Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

Ca - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

Discussion in 'Humboldt County' started by Oblio, Jul 14, 2016.

1. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about Kiya's brother... his previous testimony... it makes me so sad. I hope the judge finally presiding over this case considers all the "help me cover my criminal acts" requests Marci asked of him.

I also hope it won't take 2 more years for justice for the families :(

MsMarple, Krisy, GarAndTeed and 3 others like this.
  2. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

3. Lilibet

4. Lilibet

This is a very comprehensive article about the “change of venue” issue. A Hastings law professor weighs in:

“There are a number of reasons judges are reluctant to grant change of venue motions, according to Levine. First, there's the ideal that defendants are to be judged by a jury of their peers, and there's no better peer group than the local community. Second, he said, holding a trial in a different county can deprive local community members — including friends and family of the accused and the victims — of the chance to attend, while also burdening another county's jurors with hearing an out-of-area case. Finally, moving a trial is an expensive, cumbersome proposition that will undoubtedly burden both the local court and the court the trial is moved to.”

He points out that the judge and attorneys move too, which is quite expensive since the trial is scheduled to last 6 weeks. He believes it would be moved to another rural county, but they don’t have a lot of space to accommodate such a long trial. The judge could also decide to try to empanel a jury locally with the option of moving if it doesn’t work out.

We will know by the end of August. The hearing is Aug 27.

'Fair and Impartial'

5. Lilibet

6. Lilibet

7. Lilibet

Knox, MsMarple and GarAndTeed like this.
  8. Lilibet

Just some praise for John Chiv. Humboldt County residents are very fortunate to have John diligently attending and reporting on court cases in detail before a trial starts. Personally, I find all the “nuts and bolts” stuff John reports to be fascinating.

I have never seen this kind of reporting anywhere else, certainly not from MSM. John started going to court when Gary Lee Bullock was arraigned for the murder of John’s beloved pastor at St. Bernard’s Catholic Church in Eureka. He branched out into other cases during the two years it took for Bullock’s trial to start and since. John’s loss of his dear friend has certainly been our gain in both the Bullock and Kitchen cases.

PowMom01, Knox, Legally Bland and 3 others like this.
  9. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Well-Known Member

You know, if I was that woman, I would beg them to jail me forever, so that I wouldn't have to face the world after what I did.

PowMom01, Knox, SugarQueen and 4 others like this.
  10. Lilibet

I absolutely agree. I’d want to die. Thankfully, we aren’t that woman. We have hearts and consciences and love our children. She is an empty shell of nothingness.

Knox, SugarQueen, MsMarple and 3 others like this.
  11. Lilibet

At the intervention hearing tomorrow, the judge said they will discuss settling the case. Noooooooooo!!!! Not a wimpy plea bargain like Derek Alemena got for the Oakland fire killing 36 people. Please, NO!

As one of the commenters on LoCO pointed out, a guilty plea would save her poor son from having to testify against her. I’m all for that....IF her punishment is a serious prison sentence.

Kitchen Trial Attorneys Submit Questions for Potential Jurors Even as Change of Venue Hearing Looms

CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #3 *Arrests*

MsMarple, AzPistonsGirl, Knox and 2 others like this.
  12. Lilibet

Whew! All that happened on Friday August 10 was that another intervention hearing was set for Monday August 13.

Words Worth: Another intervention hearing on Monday for Marci Kitchen

At the intervention hearing today, August 13, nothing changed. All dates remain as scheduled:

A review hearing and questionnaire conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. on August 17.

A motion hearing for change of venue is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on August 27.

Jury trial is scheduled for September 4.

Words Worth: "We are not going back on record, dates remain as set."