CA - Fed-Ex truck slams head-on into bus full of students

(snip) from linked article:

Bonnie Duran -- a suburban Seattle resident who reported that the FedEx truck was on fire as it crossed the grass median, hit the Nissan Altima in which she and her husband were passengers, then smashed into the school bus -- also shot video after the crash that has been made available to the NTSB, said National Transportation Safety Board member Mark Rosekind.

Other witnesses have contradicted Duran's account of the FedEx big rig being on fire before the crash and Rosekind said, "There is no evidence of pre-impact fire located at the crash scene, in the center median or on the highway lanes."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

When the story broke, the Duran's were the only witnesses to make the statements regarding the FedEx truck being ablaze. I gingerly made a comment that I hoped other witnesses would come forward quickly to corroborate their account, but this hasn't happened. I said it with the utmost respect, and continue to do so. The NTSB has officially announced they haven't been able to confirm it, and other witnesses contest it.

Accident investigations are complex and complicated. People are traumatized, and memory recall can be affected. I am left wondering why the dichotomy exists between the Duran's and everyone else. I hope the final NTSB report addresses it, but that's 6 month away.

I have waited days to say this, but it hurt to be called out as cruel for having a difference of opinion that has played out in this case.

As the investigation proceeds, I continue to wish for full and honest disclosure, and for every possible witness to come forward. It will assist with the reconstruction, and allow those who survived to have answers, and those whose lives were lost to hopefully rest easier.

:moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When such a traumatic event happens, memory can be affected.
So what eyewitness claims might not necessarily be accurate. They might truly believe they saw this truck on fire prior to the collision, even though it wasn't on fire.

On Thursday, the truck driver traveled from Sacramento to Weed, Calif. to make a delivery—a more than six-hour round trip. After picking up two semi-trailers, he headed back to Sacramento. On the drive back, his truck would cross the median on Interstate 5 in Orland. Investigators say there’s no evidence Evans hit the brakes before he sideswiped a sedan and crashed into a tour bus.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014...s-last-72-hours-before-orland-tour-bus-crash/

The NTSB was in the process of learning the exact nature of the contents being hauled to determine if the truck was carrying any hazardous material. He said investigators also would look at possible driver "fatigue, distraction and other human performance issues."

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news...cle_f7b1688c-c462-11e3-ac03-0017a43b2370.html

(snip) from linked article:

Bonnie Duran -- a suburban Seattle resident who reported that the FedEx truck was on fire as it crossed the grass median, hit the Nissan Altima in which she and her husband were passengers, then smashed into the school bus -- also shot video after the crash that has been made available to the NTSB, said National Transportation Safety Board member Mark Rosekind.

Other witnesses have contradicted Duran's account of the FedEx big rig being on fire before the crash and Rosekind said, "There is no evidence of pre-impact fire located at the crash scene, in the center median or on the highway lanes."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

When the story broke, the Duran's were the only witnesses to make the statements regarding the FedEx truck being ablaze. I gingerly made a comment that I hoped other witnesses would come forward quickly to corroborate their account, but this hasn't happened. I said it with the utmost respect, and continue to do so. The NTSB has officially announced they haven't been able to confirm it, and other witnesses contest it.

Accident investigations are complex and complicated. People are traumatized, and memory recall can be affected. I am left wondering why the dichotomy exists between the Duran's and everyone else. I hope the final NTSB report addresses it, but that's 6 month away.

I have waited days to say this, but it hurt to be called out as cruel for having a difference of opinion that has played out in this case.

As the investigation proceeds, I continue to wish for full and honest disclosure, and for every possible witness to come forward. It will assist with the reconstruction, and allow those who survived to have answers, and those whose lives were lost to hopefully rest easier.

:moo:

Kimi,I don't think the comments were directed at you,I think people were talking about remarks from the comment section in msm. You do a good job posting, sometimes posts are misunderstood.

Kimi,I don't think the comments were directed at you,I think people were talking about remarks from the comment section in msm. You do a good job posting, sometimes posts are misunderstood.

:gthanks:

:hug:

Accident investigators reconstruct crash:

(Snip)

The CHP briefly closed the stretch of interstate where the crash happened, and drove the same model Serta 2014 bus northbound at about 70 mph. The driver braked so investigators could gauge how its speed would have dropped.

On the southbound side, a driver in the same model 2007 Volvo truck released the accelerator, in a similar effort to understand how its speed might have changed.

Video cameras on both vehicles recorded what each driver could have seen before the crash.

