported missing in San Jose, family speaks out
    [...]

She told me she was driving around because the GPS wasn’t working,” AV, Erin’s mother said.

Her mom was the last one to speak to her on the phone.

“There’s no phone activity and my daughter was very techy and always on the phone,” AV said. “And no credit card activity so we don’t know what’s happened and we can’t find her or the car.”

[...]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    sassyblue, LadyL, AnnaGrace and 14 others like this.
  9. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

She likely rented the car rather than Uber because she needed/wanted to go to Monterey last week (about 1 1/2 hour drive from SJ airport), and then go to Palo Alto for the weekend (about 1 hr. 40 minutes from Monterey) - drive times approximate and highly dependent upon traffic.

Admittedly, I am biased because of my familiarity with the area, but I cannot imagine her missing the exits to the airport. MOO

10. PaulR

It seems really unlikely to me that the GPS wasn't working in a very literal sense.

Maybe the GPS told her that she was in a different location than she expected herself to be, and she trusted herself over the GPS.

11. afitzy

afitzy Well-Known Member

12. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

This is new. I could be very wrong about her not being able to find the airport. I hope they've checked Good Samaritan and Santa Teresa hospitals - maybe even Valley Medical Center.

I will search for her tomorrow morning if she is not found - have commitments today.

13. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

She could definitely be bipolar and it could have gone undiagnosed until now (type I). That would explain all her many success and interests. Bipolars are really common in the start-up field and can be really successful.

I agree she should be endangered missing.

Sounds like she might have her Google data turned off.

If she's manic, she could easily miss the airport turnoff (especially if she took the 280). If she asked directions at her hotel (I hope someone is interviewing hotel staff), they would likely have told her to take Page Mill Road up to the 280 (faster, less traffic). Unfortunately, the various interchanges once in San Jose are a bit confusing to a newcomer.

I also hope that LE or family ask the mall near where she apparently pinged for security footage. Needle in a haystack kind of thing, though.

If she ran out of gas in south San Jose, what would she do? If she was "textbook manic" then it's harder to predict. I can picture it, though.

Family should probably start calling every individual police precinct at increasing distance from where she last pinged (and also sending pictures and flyers to each individual precinct, including resource officers in malls and schools).

14. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

The fact her husband is a therapist per OP, and that he used the word “manic” is concerning.

Amateur opinion and speculation

15. MJPeony

MJPeony Well-Known Member

BBM

I’ve tended to agree. Highway 101 is generally the most logical route from Palo Alto to San Jose airport, and I do not see how she’d have gotten lost. But now that we know she left from The Nest hotel, it’s very possible she took 280. And 280 is much more remote and does not have freeway signs to that airport.

For what it’s worth, from The Nest to the airport my map is routing me to 101 and then down to the airport (it’s the way I’d have gone myself), but the hotel was closer to 280 than I’d assumed.

To note, if she left at 3:30 on a Monday she would hit had significant rush hour traffic!

MOO.

16. Knox

Knox #justiceforMoni ~

Ok, so now we have details to work with. But what I most want to know is who she was last with, and what did they observe her behavior to be like?

This is beginning to sound a bit like Karlie Guse. Is there a possibility that Erin consumed some type of drug?

17. Jo in Calif

Jo in Calif Well-Known Member

As long as it doesn't start to sound like Sherri Papini.

18. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Without immediate evidence of foul play at the time a person is reported missing to police, all missing ADULTS begins with "voluntarily missing." This classification is not unique to EV, and key word here is ADULT.

It's a process LE are currently going through (behind the public scenes) prior to missing subject upgraded to "involuntary missing."

SJ Police Sgt E Garcia's last public statement provided they are in preliminary investigation phase -- and they will not release any information at this time.

I'm confident that LE are processing and confirming information they've been given from the family. Confirming their information will include subpoenaing EV's phone and SM data to confirm in fact who EV last had contact with. Husband is assuming it was him but LE would not be doing their job if they didn't confirm this.

MOO

19. Knox

Knox #justiceforMoni ~

Thank you for delving into things I know nothing about, and giving us a clearer picture of her professional life. That doesn't lower my concern for Erin, but helps put the circumstances of her missing in perspective.

Pattyhamilton, Suglo, azure and 7 others like this.
  20. Knox

Knox #justiceforMoni ~

Help Find Erin Valenti
    1 hr ·
    I would like to emphasize how out of character this would be for Erin. While she is adventurous, she is not foolhardy and would never intentionally be out of contact with her family. As a psychologist, I am especially concerned about her last calls which were confusing and disjointed. It is completely possible to have a sudden onset of symptoms like this for a variety of mental health and physical reasons (even if there have not been previous symptoms). Erin should be considered a vulnerable person at severe risk and the police should be involved, although they have continued to treat her as a voluntary missing person. If anyone has any influence with the San Jose of California police, I urge you to make this point.

Harrison is also a psychologist and Erin's mother is a nurse. It is difficult for me to understand why the police are not giving greater credence to people who have experience with people in psychiatric and medical crises and who absolutely believe that Erin's last calls indicate that she was at peril.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.