Found Deceased CA - Janette “JayJay” Pantoja, 28, & ex-boyfriend (Juan Almanza, 36) didn’t return from Reno trip, Yuba City, 6 August 2022

"UPDATED JOINT NEWS RELEASE FROM YUBA CITY POLICE AND NEVADA COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENT:
The Yuba City Police Department and the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office are continuing their investigation into the missing persons case of 36-year-old Juan Almanza Zavala and 29-year-old Janette Pantoja that was first received on August 7, 2022. They were last seen driving a blue Ford Explorer (4SNS072). Investigators from both agencies have been searching through cellular data looking for leads of their possible whereabouts. The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office has been and continues to search the areas surrounding the last known phone pings including any residences that were associated in rural Nevada County.
Both agencies have received several citizen tips and have followed up on each of them, but unfortunately, those tips have not produced new leads. The Yuba City Police Department and Nevada County Sheriff’s Office are continuing to work together during this investigation and we will provide any new information as it becomes available."

Janette "JJ" Pantoja, 29, and Juan Almanza Zavala, 36, were supposed to return home from the Hot August Nights car show on Aug. 7.

They broke up years ago but remained on friendly terms, according to her sister, Alejandra Pantoja, who said it was not unusual for them to go out to dinner or to events even though she’d since begun a new relationship.

Yuba City police said the pair’s phones last pinged in Nevada County, California, but a search of the area turned up nothing.

They were headed home from Reno, Nevada, to Yuba City in California. Reno is about 35 miles northwest of the Prosser Family Campground in the Tahoe National Forest, where 16-year-old Kiely Rodni was last seen about 23 hours earlier. Pantoja and Almanza Zavala’s phones last pinged in Penn Valley, another 75 miles to the west.

Authorities have said they don’t think the cases are connected – but Alejandra Pantoja has taken issue with the massive public search effort for Rodni juxtaposed against her sister’s quieter case.

"I thought police were pretty rude," she said of a Yuba City detective. "I called them today because I wanted to know about my sister, and they were like we can’t keep in contact with you every day."

"They’ve been telling us they were going to send an aerial search and they haven’t done that," Alejandra Pantoja said of Yuba City. "I just feel like if something happened to them, or if he did something to her, they’re just giving [potential suspects] time to run."

"How is it that they’re doing a big deal for her but not making a big deal for our family member?" Alejandra Pantoja said. "It’s not OK."
Janette JJ Pantoja in several photographs provided by her sister, Alejandra Pantoja.

Maybe because adults are allowed to go missing on their own, she was not known to be intoxicated, and she is with another person?
I understand the sister and her frustration. However, a compromised vulnerable 16 year old minor driving in the dead of night in a forest near water is a major priority.

Maybe because adults are allowed to go missing on their own, she was not known to be intoxicated, and she is with another person?
I understand the sister and her frustration. However, a compromised vulnerable 16 year old minor driving in the dead of night in a forest near water is a major priority.
Since cars are missing in both cases, my strongest theory is that both have had car accidents and not been found yet.

I recommend primarily focusing the search grid between the last ping location (near Poker Flats Rd and I-20) and the next possible ping location along Hammonton Smartsville Rd, the route they were most likely taking to return to Yuba City and their home within 30 minutes. I read one article the younger sister "spoke with" Janette but I'm not certain it was speech or text message based on other articles I've read. I'm going to assume it was text. Both phones aren't working and everything prior to disappearing appeared on schedule so I'm going to speculate everything was fine between the Janette and Juan. I'm going to assume they had a major accident forcing them off road or they were hijacked along the route. I hope they're safe and found soon! Just sayin'...Occam's razor!

Has anyone else noticed the number of missing persons cases from the past month or two in the general area? Can anyone familiar with this area comment if this is typical? Or if this is a larger number than normal. I was thinking about mapping them out, then wasn't sure because some of it is a heavily populated area.

I recommend primarily focusing the search grid between the last ping location (near Poker Flats Rd and I-20) and the next possible ping location along Hammonton Smartsville Rd, the route they were most likely taking to return to Yuba City and their home within 30 minutes. I read one article the younger sister "spoke with" Janette but I'm not certain it was speech or text message based on other articles I've read. I'm going to assume it was text. Both phones aren't working and everything prior to disappearing appeared on schedule so I'm going to speculate everything was fine between the Janette and Juan. I'm going to assume they had a major accident forcing them off road or they were hijacked along the route. I hope they're safe and found soon! Just sayin'...Occam's razor!
It seems like they had a really good relationship friend wise from what I have read. AWP has offered to help with this one too. So at least they are willing to help. But I am not seeing tons of bodies of water along that highway. Lot's of private properties it seems though with lots of land.

oh, i dont think this is related at all. but who knows.
I doubt they are related. The teen disappeared from a campground almost 50 miles East of where this couple's phone last pinged. Her destination was due north and not particularly far from where she went missing. Her phone last pinged by a lake, theirs on a stretch of well-traveled road.

According to KCRA 3; "Janette's current boyfriend spoke to her at around the same time, telling him she was 30 minutes away from home." Source: Here's what we know about the case of two people missing out of Yuba City

Was Janette's boyfriend accommodating to Janette being with her ex-boyfriend Juan on a day trip to Reno? Where was her boyfriend at the time the couple went missing and does he have a substantial alibi? Just sayin'...

Has anyone else noticed the number of missing persons cases from the past month or two in the general area? Can anyone familiar with this area comment if this is typical? Or if this is a larger number than normal. I was thinking about mapping them out, then wasn't sure because some of it is a heavily populated area.
it was hot august nights weekend. honestly though i dont think its been a larger number. just a few more have hit major news.

I doubt they are related. The teen disappeared from a campground almost 50 miles East of where this couple's phone last pinged. Her destination was due north and not particularly far from where she went missing. Her phone last pinged by a lake, theirs on a stretch of well-traveled road.
lol you dont need to tell me :) IMO its def not but stranger things.....

The phones last pinged in Western Nevada County at Poker Flat Road along Hwy 20 near Penn Valley, CA, not near Truckee.
Yes but still the same county. The two families reported them missing in Yuba County where they were from and heading to and reported them in Nevada County where they last pinged. Nevada county ends right before Smartsville which then it turns into Yuba County. Truckee is in Nevada County but a lot of information for that case is coming from Placer County since Kiely lived in Placer county but was last seen in Nevada County.

When I asked about overlap, I meant whether the physical search areas overlapped. Like if people searching for Kiely might run into information about JP and JA, or vice versa. And based on all this information, it sounds like probably not.
Ah Got cha. Sorry. Misunderstanding. I would think not. JP & JA would have driven through Truckee at some point, but that is probably about it. There is a very slim chance I guess they could be related since no one knows where KR went after that last phone call. If she was met with some stranger and they too also decided to head towards Yuba.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back