CA CA - Jean Spangler, 27, Los Angeles, Oct 1949

i just seen the M&S episode and is is pretty good. i already knew the info since i had already read this post for her. i am conflicted on what happened to her. either she had a fight with her ex and something happened (according to SIL, dexter had scratches on him) or she had an illegal abortion by a dr scott ,the clue would be in the note that was found. in her purse. the name kirk is interesting since kirk douglas called into the police before the called him (hmmmm) :thinking:

I haven't completely ruled out Kirk Douglas either. To be honest, I've never liked him that much. He's cocky, arrogant and known for roughing up women (read his autobiography and you'll see what I mean). That doesn't make him a killer, but his behavior after Jean's disappearance is suspicious. There are so many possibilities with this case.

My personal feeling is her ex killed her. It's possible that she was pregnant by someone with clout and that efforts to prevent him from being scandalized ended up compromising the investigation.

This is also a possibility. Spangler was planning to meet with him that day since his child support payments were late. When police interviewed Dexter Benner he had scratches on his face. He also picked up his daughter from the home in which Jean lived with her mother and never brought her back.

jean_spangler_1949_zpsmimsmud9.jpg

Jean and her daughter Christine:

jeanspanglerdaughterchristine_zpszuyimtih.jpg

Jean and her sister-in-law Sophie:

jeanspanglersophie22569908_136261005916_zpsw37ovqlz.jpg

Dexter Benner, Jean's ex-husband:

jeandxlook_zpsjv48pptg.jpg

Florence Spangler holding a photo of her missing daughter:

jeanspanglerxmjejnar8rtsjeax_zpsi42w0j5x.jpg

My personal feeling is her ex killed her. It's possible that she was pregnant by someone with clout and that efforts to prevent him from being scandalized ended up compromising the investigation.
People who had clout in Hollywood were people like Harry Cohn, Adolph Zukor, Sam Goldwyn, Jack Warner, and Lew Wasserman. Actors were essentially nobodies by comparison and were seen as totally replaceable. The studio bosses could make anybody a star. There is no chance that someone like Kirk Douglas could have made a murder investigation go away. A studio boss could have, but it's unlikely that one would have.
Since she apparently lied about her plans for the night she disappeared, I think she was up to something. My best guess would be that she was scheming a disappearance with Davy Ogul, the mobster who also vanished. The botched-abortion angle can't be ruled out, though; neither can an execution by criminals who thought she knew too much.

Botched abortion. It is easy to forget how prevalent abortions were when they were still illegal. In the 70's I worked with a woman in her 70's at the time. She herself had two abortions in the 1920's, although she was married at the time. Her sister died from a botched abortion, in the early 1930's.

Probably someone close to her knew it but no one would discuss it. At some point even arranging for, not just performing, an abortion was a felony. Not sure it that was true in the 40's when Jean disappeared, but it was true in the 60's. No one would be discussing what they knew about an illegal abortion.

I agree that an abortion was likely in the offing but that does not mean she was not murdered. There have been cases, John R. H. Christie for example, where an offered abortion was just an excuse the get a vulnerable woman in a position to be murdered.

Jean as a little girl

jeanspanglerasalittlegirl107377516_136439813932_zpslj5p8vur.jpg

Publicity photo

jeanspanglermystery_photo_071105_zpsr1r7xrbq.jpg

Jean and Jack Bailey

jeanspanglerjackbailey59e9535766fce684630d50de8aeacf1d_zpsnvj3pirs.jpg

Jean's purse, with the broken strap and the note addressed to Kirk, as it was found in Griffith Park

jean_spangler_purse_zpsjjhku669.jpg

I was doing a search on Ebay and came across this press photo of Jean's mother Florence being comforted by her other daughter after Jean's disappearance

florencespangler9982641_zpsxd3kzpz5.jpg

I wonder if the photo with Jack Bailey might be from the Queen For a Day TV program that began airing locally in LA in 1948. Does anyone know? The show eventually became nationally broadcast on TV 1956. It was also on radio starting in 1945.

Edit: I see one source says the photo was from 1946 so maybe it was a publicity shot for the radio program.

The most likely scenario is the ex-husband. The mob girl/abortion/hollywood shot caller/party girl angles are interesting but I really suspect those were floated and played up by Benner's attorney for custody purposes.

In reading through the LA Times coverage of the 1950 custody hearings, Benning (through his lawyer's actions) came off to me as ruthless, cold and vindictive - even by un-PC 1950's standards. He seemed hell-bent on dragging Jean's reputation through the mud. Keep in mind that his ex-wife had already been missing for a while. Benning was fighting against Jean's mom, his ex-mother-in-law who just wanted some visitation. Benning's lawyer was pointedly grilling Jean's mom about Jean's whereabouts as if she had just run away on a weekend bender. Benning also complained that grandma kept bringing up Christine's "real mother" during her visitation.Grandma not wanting her granddaughter to forget about Jean was apparently an unpardonable slap in the face to Dexter and his new wife. Finally, in the face of having to deal with a limited amount of court appointed visitation, Benning leaves California for Florida, never complying with the court, hiding in plain sight as best as I can tell. Jean's poor family kind of drops it and so Benning scores a defacto "win" in the custody case.

