CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
SATA, Appreciate your posts and thoughtfulness.

Thank you for your balanced post.

I can see you have to tread lightly here and be careful with your words.

I did say the most large families seem to be happy ones, but that was overlooked.

I don´t feel like saying anything more - at all, really.

I hope no one interprets this as an attempt to mitigate the responsibility Sarah has in preventing this tragedy, because at the point she realized the children were (and would continue to be) abused she should have notified authorities and refused to be a participant. I'm responding to the statement that I've bolded. The entire "story" of this family should be titled "The Jen Show". She becomes involved with a partner, in college, who shares her idealistic dream of proving to the world SHE is a savior. How perfect that her soulmate has an affinity for children, particularly educated in caring for those with special needs. She starts her "life story' by fighting for equal rights for same sex couples. During chapter two she adopts 3 children. During that chapter there is some "unpleasantness" due to some unfortunate incident(s) involving CPS. No one is going to interfere with HER plan for fame, so she convinces her partner to take the blame for the "misinterpreted" child abuse. That was quite a coup, because not only did she successfully adopt her first 3 children - she also gained control of Jen. Jen committed perjury for her, and in doing so, gave up any possibility of pursuing an independent career in teaching. That record would follow Jen forever. The children, and now Jen, became her tools to manipulate and use to fool everyone they encountered. If Jen threatened to leave the relationship Sarah could remind her that her name wasn't on the adoption papers, thus she would lose the children. She also could provide a narrative that would prevent Sarah from being able to foster or adopt in the future. I believe that Sarah was also abused. I've been there and done that, and the primary concern about leaving the relationship isn't personal safety, it's to prevent further harm to the children. I think Sarah tried to free herself from the relationship and to change the dynamics by relocating and starting over, but the power Jen held over her by "possessing" the children always brought her back. Jen controlled the minds of the children and she undoubtedly used them as a threat. She could tell them to lie about Sarah, any abuse or mistreatment, and their "feelings" about their mothers. Jen was a gamer and she would be victorious at any cost. I've heard threats like "if you leave I'll commit suicide" or "I will kill you (and/or the children)" and it becomes an insurmountable fear. Especially in a case like this, where it has already been proven that the perpetrator can get away with the lies and abuse. Everything about this case is heartbreaking. IMHO

Oops! Good post travelbug.
Just a bit confusing since I think you transposed JH and SH in the middle, but then got back on track at the end.

Is there more than one Safeway in or near Ft Bragg? There is a Safeway only 1.5 miles from Glass Beach.

It seems unlikely that there would be evidence there, right? But it seems worth a looksie.

You know I just rewatched the raw footage of the neighbors interview and I wonder what the other neighbors with the blackberrys that Hannah crawled through have to offer about this.

I also sadly no longer think that Devonte ran away. When Hannah ran away they had flash lights and were searching for her so I think they would have been searching for him too if he was missing. I don't think they would have left without him. He was the one they treasured most so I think he was in the car and they all crashed. [emoji30]
I

IMO

I wonder looking at the yard where the blackberry bushes are? There is nothing close to brambles near that house.

I wonder looking at the yard where the blackberry bushes are? There is nothing close to brambles near that house.

Is there a diagram or map of their area available and can be posted here that doesn't violate any terms?

IMO

Does this sound like there were more than 2 cell phones (one for each woman)? Do you all think that the kids actually were allowed to have phones?

It's possible that Sarah had a cellphone from work and then she and Jen each had their own personal phone. That would make three phones. I doubt that the kids had phones- they were so isolated from others, so why would they need a phone?

That is where there oversight should be, however, most home schooling families comply with the regulations and take advantage of the additional available through the various programs. It's the unregistered, under the radar and non-compliant families that exhibit the most troubling concerns. There needs to be more follow up with foster parents, social services, welfare, etc. This case and the Turpin case are classic examples of how a clever parent or guardian can make their family "disappear" from welfare checks and oversight. :banghead:

Yes this.

This is my first time posting, but I read a lot here.

I read in an article that this family was not properly registered to homeschool in either Oregon or Washington. This means that somehow, these children had fallen through the cracks and were technically truant. That is really the issue. Legitimate homeschoolers follow the guidelines and worry about being compliant because they want to be able to still opt for their chosen method of education. Most if not all families I have read about who have “homeschooled” were not compliant.

Does this sound like there were more than 2 cell phones (one for each woman)? Do you all think that the kids actually were allowed to have phones?

