Found Deceased CA - Janette “JayJay” Pantoja, 28, & ex-boyfriend (Juan Almanza, 36) didn’t return from Reno trip, Yuba City, 6 August 2022

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Police and family said 36-year-old Juan Almanza Zavala and 29-year-old Janette Pantoja went to Hot August Nights in Reno and planned to return the night of Aug. 7.

Alejandra Pantoja is worried sick about her younger sister. Janet Pantoja took what was supposed to be a day trip with her ex-boyfriend, Zavala, to Reno for the popular car show. But the two did not make it home, and now, no one knows where they are or what happened.

“Her not coming home, it’s just surprising because she would never do that,” Alejandra Pantoja said.

The last clue as to where the two might be was in Nevada County off of Highway 20. Family said it was right off of Poker Flat Road, in the Penn Valley area, that law enforcement tried to locate them by using their cell phone. But both Nevada County deputies and family said they came went there and didn’t find anything.

Investigators said the two were in a blue 2002 Ford Explorer, with license plate 4SNS072.

“Just knowing like what if she’s scared, what if she’s waiting for us to find her. I don’t want to let her down,” friend Kayla Sanchez said.

A family member of Pantoja said the last message they received from them was a text Pantoja sent to her boyfriend saying that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon.
1660293201308.jpeg
Police said they have tried pinging both their phones and the last known location of their phones was in Nevada County, and that the sheriff's office there is now also helping with looking for them. Family said that the last location ping was in Penn Valley, which is roughly 30 minutes away from Yuba City.

1660292785690.jpeg

Was just going to post about these two. Juan Almanza's family reported him missing to Yuba City Police. This is the link to the Yuba City Police Facebook:

On August 7, 2022 36-year old Juan Almanza Zavala and 29-yearold Janette Pantoja left together and told family they were going to Hot August Nights in Reno Nevada with plans to return the night of August 7th. When the two did not return home, family of Ms. Pantoja reported her missing to the Nevada County Sheriff Department, and family of Mr. Zavala reported him missing to the Yuba City Police Department. Cell phone pings were performed on both of their cell phones and the last known location of their phones was in Nevada County. The Nevada County Sheriff’s Department has looked in the area where their phones last pinged, but they did not locate them.

The Yuba City Police Investigation Unit is working in collaboration with the Nevada County Sheriff Department to investigate this case. They have been in contact with the families and are working to obtain as much information regarding their locations on August 7, 2022 in order to locate them. It is believed they were last driving a Blue 2002 Ford Explorer (4SNS072).

If anyone has information regarding their whereabouts is encouraged to call the Yuba City Police Department at (530) 822-4661.

Attachments

• 1660293569570.png
    1660293569570.png
    712.9 KB · Views: 14
Police and family said 36-year-old Juan Almanza Zavala and 29-year-old Janette Pantoja went to Hot August Nights in Reno and planned to return the night of Aug. 7.

Alejandra Pantoja is worried sick about her younger sister. Janet Pantoja took what was supposed to be a day trip with her ex-boyfriend, Zavala, to Reno for the popular car show. But the two did not make it home, and now, no one knows where they are or what happened.

“Her not coming home, it’s just surprising because she would never do that,” Alejandra Pantoja said.

The last clue as to where the two might be was in Nevada County off of Highway 20. Family said it was right off of Poker Flat Road, in the Penn Valley area, that law enforcement tried to locate them by using their cell phone. But both Nevada County deputies and family said they came went there and didn’t find anything.

Investigators said the two were in a blue 2002 Ford Explorer, with license plate 4SNS072.

“Just knowing like what if she’s scared, what if she’s waiting for us to find her. I don’t want to let her down,” friend Kayla Sanchez said.

A family member of Pantoja said the last message they received from them was a text Pantoja sent to her boyfriend saying that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon.
View attachment 359211
Police said they have tried pinging both their phones and the last known location of their phones was in Nevada County, and that the sheriff's office there is now also helping with looking for them. Family said that the last location ping was in Penn Valley, which is roughly 30 minutes away from Yuba City.

View attachment 359210
this stands out to me - "A family member of Pantoja said the last message they received from them was a text Pantoja sent to her boyfriend saying that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon."

was her bf a-ok w her taking a fun day trip w her ex?

this stands out to me - "A family member of Pantoja said the last message they received from them was a text Pantoja sent to her boyfriend saying that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon."

was her bf a-ok w her taking a fun day trip w her ex?
Yeah that stood out to me also. Another article:
A Yuba City woman and her ex-boyfriend have been missing for days after they were supposed to return home from a trip but never came back, according to a family member of the woman. Janette Pantoja, 28, went on a day trip to Reno with Juan Almanza, who is in his early 30s, on Saturday, the family member said. The last text Pantoja sent was a message to her boyfriend that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon. But she never came home, and neither Pantoja nor her ex-boyfriend have responded to any texts, the family member said.

1660366237504.png
Juan Almanza Zavala, 36, and Janette Pantoja, 29, told family they were going to Hot August Nights in Reno on Sunday, Aug. 7, with plans to return that evening, the Yuba City Police Department said in an Aug. 11 news release. They never made it home.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree, that is a strange text to send your current boyfriend about a trip with your ex-boyfriend.
My question though- is the location of their last cell ping:
The last clue as to where the two might be was in Nevada County off of Highway 20. Family said it was right off of Poker Flat Road, in the Penn Valley area
Is that location 30 minutes from her home? And any locals know about the last pinged location? Residential, business, rural?

Yes, I agree, that is a strange text to send your current boyfriend about a trip with your ex-boyfriend.

Is that location 30 minutes from her home? And any locals know about the last pinged location? Residential, business, rural?
Family is saying last pinged location was near Poker Flats Road in Penn Valley.

Family is saying last pinged location was near Poker Flats Road in Penn Valley.

Thanks for the map. So that last pinged location is about 30 minutes from home/Yuba City.
ETA- significance is she had texted current boyfriend they were 30 mins away from home. Strange that’s the same distance/time when the phone stopped pinging.

Last edited:
Yeah that stood out to me also. Another article:
A Yuba City woman and her ex-boyfriend have been missing for days after they were supposed to return home from a trip but never came back, according to a family member of the woman. Janette Pantoja, 28, went on a day trip to Reno with Juan Almanza, who is in his early 30s, on Saturday, the family member said. The last text Pantoja sent was a message to her boyfriend that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon. But she never came home, and neither Pantoja nor her ex-boyfriend have responded to any texts, the family member said.
maybe she told him she was going w her bestie? i mean, how would he know if they hadnt disappeared? just gives another option of what may have occurred though.

it is, but unsure if its rural or hilly or what.

It is a little weird that 3 people that potentially could have been on the same highway around the same time all went missing without a trace.
who? any links?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back