For decades, he lives a new life in Florida, never speaking of his missing ex-wife despite being approached for comment on a regular basis, I'm sure. Is that really lingering bitterness over their 3 year marriage/50 year old custody case or something else?

When E Television tracks him down, he has no comment and also says Christine has no comment. He has since passed away but his wife, kids and grand kids are all easily find-able. Neither Christine nor anyone else has ever commented on her famous biological mom, that I'm aware of. Even in death, no one dares entertain the idea that Dexter did anything but rescue Christine from a toxic situation.

It all paints the picture of someone who had a dominating personality, control issues and didn't like to lose. He wanted to start a new family with a new wife. The only thorn in his side was Jean. She didn't let him have Christine and had the gall to ask for more child support at a time when he just wanted to be done with her. PTSD may also be a factor in that he recently returned from WW2 combat. Was Dexter a support person in the armed forces? No, a pilot, of course. He liked to be in control.

He did not become a hermit in Florida. He was living his life in the open. Dexter went on to run his business and have a social life in Florida. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who interacted him after 1950 - suppliers, customers, guys from the yacht club, neighbors, fishing/golfing buddies, Kiwanis Club associates, etc. Was he an introverted good guy or an alpha male hard-*advertiser censored* who you crossed at your own risk? In 2001 Jean's sister said she was still scared of him and not comfortable speaking to E on camera.

My opinion is that he snapped under the pressures he was facing in California, went AWOL, got the family life he really wanted in Florida and went on to lead relatively normal life.

Dexter - I posthumously thank you for serving the US during WW2 but I think you were different things to different people.

Someone mentioned on one of the early pages of the thread that Jean's "Little Black Book" had been found and had many well known names in it. What happened to it?

The most likely scenario is the ex-husband. The mob girl/abortion/hollywood shot caller/party girl angles are interesting but I really suspect those were floated and played up by Benner's attorney for custody purposes.

In reading through the LA Times coverage of the 1950 custody hearings, Benning (through his lawyer's actions) came off to me as ruthless, cold and vindictive - even by un-PC 1950's standards. He seemed hell-bent on dragging Jean's reputation through the mud. Keep in mind that his ex-wife had already been missing for a while. Benning was fighting against Jean's mom, his ex-mother-in-law who just wanted some visitation. Benning's lawyer was pointedly grilling Jean's mom about Jean's whereabouts as if she had just run away on a weekend bender. Benning also complained that grandma kept bringing up Christine's "real mother" during her visitation.Grandma not wanting her granddaughter to forget about Jean was apparently an unpardonable slap in the face to Dexter and his new wife. Finally, in the face of having to deal with a limited amount of court appointed visitation, Benning leaves California for Florida, never complying with the court, hiding in plain sight as best as I can tell. Jean's poor family kind of drops it and so Benning scores a defacto "win" in the custody case.

For decades, he lives a new life in Florida, never speaking of his missing ex-wife despite being approached for comment on a regular basis, I'm sure. Is that really lingering bitterness over their 3 year marriage/50 year old custody case or something else?

When E Television tracks him down, he has no comment and also says Christine has no comment. He has since passed away but his wife, kids and grand kids are all easily find-able. Neither Christine nor anyone else has ever commented on her famous biological mom, that I'm aware of. Even in death, no one dares entertain the idea that Dexter did anything but rescue Christine from a toxic situation.

It all paints the picture of someone who had a dominating personality, control issues and didn't like to lose. He wanted to start a new family with a new wife. The only thorn in his side was Jean. She didn't let him have Christine and had the gall to ask for more child support at a time when he just wanted to be done with her. PTSD may also be a factor in that he recently returned from WW2 combat. Was Dexter a support person in the armed forces? No, a pilot, of course. He liked to be in control.

He did not become a hermit in Florida. He was living his life in the open. Dexter went on to run his business and have a social life in Florida. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who interacted him after 1950 - suppliers, customers, guys from the yacht club, neighbors, fishing/golfing buddies, Kiwanis Club associates, etc. Was he an introverted good guy or an alpha male hard-*advertiser censored* who you crossed at your own risk? In 2001 Jean's sister said she was still scared of him and not comfortable speaking to E on camera.

My opinion is that he snapped under the pressures he was facing in California, went AWOL, got the family life he really wanted in Florida and went on to lead relatively normal life.

Your theory is defi itely plausible. What do you think of the purse that was found? Sraged crime scene?

She has a Facebook page but no picture. I found it by searching Dextar Bennars obituary. Once I found the obituary I looked up one of Christine's son's on fb and then found Christine's page once I confirmed by a comment in one of the pictures of Daren that, that was indeed Christine's son.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back