CA CA - Gail D. Skelton, 26, Galt/Stockton, 26 September 1980

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by rats, May 7, 2018.

1. LucyOso

LucyOso Verified Registered Nurse

Great work everyone. Let’s find Gail.

StarrChance likes this.
  2. rats

rats Where is Justice for the Jane and John Does?

Welcome, GRS! Thank you for joining us! It’s exciting to have family of Gail’s here. I am so frustrated we have not gotten anywhere.

Is it possible for you to start to stir up interest in the case again out there? Possibly by suggesting a newspaper article (or two or three or four... as many as possible honestly) so that there can be some new info?

Suglo, Bit of hope and Gardener1850 like this.
  3. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Well-Known Member

Thank you J Rubio. I finally took the time to read it. It's quite an interesting story and you pinpointed the odd circumstances very good. Personally I don't believe alcohol (or drugs) were involved. Off course Gail could have taken her own life in distress, but somehow I can't "see" her doing that. The political angle (Delta Tunnels vs business plans) is intriguing but it brings on a question. Was the elimination of Pat enough to stop his father and brother going through with the plans?

4. Bit of hope

Just wauww...you are great Rats.

Owutatangledweb likes this.
  5. Bit of hope

Could the husband with the surname Garcia have something to do with it? @ J Rubio, do you know if he was ever a suspect?

6. Mysteries1974

Mysteries1974 Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985

Gail Deann Skelton
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    Skelton, circa 1980; Sketch of last person known to have seen Skelton

• Missing Since09/26/1980
    • Missing FromSan Joaquin County, California
    • ClassificationEndangered Missing
    • Date of Birth01/28/1954 (64)
    • Age26 years old
    • Height and Weight5'1, 115 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue plaid flannel shirt and blue jeans.
    • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Skelton may use the last name Brewer.
    Details of Disappearance
    Skelton was last seen in San Joaquin County, California on September 26, 1980. She attended a party at Herman and Helen's Marina, a now-defunct bar on Empire Tract at the western end of Eight Mile Road, fourteen miles southwest of Lodi, and never returned home. She has never been heard from again and her car, a blue two-door 1978 Toyota, has never been found.

The last person known to have seen Skelton was another patron at the bar that night, described as a 25- to 30-year-old Caucasian man over six feet tall, with dark hair and a thin build. This person was harassing Skelton at the bar and kept wanting to go places with her, and she refused. It isn't clear whether this individual was ever identified or if he is a suspect in her case. A composite sketch of the person is posted with this case summary.

Skelton's fiance, Pat Malone, disappeared on June 9, 1980, three and a half months before she did, from a boat on the Mokelumne River. Eight days later, his body was recovered in the water 200 yards away. Authorities believe his drowning death was an accident and the timing of his and Skelton's disappearance is coincidental.

The couple had lived together on a houseboat and planned to marry in March 1981. Skelton was still grieving over Malone's death at the time of her disappearance, but her family doesn't believe she left of her own accord. They stated whatever problems she had in her life were normal ones and she wasn't having financial difficulties.

The circumstances of Skelton's disappearance are unclear. Authorities believe she may have accidentally driven her car into the water on the night of her disappearance, but there is no evidence to support any theory.
    Investigating Agency
    Source Information
    Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 6, 2018; casefile added.

Link: Gail Deann Skelton – The Charley Project

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  7. Mysteries1974

8. Mysteries1974

What body of water was closest to the area that she had vanished from?

9. Mysteries1974

Awesome job for entering her on Namus!! It seems they were able to get a DNA sample from her family.

10. Mysteries1974

Is anyone willing to submit Gail to Doe network?

11. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

Last I read, Doe was only taking reports from law enforcement agencies. Does anyone know if that's no longer the case?

12. Bit of hope

Can anybody check Namus if there is DNA available for Gail?

13. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

That information is no longer made public. Apparently it's considered the missing person's private medical data.

sunnynz and Bit of hope like this.
  14. Mysteries1974

Yep, I’m guessing they must’ve gotten a sample from LE because it took months for them to publish her case.

carbuff likes this.
  15. J Rubio

J Rubio New Member

Thank you StarrChance, I had his birth and death information but hadn't seen the Obituary before. I am still on the case and trying to figure out just what happened to both Gail and Pat.

16. J Rubio

J Rubio New Member

GRS, from all the information I have gathered, the mystery continues to deepen the further I get pulled into it. I have been perplexed by the address in Stockton as well, and I have often wanted to go knock on the door and ask if they knew who Gail was. I haven't done it though, not yet any way. I contacted the Sherrif's department asking if they had any knowledge but no one got back to me. I wrote the coroner's office in Sacramento given the fact where Pat was found it was actually more Sacramento County than San Joaquin, but they have no record of his death at all. I am currently trying to see if San Joaquin County has the records. As of now, I am writing a more in depth chapter for my new book with more information sans the names of living relatives of Pat's but including a lot of stories I have been given permission to mention by them. My overall take on this is that there is a lot more to the story than any of us can imagine. If you ever want to get a hold of me feel free to private email me at my website. www.jaimerubiowriter.com

17. rats

rats Where is Justice for the Jane and John Does?

It looks like Gail is FINALLY public on NamUs!!!

carbuff, Suglo, Bit of hope and 2 others like this.
  18. Bit of hope

Maybe my imagination is far to big, but could there be an IRA connection?

19. marsyao

marsyao Well-Known Member

I doubt it, IRA did launched several attacks in Europe in 70's and 80's, but their targets were always either British military (sometimes their families) or British diplomats, as far as I can remember, they never do a hit in US, and killing an ordinary citizens in a foreign country who had no tie to UK government was not IRA's style

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Roselvr, shadowdancer and Bit of hope like this.