Identified! CA - Fontana, WhtFem 662UFCA, 25-35, hit by car, Aug'85 - Marguerite O'Brien

Cherry Greenman? She was 20 when she was last known alive in 1976, so would have been 29 when the UID died, solidly in range. She was 5'7" (one inch shorter than the UID), 135 lbs (could easily have gained 15 lbs) and had brown hair and blue eyes.

72ef6332-8b88-4ce2-8b90-eddb1bac1ba1.jpg
greenman_cherry.jpg

Not a bad resemblance. She also fits with the 60's free-spirit persona. Jane Doe's shoes make me think that she might have been a bit of a free-spirit and non-conformist.

lips and chin look good, eye shape looks very promising as well. I think that JD's (postmortem photo) nostrils have that pinched/ bad rhinoplasty look, anyone else notice that?

And the name "Cherry" Greenman, if she does turn out to be a match, a very strange irony.

I think that JD's (postmortem photo) nostrils have that pinched/ bad rhinoplasty look, anyone else notice that?

That looks to me like a postmortem effect. After a certain amount of time after death, the flesh doesn't return to its natural form after it is pinched or twisted out of shape. I also have a feeling that the "U" shaped mark under her lip might have been caused by a respirator placed there by the paramedics.

I'm trying to make sense of the papers found in her possession with names and telephone numbers.

One of the papers is from a pad indicating what appears to be the name of an insurance agent, and the address:

177 North Lake Avenue, Phillips WI

The writing on the slip of paper is mostly illegible. If you google that address, it appears to be a small barber shop with an empty lot next to it. If there was an insurance agency there it is no longer there.
177 N Lake St, Phillips, WI 54555 to Phillips, WI - Google Maps

One of the other papers indicates "Lincoln Hotel", and a telephone "722-9612", but if you google the hotel name and telephone number, nothing helpful.

Did you notice that the street on the other side of the hardware store, just to the left of the blue pickup in your picture, is Cherry Street?

For what it's worth:
One thing I noticed on the post-morten photo is that this lady had unplucked eyebrows, while many of the suggested matches, including the Greenman woman who I think best resembles the UID, have nicely plucked eyebrows. From personal experience, my eyebrows never grew back after several pluckings. I know not everyone is the same, but I would still think that plucked eyebrows would not return to a never-plucked appearance.

Early on in this thread, there were discussions regarding one of her paper's that had a "FLA" reference. There was confusion as to an interstate. I think the paper said I-95 South....95 runs from NY to FL.

2427332660045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

From a zip code database:

Here are all 29 cities in the U.S. with the initials JC. (Junction City AR is adjacent to Junction City LA - they appear to be the same city, divided by a state line). From what I can gather, the cities marked with the triple asterisks have a 400 block of Main Street (or in one case, Main Avenue), although not all have the exact address 468. I didn't see too many three story buildings in any of these locations.

Using Google earth, it is difficult to determine if an exact address actually exists. And of course, an address (or three-story building) existing prior to 1985 may not exist today.

Jacks Creek, Tennessee
Jackson Center, Ohio
Jackson Center, Pennsylvania
Jacobs Creek, Pennsylvania
James City, Pennsylvania
James Creek, Pennsylvania
Java Center, New York
Jefferson City, Missouri ***
Jefferson City, Montana
Jefferson City, Tennessee ***
Jeffrey City, Wyoming
Jerry City, Ohio ***
Jersey City, New Jersey
Jewett City, Connecticut ***
Johnson City, New York ***
Johnson City, Tennessee ***
Johnson City, Texas ***
Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
Johnston City, Illinois *** (Main Ave)
Joseph City, Arizona
Junction City, Arkansas ***
Junction City, California
Junction City, Georgia
Junction City, Kansas
Junction City, Kentucky
Junction City, Louisiana ***
Junction City, Ohio ***
Junction City, Oregon
Junction City, Wisconsin ***

ETA: Although it appears to be "J.C.", it might be "T.C." with a slip of the pen at the bottom of the "T". If that's the case, there are 36 cities with the initials "T.C."