The reconstruction did not involve any collision. Investigators will use what they learned to calculate how fast each vehicle was traveling before the wreck.

The truck's data recorder was destroyed in the explosion and fire, but investigators said they may be able to recover some data about its speed and maneuvering by other forensic analysis.

(Snip)

The driver of the car struck first by the truck told investigators the truck was in flames before the crash, but Morrison said the CHP has found no evidence to corroborate that account. NTSB investigators also found no physical evidence of a pre-impact fire or other witnesses relating the same story.

http://www.abc-7.com/story/25280506/student-struggles-to-recount-fatal-truck-bus-crash

I just watched Southern California's local ABC affiliate's 11:00 o'clock news live (it was a late broadcast tonight, following "The Ten Commandments" on ABC7).

They had a segment in the bus driver and profiled a Riverside fund raiser for one of the students (her twin sister only survived because she was wait listed and assigned to a different bus). :rose: :rose:

I searched the web and the story has not been posted yet on abc7.com - it should be soon.

The bus driver, Ms. Tala, died on her son's 25th birthday! :tears: She had a stellar career. She was her kids' school bus driver, and was selected to drive the Jamaican Bobsled Team in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. She is being lauded as a hero as the crash investigation continues.

I will post the link via www.abc7.com (unless another WSer shares it 1st) - of the Southland coming together to support the survivors over the Easter holiday. The loss of life was so tremendous - may they feel the support, love and prayers from the community!

Heartbroken mother sues FedEx for $100M amid claims the delivery truck that slammed into a bus killing her teenage daughter and nine others could have been on fire BEFORE the impact

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610884/FedEx-sued-deadly-California-bus-crash.html

The suit also names the estate of the FedEx driver and the bus owner, Silverado Stages, as defendants.

That sure didn't take long. We don't even know the cause yet....or anything.

Posted: 8:30 a.m. Friday, April 25, 2014
KTVU
OAKLAND, Calif. —
A preliminary report released Friday has revealed that the fire erupted after a FedEx truck and bus carrying students on the way to a college weekend collided near Orland, federal officials said.
The National Transportation and Safety Board report said: “A post-crash fire ensued. The fire consumed the combination vehicle and partially burned the motor coach.”
Eight passengers on the bus were killed along with the drivers of both the bus and the truck.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/ntsb-issues-preliminary-report-deadly-bus-crash/nfhfB/

CBS Los Angeles: Cause of Deaths in FedEx Truck Bus Crash Released

ute2ytu3.jpg

:cry:

(snip)

The cause of the crash was under investigation.

More@Link

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/cause-of-deaths-in-fedex-truck-bus-crash-released/

Cause of Deaths in FedEx Truck-Bus Crash Released - ABC News

(snip)

By The Associated PressJul 21, 2014, 9:23 PM

WILLOWS, Calif. — Authorities have released the cause of death for nine of the 10 victims of a Northern California crash between a charter bus full of students and a FedEx tractor-trailer.

More@Link

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/deaths-fedex-truck-bus-crash-released-24656481

CHP: FedEx Truck Driver At Fault For Northern California Crash That Killed 10 « CBS Los Angeles
[...]
“We’re not able to determine whether he fell asleep or not,” Parsons said. “He had no evasive maneuvers during the collision. So, no braking, no indication of steering to turn the truck out of its direct path.”

Parsons said he could not say whether the Evans was negligent or overworked.

“He had sufficient time off. He was an on-call driver,” he said. “That day, he was working approximately eight hours at the time of the collision. But he had had between eight and 10 hours of sleep the night before.”

Investigators also determined that none of the drivers were using cellphones or were impaired by drugs or alcohol.
[...]
Embedded video & More@Link
http://cbsloc.al/1IUIl5a

CHP: FedEx Truck Driver At Fault For Northern California Crash That Killed 10 « CBS Los Angeles
[...]
“We’re not able to determine whether he fell asleep or not,” Parsons said. “He had no evasive maneuvers during the collision. So, no braking, no indication of steering to turn the truck out of its direct path.”

Parsons said he could not say whether the Evans was negligent or overworked.

“He had sufficient time off. He was an on-call driver,” he said. “That day, he was working approximately eight hours at the time of the collision. But he had had between eight and 10 hours of sleep the night before.”

Investigators also determined that none of the drivers were using cellphones or were impaired by drugs or alcohol.
[...]
Embedded video & More@Link
http://cbsloc.al/1IUIl5a

It's hard to believe that it took them a whole year to figure out that the truck driver, driving on the wrong side of the road was responsible for the accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back