CA CA - Janet Egan, 48, Humboldt County, 14 May 2018

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, May 19, 2018.

1. bellesnwhistles

bellesnwhistles Well-Known Member

Mike, thanks for coming back and answering our questions, I know it isn't easy, especially having strangers dissect your wife's every move and misstep.

I saw you said you don't have much support but Websleuths is full of great people who are always willing to help so if you need anything please let us know and we will do our best to help in anyway we can!

Sjm_qc, Ontario Mom, Tripod and 15 others like this.
  2. Jethro4WS

Jethro4WS Well-Known Member

The $100 was mentioned in post 29.
    I have an estimate of distance she could travel based on size of gas tank, mpg, etc. on post 64.

I would think if she sold the car then the title transfer would have occurred by now and that would have hit the system. Same is true with buying a vehicle and ditching the old one. So unless she had someone else to pick her up somewhere she should still be with her vehicle.

We really don't know just how much money Janet might have available to her. Since her husband knew nothing of the Washington charges which indicate at least $20,000 was taken then I am sure he doesn't know if she had spent it all or if she had it stashed away somewhere or converted it into something such as precious metals or gemstones. We don't know if the issues at work pertain to missing funds and/or transferring a vehicle title to or falsifying a sale to obtain another vehicle.

Hopefully, HCSO has checked with Greyhound, or similar, to see if Janet boarded a bus somewhere - cheapest way to travel long distances. She is going to be hard to find if she if actively trying not to be found. If Janet is out there alive she isn't going to contact anyone like her husband until she knows if she has any charges forthcoming in California, what those charges are, and how far California will consider going in order to extradite. Unfortunately, such things could take up until the statute of limitations to come about so it can be a long time. At a minimum, if she expects charges out of California, she is not in an adjoining state.

Alcina, Sjm_qc, sassyblue and 8 others like this.
  3. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Oh Janet, if you happen to find this site, and this post, please let her husband know you're OK. Whether you want to come back or not, just contact him and let him know.

4. Shiressleuth

Shiressleuth Well-Known Member

I notice there is a vehicle sighting in the comments section of that kym kemp follow up.

Where is Broadway?

Is that maybe Broadway street , Eureka?

And Mckinleyville is last ping 24 miles north. (With Trinidad purchase another 9 miles further north of that)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  5. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Member

Broadway is the major street of Eureka. It's actually Highway 101 but also has the name Broadway for the stretch in the middle of town.

I hope word gets out more widely than it has for folks to be on the lookout for that vehicle, if it's still in town as the comment suggests.

6. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Odd that the comment didn't include a cross street. A lot of cross streets - Grant, Clark, Cedar, 14th, 15th, etc. If the tipster had provided more detail of the vicinity of sighting "that license plate yesterday sitting in traffic on Broadway", surveillance cameras could be checked.

7. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

Honestly, I can’t believe people who post a sighting or relevant information in a comment on an article or FB! Doesn’t it occur to them to call LE with the info? Hoping this person did. Even if they don’t remember the cross street, LE can check surveillance cameras if they know of a sighting quickly.

8. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Ummm, without a cross street, I don't believe LE will 'quickly' do anything. LE doesn't have resources to ask 100+ businesses for camera footage, much less review hours and hours of those videos. The tip needs to be narrowed down much further than just "yesterday" (what time?!) and "on Broadway" (where?!)

9. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Member

Hopefully that person contacts LE and, even if they don't remember the specific cross street where they think they saw the car, could at least give the approximate time and which blocks of Broadway they drove.

Maybe I'm way out of date but does Eureka have traffic surveillance cameras? I've never heard of any. Of course I haven't lived in that area, or in anyplace big enough to have traffic cameras, in years, so I'm pretty far out of date. The only cameras I know of are once-an-hour snapshots intended to show road/weather conditions.

10. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Was the car parked when it was sighted? Could be she traded cars and or left it in a parking lot and took the bus.

11. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Member

Purely speculation on my part, but to notice a license plate the car's probably gotta be right in front of you and either in your lane or perhaps one lane over. I guess that could include street parking -- I can't recall if Broadway has much street parking or not. But not off in a lot -- even stopped in traffic most people couldn't read a license plate that far. IMO.

12. Janet's Husband

Janet's Husband Well-Known Member

>>I found that comment to be a little suspicious. She would have been driving past my work and her former place of employment if that were the case. If it's true I hope they contact the HCSO.

Jethro4WS, Suglo, sassyblue and 8 others like this.
  13. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Jethro4WS, Sjm_qc, sassyblue and 5 others like this.
  14. Detectivediva

Detectivediva Well-Known Member

Mike like the others said...thanks so much for coming back to answer our questions. I agree great article as well. I'm sorry if I missed the reply but someone asked if Jan had read any of your emails or fb messages. Could you please let us know if she has?

15. Lilibet

I think you misread my post. My comment clearly had to do with LE “quickly” getting information, not how quickly they could check on it. I was talking about someone posting a sighting in a comment instead of quickly calling LE. And I was actually thinking of traffic surveillance cameras, not business cameras. I figured traffic cameras could easily be checked by LE and that it would need to be done before it’s recorded over, so time is of the essence (see ETA below). But again, LE can’t do anything at all if the information sits in a comment on Kym’s article and doesn’t even get to them quickly. That was my point. Hope it’s clear now.

ETA: Looking into it, the traffic cams don’t archive and only keep the last 8 hourly snapshots. There are two on Broadway.
    Caltrans District 1 - Traffic Cameras

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  16. Busylady

Busylady Well-Known Member

Silly question maybe but what are mattes? Was oil something that she would normally check and put in the car she was driving. I would never think to check the oil unless oil light came on because husband takes care of maintenance but has told me if oil light comes on stop and put oil in don't keep driving.

They learned she had stopped at a gas station in Trinidad. “She got gas,” Egan said, “two mattes, a gallon of water and a quart of oil.

Missing Woman’s Husband Asks for Help

17. Lilibet

I googled and got nothing for “mattes” so it may be a typo meaning “lattes” (coffee drink). :)

Janet is a”gearhead,” someone who is VERY into cars, so she would definitely check and purchase oil.

18. Busylady

Busylady Well-Known Member

LOL I googled before I asked and got an education on paint types. Probably is lattes didn't think of that. I was just thinking gallon of water and oil could mean car trouble - if she bought two lattes was she meeting someone who called her maybe their car had overheated or something like that. I know when I first started driving my dad made sure that a jug of water was in my trunk in case car overheated and I needed to add water to radiator to make it to a gas station.

dms, Jethro4WS, Razz and 3 others like this.
  19. Lilibet

Yes, I ran across paint too. :) Maybe it’s Yerba Mate tea in a can (spelled Matte by mistake). It’s an energy drink.
    https://www.amazon.com/Guayaki-Yerba-Mate-Enlighten-Mint/dp/B003OBQT7U

Buying two along with water and oil could mean she was meeting someone with car trouble. That’s a new thought you brought up. I’m inclined to think it was all for her and she was taking precautions because she knew her car. And if she was driving any distance, energy drinks would keep her alert.

Jethro4WS, Tripod, sassyblue and 4 others like this.
  20. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

Last seen at Starbuck's, then buying more lattes at gas station?