No, I don’t think the children were allowed to have cell phones. I’d imagine both moms had one, and possibly Sarah had one provided by her job. I know people who have “work phones”.

IIRC, the term was “covered in weeds”.

Personally I was imagining those little burrs. You know the ones that are like little Velcro balls (they actually inspired the invention of Velcro). Not sure what they’re called officially, and not sure if the West Coast has them.

Edited to add: The plants are at most waist-high and usually on the periphery of woods.

JMO

Just popping in with a reminder folks.

Members are allowed to speculate to some degree based on some known fact, but wild speculation (i.e. someone is delusional, spent all the money, poisoning of food) with nothing to substantiate is not allowed. Such posts get removed.

:wave:

Most if not all families I have read about who have “homeschooled” were not compliant.
Right. It makes little to no sense to have increased regulation for homeschoolers in general when it is the ones not following the rules in the first place committing crimes also.

Thank you for your balanced post.

I can see you have to tread lightly here and be careful with your words.

I did say the most large families seem to be happy ones, but that was overlooked.

I don´t feel like saying anything more - at all, really.

One thing I love about Websleuths is how so many people from different backgrounds manage to put aside their disagreements and focus on the cases. So much of the internet is just people defending their positions till the end of time, with no one convincing anyone. I can't think of anywhere else where conservative and liberal posters are truly respectful of each other, for instance. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out on sites where everyone agrees with me! :D But when you do have a mix of folks, like we have here, a certain amount of walking on eggshells is helpful. These cases bring out a LOT of emotion!! And the subject here is parenting: is there any other topic we feel more defensive about?

I guess what I'm saying is, Yeah, treading lightly is helpful, especially around polarizing topics. But it's worth it to maintain everyone's focus on the victims.

Is there more than one Safeway in or near Ft Bragg? There is a Safeway only 1.5 miles from Glass Beach.

It seems unlikely that there would be evidence there, right? But it seems worth a looksie.

There is only one Safeway in Ft Bragg. It is on Main street.

I hope they looked at the parking lot video footage, if there is any. I am sure they already did though.

There is only one Safeway in Ft Bragg. It is on Main street.

I hope they looked at the parking lot video footage, if there is any. I am sure they already did though.

They did. They couldn’t see the license plate or identify anyone else with Jen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did. They couldn’t see the license plate or identify anyone else with Jen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Ft Bragg is surrounded by state parks and camp grounds and remote dirt roads and redwoods and beaches. I think the family probably just found a quiet place to park, off the beaten path, and slept in the vehicle.

There are a zillion hiking trails and they could have just let the kids walk and explore the area. Then they could go to various beaches and look for shells and glass....and go see the light house at Point Arena. Time passes quickly when there are things to see.

Does it say where they stayed when there?
That would probably be very helpful

Wish I had taken a screenshot. The person who posted them was named Lance Gry (defending the Harts, of course) and he posted them in the comment section of an Oregonian story about the story. There were photos of the kids and a story Jen had posted about their visit. He has since removed the photos and has made his FB page private. From what I remember of the photos, I’d say it was in the last five years.

Here’s the link to the article:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155717353686973&id=6321831972

You make so many great points. I mentioned earlier that the education could have caused people to overlook suspicious things and was met with opposition, but you hit it right on the nail. Having a degree in education doesn't mean you can teach or know how to work with youth. I've seen that first hand in too many circumstances. Bruce Dekalb said he went over the next day to check out the house. I agree that the young girl wouldn't have been returned if it were two men and believe Dana would have called 911 that night.
IMO

I find it so strange that a teenage girl would flee in terror from two lesbian woman, so something was happening to that girl that was not normal. I don't think inappropriate sexual behavior is out of the question.

I do think the education degree gave people, and perhaps the adoption agencies, the impression that she was a teacher, but a teaching degree does not a teacher make. Anyone can take the degree, but only a percentage of those with degrees can get the job. The rest end up working at places like Kohls because their behavior during the practicums is inappropriate.

Sometimes traffic surveillance cameras can be viewed on-line. Not being savvy with what cameras might on-line in California, maybe someone more aware of what publicly available surveillance cameras might be something a web-sleuther might go through. (?)

The last time I looked for something like this was 2012. I'm sure someone has more recent awareness -- it is an assumption that cameras are still on-line with the right websites. I might be wrong.

I wonder if the kids were given old cells, no longer able to make outgoing calls, but still able to play games or music?
There are things you can still do on the phones but cannot make calls other than 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck