GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #3

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by bessie, Sep 4, 2014.

1. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My guess is that it's expected that Mercado will change his plea to guilty in exchange for LWOP. His trial was due to be starting spring of this year and this was most likely his last opportunity to plead guilty before his death penalty trial began.

2. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Man charged in Christmas Eve triple homicide pleads guilty to murder

3. SDHELPS

SDHELPS Well-Known Member

Hi all and Happy New Year!

Yes he plead guilty this morning. I found out by a news agency who contacted the Justice FB page who is requesting a intro and statement from the family.

"Carlo Mercado, 31, admitted to the charges Thursday morning in San Diego Superior Court in a deal that allows him to avoid the possibility of the death penalty. Judge Frederic Link sentenced him to three terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole."

I assume there will not be a trial now but I certainly pray that the motive comes out! Thanks all for keeping this thread alive! :tyou:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-mercado-plea-20170111-story.html

4. Hapworth

Hapworth Active Member

Still...the motive. ? ?.
    Its a possibility he was attracted to one of the three victims, either male or female. Wasn't one of the male siblings found with his underwear lowered? I'm baffled like the rest of you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5. jggordo

jggordo Well-Known Member

This story and tragedy started as a sad state of our affairs in a free society. Although there has been a "confession" so to speak I for one do no accept it as truth. It just doesn't add up to me, as presented. But I suppose some Justice is better than none at all. The death penalty is not what it is cracked up to be these days and those on death row are coddled more than other inmates and privy to more appeals. I say put I'm in a place where depression is real.

JMO

6. Curious Me

Curious Me Long-Time Member from back in the day

7. Curious Me

Be sure to READ THIS.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34247884/manpleads-guilty-to-murder-in-christmas-eve-triple-homicide

and then...

8. Curious Me

I don't get it. Gianni's car wasn't particularly worth stealing. Why kill him and then two more people to steal that car? Senseless, so senseless.

9. Curious Me

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...riple-Killings-Belvedere-Flint-410557635.html
    Video included

(BTW, I believe that Macy's is one of the ones being closed down this year.)

10. Curious Me

There's been so much speculation here for such a long time concerning the motive and details. Now we find out how much of a selfish monster Mercado was and is. He's cold, and shudder, not quite human.

Some GRAPHIC DETAILS here that answer some of the questions we had
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...riple-Killings-Belvedere-Flint-410557635.html

11. mrsobrien

mrsobrien Well-Known Member

Glad Mercado will never be free!

12. Vedder

Vedder John 3:16

Not only that - he went back to the mall in Gianni's car, with Gianni in the trunk, to retrieve his motorcycle? How? Put it on the roof of the car? Not to be sarcastic but this makes zero sense to me and I don't buy this explanation.

13. Curious Me

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34247884/manpleads-guilty-to-murder-in-christmas-eve-triple-homicide

I'm trying to imagine CM doing all this alone. He pulled it off -- even suffering from his mental illness.

I think CM drove Gianni's car to CM's neighborhood, put gas in it, but I don't understand why and how he drove it back to the mall. Apparently, that's when he shot Ilona and Sal.

Then, eventually, he did rent a U-Haul truck to go get his motorcycle from the mall area. I guess he drove Gianni's car to the U-Haul place and left it parked there, then returned to the mall in the truck. Notice the motorcycle ended up falling off the back of the truck! He left quite a trail, and there was plenty of evidence, but somehow he went undetected. It's still hard to believe only one person did all this alone.

Now that I've heard all the evidence against him, I think there was a major likelihood he might have gotten the Death Penalty.

14. SDHELPS

SDHELPS Well-Known Member

I have no words and still can't wrap my head around the fact that this is a random act! I know it's been speculated as such for quite sometime but it still doesn't add up. My heart goes out to the families knowing what they know now and how senseless this tragedy is.

15. Olivia522

Olivia522 Member

I'm so with you.'I read the article twice & my BS detector is going off big time.
    Why would he shoot gianni then stick around for 90 minutes?! Not 5 or 10 ...90. Something isn't right.

16. jash

jash Well-Known Member

Ya, I feel like we're missing at least one piece of the puzzle. Why would he drive towards home to fill up the tank and then come back? It's not like he was going to be able to put his motorcycle inside of Gianni's car. Maybe he dropped something at the scene.

I wonder where his bike was in relation to Sal's car, and whether police took note of all the vehicles in the parking lot after the shooting.

I would also like to know whether he was the guy wearing tan pants and hooded sweatshirt.

17. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...alley-Murders-Evidence-in-Docs-411429095.html

18. Curious Me

Thanks for the article. Very interesting. It says Mercado was up to no good with that motorcycle of his, in the past, trying to deceptively cheat and scare people out of money via fake accidents.

Please read this:
    :frown:Wonder what he had up his sleeve the night of the crimes. He surely was in a nasty mood at Christmas time 2013 riding around on his motorcycle and he just happened to have on his person a gun and most likely the gun silencer.

Here's the Timeline:

Timeline: Brothers, Fiancée Killed in Triple Homicide Mystery
    A look at the key events in the slayings of Ilona Flint, Salvatore Belvedere and Gianni Belvedere

By Monica Garske
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Flint-Mission-Valley-Shooting-241991751.html