Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

This tweet has more detail regarding last seen:

Santa Clara Police on Twitter

Gate C walking west between pedistrian chute at canopy 5/6 & Great American Parkway FWIW

IMO, in this video it almost looks like he is carrying a brown Budweiser bottle in his right hand... does anyone know if the stadium allows drinks to be carried in to this area?

When I was using Street View to look around for where the vidcap was taken, I noticed several cameras that had view of the streets. I saw a wide-angle camera near an intersection and others on buildings looking down at the perimeters of the buildings. What I don't see are the cameras on street lights intending to get driver's faces that we have in the cities I frequent (but see this about "rat boxes"). The light rail stops on Tasman have cameras. I don't see them at bus stops, but I can't see under the roof of the stops. The VTA is using cameras now to count traffic (I noticed one in the last week).

blueeyedfemale, do you get many of the Waymo (Google) self-driving vehicles near the stadium? We get lots of them in our quiet residential neighborhood in the MV area. IMO, they need to experience all kinds 0f traffic before they're let loose on the world. A sporting event, with heavy one-directional traffic, with people directing traffic, possible street closures & even potentially counter-flow traffic, not to mention potential inebriated, angry or delirious drivers, is something they need to learn about. ..... Anyway, I would expect the Waymos & the other scattered automated vehicles are recording the video around them, in case any where in that area at the time. Other vehicles (buses, cabs, private vehicles (Uber, etc)) may also have video.

While there is good coverage of Great America Parkway & Tasman, the other streets & the Blue parking lot have little coverage that was visible from Street View.
Honestly, I have yet to see a self driving car out here. You would think, living in the heart of Sikicon Valley and money galore that I would have seen one by now. Instead, the big thing out here, is they either drive their own car and try to park in front of my house, or they take Uber or Lyft. Just like every other city, they are huge out here.

Also, you would be correct in the number of, or lack of, cameras out here. With the stadium still being very new, for some reason, camera are far and few between. One would think they would be everywhere and surrounding the stadium and/or practice field where the 49ers practice... but nope! Especially, since I live in a highly populated area that always seems to be Rush Hour 24/7 every day.

For those interested, I am going to see of I can find a picture to send that shows just how close I am to the stadium. I think many of you will be surprised. Levi's Stadium is literally my back yard. Was lots of fun when we had Super Bowl out here... Broncos vs Patriots and Denver won :)

So..... little different direction, but.... is there a bridge that anyone would intentionally jump from for self harm over/ around this water? Or would it all be more ground level entry?

IMO, in this video it almost looks like he is carrying a brown Budweiser bottle in his right hand... does anyone know if the stadium allows drinks to be carried in to this area?

I didn’t see it at first but then caught a glimpse right before he walked out of the camera’s view..

Per Levi’s Stadium’s alcohol policy: “Alcohol purchased at Levi’s® Stadium is not to be removed from Levi’s® Stadium.” Does this also include the parking lot or just the physical building?

The A-Z guide also states “Glass containers are not permitted in ANY lot.”

Stadium A-Z Guide - Levi's® Stadium has the rest of the alcohol policies including sales stop at the end of third quarter or earlier at the discretion of management.

Last edited:
So..... little different direction, but.... is there a bridge that anyone would intentionally jump from for self harm over/ around this water? Or would it all be more ground level entry?
I live across the s t.f RT from the stadium so I am also right down the road from the water. There are bridges above the creeks but I dont think they are high enough that you would die if you were to jump. Maybe a broken bone, if that.

I agree that it very well could’ve been accidental, but I just can’t figure out how his body would’ve gotten one mile off shore?
Some SF locals were commenting earlier on the news article that the waters near that marina are very calm.

I think if he fell off a dock or a walkway and drown, he wouldn’t have drifted too far away. Maybe some locals will chime in..
I am a local (very local as I live across the street from the stadium). I tend to disagree with the water being calm. Over by the boat dock/ramp, the water flows rather quickly, in my opinion. It is the undercurrent that people underestimate. They tend to forget that this is the "Bay" which is the same water leading straight out to the pacific, Alcatraz, etc.