Tabor City, NC
Tahoe City, CA
Tawas City, MI
Tell City, IN
Temple City, CA
Tennessee Colony, TX
Terra Ceia, FL
Texas City, TX
The Colony, TX
Thetford Center, VT
Tiff City, MO
Tioga Center, NY
Tipp City, OH
Tomkins Cove, NY
Tower City, ND
Tower City, PA
Town Creek, AL
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Tracy City, TN
Trail City, SD
Trapper Creek, AK
Traverse City, MI
Tremont City, OH
Trinity Center, CA
Trout Creek, MI
Trout Creek, MT
Trout Creek, NY
Truth or Consequences, NM
Tuba City, AZ
Tunnel City, WI
Turkey City, PA
Turkey Creek, LA
Turner Center, ME
Turtle Creek, PA
Turtle Creek, WV
Twin City, GA

I just went through all JC's and TC's in Google Earth again, looking for a 400 Block of Main. Most of the ones that do have a 400 block of Main are rural or residential areas where there aren't (and probably never were) any three story buildings.

Jefferson City MO is the only one that appears to me to possibly be in an area that would have a 3 story building, and there is a large commercial building with a large parking lot containing hundredes of cars. I don't think the address is 460, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a 460 Main back before 1985.

It may just be that "JC" doesn't stand for a city, but maybe just the name of the building (e.g., J---- Center, J---- Corp., J---- Church, etc.).

for what it's worth, looking at the piece of paper with the name Kelly on it, I think two different people wrote that.

Kelly is in all capital letters while the street address uses both. the person who wrote Kelly had better handwriting than the person who wrote the street address.

I can't explain why it would be written that way unless somebody (probably male) wrote an address and she filled in the name later. Kelly could be a last name as it is not uncommon for some guys to use a last name as a nickname.

eta: I really can't say whether any of the handwriting looks particularly 'male'. the small letters look somewhat childish. in any event, Kelly could be a woman or a man and as I said before, Kelly could be a last name.

I don't see an obvious difference there. It looks like the same handwriting style to me, and FWIW, the "y" in "Kelly" is lower case.

BTW, I also checked for all City/State combinations were the city starts with "J" and the state starts with "C". There are 19 such cities, and none that have 400 blocks of Main where there are (or maybe were) 3-story buildings.

I don't see an obvious difference there. It looks like the same handwriting style to me, and FWIW, the "y" in "Kelly" is lower case.

BTW, I also checked for all City/State combinations were the city starts with "J" and the state starts with "C". There are 19 such cities, and none that have 400 blocks of Main where there are (or maybe were) 3-story buildings.

I tried to do a google earth search for 468 Main Street, Johnson City NY. it is not a perfect system as they often are off by a house or two. some look like they could have living space in the attics.

unfortunately, if the UID was hitchhiking then she had a very transient existence. she might have befriended someone, took down a name, number or address with the hope of keeping in contact, however unrealistic that might have been in the days before cell phones. plus if she was always on the go, it was not like she had a return address to use to send someone a friendly letter.

Also, if she got a ride from some truckers, who's to say they gave out real names or numbers?

For what it's worth:
One thing I noticed on the post-morten photo is that this lady had unplucked eyebrows, while many of the suggested matches, including the Greenman woman who I think best resembles the UID, have nicely plucked eyebrows. From personal experience, my eyebrows never grew back after several pluckings. I know not everyone is the same, but I would still think that plucked eyebrows would not return to a never-plucked appearance.

Boy I wish that would happen to me...but mine seem to be getting wilder...

I tried to do a google earth search for 468 Main Street, Johnson City NY. it is not a perfect system as they often are off by a house or two. some look like they could have living space in the attics.

unfortunately, if the UID was hitchhiking then she had a very transient existence. she might have befriended someone, took down a name, number or address with the hope of keeping in contact, however unrealistic that might have been in the days before cell phones. plus if she was always on the go, it was not like she had a return address to use to send someone a friendly letter.

Also, if she got a ride from some truckers, who's to say they gave out real names or numbers?

Shades of the past. I used to live in Johnson City, NY, back when I went to grad school at SUNY-Binghamton, in the late 70's. Johnson City was routinely referred to as JC, even in ads and news articles (though I imagine most Jsomething Citys also refer to themselves that way).

Yes, most of those houses have third-floor apartments. Most of them are rental units -- either side by side duplexes or one apartment per floor.

The church is All Saints' Episcopal, at 475 Main (17C). So our target address would be across the street -- in the block that starts with the empty lot on the corner.

