CA - Janet Kovacich, 27, Auburn, 8 Sept 1982

On another note, I remember at least two decomposed bodies being found in Nevada Co wilderness - near highways, in 2005 or 2006. Of course, I can't find ANY of those articles anymore. At the time, everyone was speculating that they were the remains of Christie Wilson...
Yeah, I remember one found around Hwy 20 not far from I 80. I don't recall offhand if she was ever identified though but it wasn't Christie. I found the link

Skull found in Nevada County belongs to an adult Asian woman

Obviously just speculation, but LE buddies from that area are mentioning the numerous rock quarries as possible dump sites....

JMO

just bringing this thread up to date... I'll be going to the court house on May 29th for this case. Hopefully, I'll be able to post directly from the courtroom... IF they have WiFi... and my battery lasts...

Watch for an updated!

just bringing this thread up to date... I'll be going to the court house on May 29th for this case. Hopefully, I'll be able to post directly from the courtroom... IF they have WiFi... and my battery lasts...

Watch for an updated!

Thanks Niner!

Info was released to the media today that in evidence they have a skull which was found 12 years ago at the bottom of Rollins Lake (about 20 min from Auburn). The skull apparantly has what looks like a bullet hole in it. Unfortunately my link is to the Sac Bee which is subscription based. The Auburn Journal should have the story posted in the morning.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/191822.html
"The information is contained in court documents filed this month in the first-degree murder indictment against Paul R. Kovacich Jr., 58, who could face the death penalty if convicted.
The partial skull was found nearly 12 years ago at the bottom of Rollins Lake, north of Colfax, and DNA tests strongly indicate it is that of Janet Kovacich, who disappeared Sept. 8, 1982, at age 27, the documents say."

here's a bit from the Auburn Journal:

Skull found in '95 belongs to Kovacich

DNA links fragment found in lake to missing woman

The previously unreported 1995 discovery of Janet Kovacich's skull led to a March 22, 2007 grand jury indictment of her husband charging him with first-degree murder.

Paul Kovacich Jr., 58, has been held at Placer County jail without bail since a second grand jury indictment alleged that he kidnapped and killed his 27-year-old wife and mother of two with a firearm nearly 25 years ago.

According to documents filed May 15 in Placer County Superior Court, a partial skull was found in Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995. No other evidence was collected at that time and the skull was listed as a Jane/Joe Doe.

In March 2005, DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to the Department of Justice's Richmond, Calif. laboratory for forensic analysis.

Forensic anthropologist Patrick Willey testified before the Placer County grand jury March 22 that he received the skull in 1995.

"The skull had a bullet hole on the right of the cranial vault," according to court documents.

Colleen Spurgeon, a criminalist with the Department of Justice, received the partial skull and DNA from the Kovacich children in Oct. 2006. Through DNA analysis the partial skull, missing the mandible, was determined to belong to Janet Kovacich.

"King asserted her Fifth Amendment right not to testify and was granted use immunity," court documents state. Which means if King were to truthfully testify against Kovacich during trial the information she provides cannot be used against her.

Kovacich's arrest was the result of a second grand jury indictment, this time alleging special circumstances, which could mean the death penalty if he is found guilty. The first indictment alleged murder without special circumstance or use of a firearm. According to Deering's Penal Code, special circumstances include: lying in wait, robbery, kidnapping, use of a gun and rape. Two of those apply in this case.

"It is further alleged that the intentional murder of Janet Kay Kovacich was committed by the defendant while the said defendant was engaged in the commission of kidnapping ...," according to court documents dated March 22, 2007.

Kovacich's defense lawyers, Tom Leupp of Auburn, and Clyde Blackmon, of Sacramento, filed a motion May 1 with Placer County Superior Court calling for dismissal of the allegations of use of a firearm and special circumstances.

Kovacich has pleaded not guilty. He is scheduled to return to court at 8:30 a.m. May 29 in Placer County Superior Court.

When the lawyers called for a dismissal of these charges - that is why the prosecutors revealed they had the skull...

I'll be there on Tuesday - taking notes for you all! Keeping my fingers crossed that they have wifi, so I can connect to WS then and there!!

here's the link to the story above:
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/05/24/news/top_stories/01kovacich24.txt?pg=1

Another interesting snippet from the Journal article:

"Kovacich's attorneys counter the prosecution's claim that the hole in the skull was a product of a gunshot, citing a 1995 autopsy report.

Dr. Donald Henrikson, a pathologist working with the Placer County Sheriff's coroner's division determined that the skull, found by a two citizens, belonged to a young white female with an "undetermined" cause of death. He examined the skull and showed it to three of his colleagues.

