GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Oblio, Jul 14, 2016.

1. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about Kiya's brother... his previous testimony... it makes me so sad. I hope the judge finally presiding over this case considers all the "help me cover my criminal acts" requests Marci asked of him.

I also hope it won't take 2 more years for justice for the families :(

mom2four717, MsMarple, Krisy and 4 others like this.
  2. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

3. Lilibet

fred&edna, Laughing, byo and 4 others like this.
  4. Lilibet

This is a very comprehensive article about the “change of venue” issue. A Hastings law professor weighs in:

“There are a number of reasons judges are reluctant to grant change of venue motions, according to Levine. First, there's the ideal that defendants are to be judged by a jury of their peers, and there's no better peer group than the local community. Second, he said, holding a trial in a different county can deprive local community members — including friends and family of the accused and the victims — of the chance to attend, while also burdening another county's jurors with hearing an out-of-area case. Finally, moving a trial is an expensive, cumbersome proposition that will undoubtedly burden both the local court and the court the trial is moved to.”

He points out that the judge and attorneys move too, which is quite expensive since the trial is scheduled to last 6 weeks. He believes it would be moved to another rural county, but they don’t have a lot of space to accommodate such a long trial. The judge could also decide to try to empanel a jury locally with the option of moving if it doesn’t work out.

We will know by the end of August. The hearing is Aug 27.

'Fair and Impartial'

fred&edna, Laughing, Knox and 4 others like this.
  5. Lilibet

fred&edna, Laughing, Knox and 3 others like this.
  6. Lilibet

Alcina, fred&edna, Laughing and 4 others like this.
  7. Lilibet

fred&edna, Laughing, byo and 3 others like this.
  8. Lilibet

Just some praise for John Chiv. Humboldt County residents are very fortunate to have John diligently attending and reporting on court cases in detail before a trial starts. Personally, I find all the “nuts and bolts” stuff John reports to be fascinating.

I have never seen this kind of reporting anywhere else, certainly not from MSM. John started going to court when Gary Lee Bullock was arraigned for the murder of John’s beloved pastor at St. Bernard’s Catholic Church in Eureka. He branched out into other cases during the two years it took for Bullock’s trial to start and since. John’s loss of his dear friend has certainly been our gain in both the Bullock and Kitchen cases.

Alcina, mjp1228, redsky and 8 others like this.
  9. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

You know, if I was that woman, I would beg them to jail me forever, so that I wouldn't have to face the world after what I did.

10. Lilibet

I absolutely agree. I’d want to die. Thankfully, we aren’t that woman. We have hearts and consciences and love our children. She is an empty shell of nothingness.

11. Lilibet

At the intervention hearing tomorrow, the judge said they will discuss settling the case. Noooooooooo!!!! Not a wimpy plea bargain like Derek Alemena got for the Oakland fire killing 36 people. Please, NO!

As one of the commenters on LoCO pointed out, a guilty plea would save her poor son from having to testify against her. I’m all for that....IF her punishment is a serious prison sentence.

Kitchen Trial Attorneys Submit Questions for Potential Jurors Even as Change of Venue Hearing Looms

CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #3 *Arrests*

fred&edna, Laughing, MsMarple and 4 others like this.
  12. Lilibet

Whew! All that happened on Friday August 10 was that another intervention hearing was set for Monday August 13.

Words Worth: Another intervention hearing on Monday for Marci Kitchen

At the intervention hearing today, August 13, nothing changed. All dates remain as scheduled:

A review hearing and questionnaire conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. on August 17.

A motion hearing for change of venue is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on August 27.

Jury trial is scheduled for September 4.

Words Worth: "We are not going back on record, dates remain as set."

fred&edna, Laughing, MsMarple and 3 others like this.
  13. Lilibet

A few random posts from John Chiv in order of oldest to newest:

When Marci was hiding out between July and Sept 2016 she was seen leaving a houseboat with a younger and older man.
    Words Worth: Remember when Marci Kitchen was in hiding in 2016?