It seems like that corner, where the empty lot is, used to have a large building on the corner, with a couple of stores on the first floor and apartments above. But I could be remembering wrong. It was a long time ago.

I just went through all JC's and TC's in Google Earth again, looking for a 400 Block of Main. Most of the ones that do have a 400 block of Main are rural or residential areas where there aren't (and probably never were) any three story buildings.

Jefferson City MO is the only one that appears to me to possibly be in an area that would have a 3 story building, and there is a large commercial building with a large parking lot containing hundredes of cars. I don't think the address is 460, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a 460 Main back before 1985.

It may just be that "JC" doesn't stand for a city, but maybe just the name of the building (e.g., J---- Center, J---- Corp., J---- Church, etc.).

BBM -- in eastern cities, there would not be "a" 400 block. The numbers don't run by blocks the way they do in Western cities, so the 400's would run for several blocks.

Shades of the past. I used to live in Johnson City, NY, back when I went to grad school at SUNY-Binghamton, in the late 70's. Johnson City was routinely referred to as JC, even in ads and news articles (though I imagine most Jsomething Citys also refer to themselves that way).

Yes, most of those houses have third-floor apartments. Most of them are rental units -- either side by side duplexes or one apartment per floor.

The church is All Saints' Episcopal, at 475 Johnson. So our target address would be across the street -- in the block that starts with the empty lot on the corner.

It seems like that corner, where the empty lot is, used to have a large building on the corner, with a couple of stores on the first floor and apartments above. But I could be remembering wrong. It was a long time ago.

I put the address in mapquest and it put the location in the middle of the street between Baker and Crocker. I did see the empty lot so that could well be the spot of whatever building was 468.

talk about a mystery! no one could script a more frustrating case with so many tidbits that just can't be tied together.

BBM -- in eastern cities, there would not be "a" 400 block. The numbers don't run by blocks the way they do in Western cities, so the 400's would run for several blocks.

LOL - I'm definitely not an east coast guy. The last time I was trying to find my way through Boston, I asked for directions, and the guy said "go three blocks down and turn right at the satellites." :waitasec:

I spent the next half hour trying to find satellites before I realized he was saying "set of lights". :doh:

On the west coast, we call it a "traffic signal."

And BTW, there aren't any blocks in Boston, just a winding, twisting mess of streets that always eventually take you the opposite direction from where you thought you were going. :)

I've never seen the specifics of this case before, and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the "Phillips, WI" paper in the UID's possession. My fathers side of the family is ALL from Phillips, I own 80 acres of land there with a cabin and visit several times a year.

The address of 177 N. Lake St. is also on the highway known as Highway 13, and it basically is the "main drag" through town. The insurance place your looking for hasn't been there for many years. I believe I actually have a notepad from that place...(of course it is in the cabin). "Phillips Insurance Agency"...I'm 90% certain that was the name of the office. (FYI for whatever reason the street changes from North Lake St to South Lake Ave when you pass the intersection of Depot Rd and Lake heading south)

I've never seen the specifics of this case before, and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the "Phillips, WI" paper in the UID's possession. My fathers side of the family is ALL from Phillips, I own 80 acres of land there with a cabin and visit several times a year.

The address of 177 N. Lake St. is also on the highway known as Highway 13, and it basically is the "main drag" through town. The insurance place your looking for hasn't been there for many years. I believe I actually have a notepad from that place...(of course it is in the cabin). "Phillips Insurance Agency"...I'm 90% certain that was the name of the office. (FYI for whatever reason the street changes from North Lake St to South Lake Ave when you pass the intersection of Depot Rd and Lake heading south)

Given the Wisconsin connection, I knew you would be interested in this case.

Given the Wisconsin connection, I knew you would be interested in this case.

Yeah for sure. The first thing that comes to mind is that the son of my Aunt and Uncles' neighbor (who still live in Phillips) was released from a prison in California maybe 8-10 years ago. I am going to see what I can find out about him....what he did, and how long he was in for. I know that he stayed on-and-off with his mom in Phillips, but last I heard he went back to California (maybe a year ago or so). Not sure if there is any connection, but that is all the comes to mind when I think about Phillips, WI and the state of California.

Oh and I don't feel there is any connection to Marchelle Hanson who disappeared from Phillips two years later.. You can never be too sure though; my cousin has lived up there since 1980...and being that it is a town where literally everyone knowns everyone...I may have to ask around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back