'While we believe unanimously that it could be a bullet hole, it certainly has an atypical appearance for a gunshot wound ...,' the report states. 'I can certainly imagine an instrument, such as the pick side of a pick-axe which could produce a hole like this.' "

More Sacramento Bee linkage: http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/191875.html

There are some graphics (diagrams) of the skull in question and more info in regards to evidence and theory.

"The partial skull was discovered Oct. 22, 1995, by a man walking along Rollins Lake, according to a Bee report at the time."
(Does Rollins Lake get emptied? I'm pretty sure it's a man made lake butI could be wrong. Or maybe it was found in a receeding lake bed?)

"The lower part of the skull, including the jaw and teeth, is missing. There is a hole behind the right ear of the top of the skull."

(No exact match on DNA)
"DNA taken from the skull was compared to that of Janet Kovacich's late mother and of her two children, and a state criminalist said the profile indicates the deceased person was likely the missing woman, the documents say."

(Theory)
"The prosecution also discloses its theory on how and why Kovacich murdered his wife.
It said Janet Kovacich was preparing to end the couple's rocky marriage and confronted her husband about divorce on the morning she vanished.
The prosecution suggests Paul Kovacich then offered to drive his wife to an appointment at a school where she wanted her children enrolled.
"She got into the Ford Bronco with the defendant, believing he would drive her to her appointment," Gong wrote. "The defendant drove Janet to Rollins Lake against her will and killed her there."

"Documents also give details on some of the evidence....including summaries of interviews with friends of the Kovacich family, law enforcement officers and witnesses who gave information on the movements of Paul and Janet Kovacich on the day the woman disappeared."

(The article also discloses that there were what look like metal fragments in the skull which showed up on the xrays but it is in dispute as to whether these fragments are bullet fragments or issues with the film. Also, the examiner who states that it could be something other than a bullet hole is not considered an expert in gunshot wounds; the expert the prossecution is presenting apparantly is.)

thanks for posting those articles californiacarrie! This should be an interesting trial - I'm glad it's happening in my city!! I'll try and follow as much of this in person - but work will probably get in the way of that!! LOL! I'm set to go on Tuesday - already let me Manager know I'll be late coming in that day! Too bad I can't be a juror on this trial... But I know I won't be called, as I was already "called up" this year, and got dismissed the first day... :cool:

Yeah, I always get dismissed. I'm one of the few people in this world who would actually like the experience of sitting on a jury. Oh well.

Yeah, I always get dismissed. I'm one of the few people in this world who would actually like the experience of sitting on a jury. Oh well.

me too, CC - I would love to sit on a trial; but have never been picked... My mom, though, go to sit on a couple of trials... oh well! LOL! I'll just go and take notes for you all!

CC - I 'see' that you are 'near Sac' - so am I... have you gone to see the whales yet??!!

I didn't - me and crowds don't get along so well....

You know I was thinking yesterday, it amazes me that they are actually having this trial here, what with Kovacich's connections to the county and all. I'm really suprised no one tried to move it.

Today's the day. I sure hope stuff actually happens rather than a bunch of legal mumbo-jumbo. That'd be such a waste of Niner's time!

*sits and waits impatiently

good morning!! Correct, no WiFi!! LOL! And you're correct, a second time - it was a waste of my time this morning... All the defense did was ask for a continuance, as they filed MORE papers on last Friday; next scheduled court date is June 7 at 1:30pm. I don't believe I'll be attending this one, as the "court trial date" has yet to be set; so I'm going to assume they will be just talking their legal mumbo-jumbo then too!! LOL! Oh well!

:rolleyes:

Arg. What a bummer. I was hanging in suspense all morning. All I really want to know is who will testify....or more importantly, if Dixie will be called, and what she will say if she is. I just can't imagine living with someone when you know they've killed someone else. It fascinates me.

A decision on whether to dismiss a murder indictment against former Placer County Sheriff's Sgt. Paul R. Kovacich Jr. has been postponed to June 7.

~snip~

Kovacich's attorneys filed a reply to the brief on May 22, contending that there are no facts to support the allegation that Janet Kovacich was kidnapped. In addition, they say that forensics experts had divided views as to whether the hole in the skull was made by a bullet and that the full range of opinions were not presented to the Placer grand jury that indicted Kovacich.

http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/197836.html

hi everyone. this current legal tango is very important to paul's case since he's hoping to have his bail reinstated. the only way that can happen is if the special circumstance allegations are dismissed.

for the person wondering about dixie, i sincerely doubt she'll ever admit to believing paul murdered janet. all the more astounding since she worked as a homicide detective in placer county.

thanks for that article Chico!! I didn't realize THAT is what the defense was asking... dismissing murder charges - ??? Yikes!! :snooty:

Class - I too couldn't 'see' living with a person (you suspect??) having murdered his previous wife... or even told you he did... :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303
Back