At 16:30ish in the feed there is some interesting (and sad) information given. Surprised there is no official announcement yet.
I live across the s t.f RT from the stadium so I am also right down the road from the water. There are bridges above the creeks but I dont think they are high enough that you would die if you were to jump. Maybe a broken bone, if that.
Thank you!

wait wait. HIS family members were at the game? Were they seated together? Did they have a vehicle? Are these details correct? If he wanted to disappear I cannot see him doing the facetime and texts or maybe I am misthinking this. This is just too weird.
Perhaps this has been answered already...
As I am behind in this thread...

but I was confused about this bit of information until I thought they were referring to:
1.) Girlfriend (Obvious)
2.) The Family being his two kids...

JMO...

I remember when a young guy went missing from a bar in Boston and they got videos from store cctvs that showed him walking to the wharf where he had fallen in and drowned. Hopefully there are some cctvs along this route that might be helpful in figuring out what happened.

O/T...

Perhaps there could be a little tip to learn here?

when traveling with a significant other...
Especially out of town...
IF both parties have a key to the vehicle...
Then BOTH should carry their own keys...

I try to do this when traveling with my DH...
Just in case he may not be able to operate the car...
(Injury/etc.)...

I would still have access to the car...
If not just to stay put in a fairly secure and protected area...

I do not know if this is possible with a rental car though...
???

Just a thought...

Someone said that due that Monday night game being a ‘Veterans Game’, that there were three F-15’s that flew over and around the stadium approx 5 times. Could the sounds of these fighter jets have triggered an underlying PTSD causing anxiety for him to walk away?

ETA: I’ve been inside a large stadium when the F-15 jets came from behind us doing a fly over so we didn't see them coming.
The booming sound catches you off guard at first until you realize what it is.

Last edited:
Someone said that due that Monday night game being a ‘Veterans Game’, that there were three F-15’s that flew over and around the stadium approx 5 times. Could the sounds of these fighter jets have triggered an underlying PTSD causing anxiety for him to walk away?

ETA: I’ve been inside a large stadium when the F-15 jets came from behind us doing a fly over so we didn't see them coming.
The booming sound catches you off guard at first until you realize what it is.

I strongly agree with your line of thinking and past posts on this! IMO, and what I know, from my daughter who has a degree and has worked with Veterans in recreational settings, PSTD can be triggered by even seemingly mild events. Unfortunately, events they enjoy may trigger symptoms. This might’ve been a form of a “perfect storm” for him with the stress of the crowd, noise, maybe even half an obligatory beer from a person sitting beside him wanting to buy a Veteran a beer! We may never know if he ever had PSTD symptoms in the past, many keep it hidden, even from family.
Breaks my heart thinking this might’ve been what happened, if so, he and many deserve sooo much better!!
(IMO...not trying to start any debate on this issue..just something I feel possibly might’ve contributed to this outcome.)

I strongly agree with your line of thinking and past posts on this! IMO, and what I know, from my daughter who has a degree and has worked with Veterans in recreational settings, PSTD can be triggered by even seemingly mild events. Unfortunately, events they enjoy may trigger symptoms. This might’ve been a form of a “perfect storm” for him with the stress of the crowd, noise, maybe even half an obligatory beer from a person sitting beside him wanting to buy a Veteran a beer! We may never know if he ever had PSTD symptoms in the past, many keep it hidden, even from family.
Breaks my heart thinking this might’ve been what happened, if so, he and many deserve sooo much better!!
(IMO...not trying to start any debate on this issue..just something I feel possibly might’ve contributed to this outcome.)
Thank you for this. I agree, this just breaks my heart for this man and his family. It just seems so odd for a man who was so looking forward to this big game with his girlfriend and kids, to just walk away.
With the combination of all of the excitement and noise within the stadium, it could’ve perhaps triggered something in him that caused him to feel that he needed a breather so he walked outside and just kept on walking...

Last edited:
I am a 49ers season ticket holder and they have the same policy... no alcohol after 3rd quarter.
We have PSLs for the Ravens and they do sell us drinks after the 3rd. In fact, was just there yesterday. I got a beer with 2 min left of the game (it was a close game).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back