Chiv wonders if today’s review hearing will result in a plea deal.
    Words Worth: If you thought a plea in the Marci Kitchen would not happen, think again

A review of the charges and possible penalties.
    Words Worth: This is what Marci Kitchen is charged with and information on penalties

Knox, fred&edna, MsMarple and 3 others like this.
  14. Lilibet

NEWSFLASH: Marci Kitchen is scheduled to plead guilty to all charges this afternoon at 3:00 pm according to her ex-husband Joe Kitchen!!! He and his son wanted a trial.

Read this and weep: :(

“It’s about those two innocent girls,” Joe Kitchen said. “Marci is going to enter a plea of guilty…That ain’t right…She should be held accountable for murder…There should be no deal.”

He added, “The only reason she is admitting guilt is for her own sake. It’s not because she feels guilty.”

Kitchen is concerned about his 19-year-old son, Jevin. “My son is freaking out,” he explained. “We are supposed to be moving him down this weekend to Sacramento [to go to college]…He wants to stand up on that stand and let everyone know [what happened].”

His voiced cracked. “When you’ve got a 6’4″ son crawling in your arms,” he said and he trailed off with “all the pain and all the anger… .”

He [Jevin, her son] said he was “baffled” by his mother’s guilty plea. “She’s taking the easy way [so she can get a] reduced sentence.”

Jevin said he needed a chance to tell what had happened and, with a guilty plea, he was worried that his opportunity to speak out might not occur. “She’s not even getting a trial,” he said. “That’s not right…The truth needs to come out.”

He said before Faith and Kiya were killed, “In my eyes, my mom was a good mom. She would do anything for us. Then this happened. It seems like she only cares about herself.”

Jevin said that he will find a way to tell his story. “Regardless of what happens, I am going to make sure everybody knows what happened that night through my eyes…She’s gotten away with too much.”

If the sentencing occurs on September 18 as is planned, Jevin said, “I’m going to have to leave college and sit on the stand to say my testimony. But, I’m kind of used to stuff like this now.”

Marci Kitchen Expected to Make a Plea Deal by Monday Afternoon, Says Father of Kiya Kitchen

Alcina, byo, flute4peace and 8 others like this.
  15. Lilibet

byo, fred&edna, Legally Bland and 3 others like this.
  16. Lilibet

17. Lilibet

Later report from LoCO. Kiya’s father said he didn’t want to comment until Monday. I wonder if his comments to Kym Kemp (posted above) caused problems. Quoting LoCO:

Kitchen is scheduled to enter her formal plea at 3:30 Monday afternoon, and the courtroom is expected to be packed — so much so that today Cockrum outlined a seating plan, giving priority to family and supporters of the victims. Kitchen will be allowed to bring six supporters.

“There will be no standing,” he said, “because that’s a security issue.”

KITCHEN GUILTY PLEA: 'The People Have Offered Nothing,' Says Prosecutor

18. burblestein

burblestein Well-Known Member

The time I was on a jury that convicted a killer of voluntary manslaughter of a single individual, he got 13 years. She's up for two deaths. So...here's hoping.

19. Lilibet

That’s encouraging. But I’ll be happily shocked if she gets much time. I guess I’ve gotten cynical about hit-and-run cases in Humboldt. I really hope Cockrum throws the book at her so that it sticks and she doesn’t get out in 2 years for good behavior or something. :mad:

20. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

For the sake of my sanity I try and remain stoic when following cases but this from Marci's son... it broke my heart.

I can't imagine the heartache he's going through from the realization that his mom is not what he had always believed plus knowing she used him in an attempt to get herself off of charges. That poor child!

Good on him though for having the insight to see through his mother's agenda - it's not easy to let go of long held beliefs, especially about a relative - we see that here on a daily basis. I'd say he has a good head on his shoulders and his moral compass is working fine.
    Thanks Lilibet for keeping this case current!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    byo, coastal, MerBeach and 4 others like this.