PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014

Discussion in 'Humboldt County' started by Lilibet, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

2. somequestions

somequestions Active Member

Has there been any new information in the Jeff Joseph case? Any new searches with fall here and trees shedding their leaves?

The fact that he seemed to be driving before he and his green Toyota Rav4 disappeared has always made me think this case could be some type of accident, even though I know the area where he disappeared is known for drug activity. According to what I read on here his cell phone pinged off the Bloody Camp cell tower at 11:20am on the day he disappeared, and he had not gotten a lost of rest the night before(according to news reports I read). I think this case will be solved someday.

Lilibet likes this.
  3. Lilibet

I haven’t seen anything new except some posts on the FB page. Nothing about new searches.
    Help Find Jeff Joseph

I agree that an accident is certainly possible. Family seems to believe it’s foul play, partly based on the lack of cooperation by Jeff’s associates. I certainly hope it will be solved soon!

somequestions and Suglo like this.
  4. Lilibet

somequestions and Suglo like this.
  5. somequestions

Has anyone ever created a timeline of Jeff Joseph's trip from the night before, when he left up until his last known general location on June 21, 2014(supposedly the 11:20 am Bloody Camp cell phone tower ping)?

Sometimes what people do leading up to their disappearance is as important as the disappearance itself. I think Jeff Joseph's case would be a good case for the show Disappeared.

Lilibet likes this.
  6. Lilibet

Good idea. Here’s the original article with some info. Quoting:

According to his brother, David Joseph, Jeff flew into California on the 16th. Then after visiting with family until the 20th, he told an uncle that he was headed to Arcata and then afterwards, he said, he would go on to Eureka. He never arrived at his destination.

Jeff’s last cell phone call was on the morning of June 21. (He last accessed his email about the same time.) The family was able to access his phone records and believes he made the cell phone call from Redding.

Louisiana Man Believed Missing Was Headed to Humboldt County

More times from this article. Quoting:

Joseph’s phone records show cell phone tower pinging that is consistent with him driving up I-5 on the 20th and apparently stopping in Sacramento for some time.

Then, later, the cell tower records show a ping from near Williams. But Cook says they don’t know what route he took from there. Cook said that Joseph made a call to an acquaintance on the East Coast about 7:30 a.m. on the 21st and shortly later texted a friend in Louisiana. The first acquaintance stated that Joseph said he driven all night from Southern California, he was in good spirits and “killing time” waiting to meet up with someone. The next ping from Joseph’s phone comes about 11:20 a.m. from the Bloody Camp Cell Tower. The cell tower is about 20 miles from Joseph’s intended destination and provides coverage for a large area.

There has been no phone activity since 11:20 on the morning of the 21st, Cook noted. But the phone records have been helpful. “It narrows down our search somewhat,” Cook explained.
    BBM
    Missing Man's Phone Last Pinged off Bloody Camp Cell Tower Near Hoopa

In the post linked below, I discuss the times mentioned in the article above and show that the time from the 7:30 a.m. phone call (assumed to be from Redding) to the 11:20 ping would mean that he would have driven 299. Other routes would take longer.

CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Calixo and somequestions like this.
  7. somequestions

I looked at your post regarding possible routes and have to agree that 299 appears the most logical route to take to get to his destination, either in Arcata or Eureka. The problem is we really have no idea where Jeff Joseph might have gone after he left the Redding area. Maybe he decided to do some sight seeing? According to google maps it only takes about 3 hours to travel from Redding, CA to the Arcata/Eureka, CA area if you drive straight through without stopping(using 299).

Since the cell phone either died or went off sometime after 11:20 am, I would personally would want to search anywhere 299 crosses or is close to a body of water from where his cell phone would have entered the Bloody Camp reception area to his destination in Arcata or Eureka. Was this done?

If this was done and assuming police scoured Rt. 299 and did not find his green Toyota Rav 4 above ground, I think I would a lot more likely to agree that there might have been foul play involved in his disappearance. Whatever the answer is, it is a very strange disappearance.

Lilibet likes this.
  8. Lilibet

Yes, it certainly is a strange and sad disappearance.

Along 299 after Willow Creek it is quite high above the creeks below, winding and steep. A crash along there is possible. There isn’t another river until the Mad River just past the town of Blue Lake, when the road levels out more. I don’t know for sure if his friends searched this area.

If Jeff didn’t go toward Arcata, he would have crossed the Trinity River at Hoopa and the Klamath River at Weitchpec along Highway 96 after leaving 299 at Willow Creek. The highway follows those rivers closely. At that time of year, I’m not sure the river would have been swift enough to carry his car very far, but anything is possible. I believe his friends searched along 299 from Redding for signs of a crash and helicopters searched closer to his destination after the leaves fell in the autumn. Of course, if his car is upside down, covered in leaves it would be hard to spot.

I really don’t think he went to Arcata/Eureka. If he went straight from Redding at 7:30 to Arcata (almost 3 hours) and turned right around and went to Weitchpec (1 hour 20 minutes), it likely would have been later than 11:20 when his phone pinged off the Bloody Camp cell tower near Hoopa, about 20 miles from his destination past Weitchpec. It’s an hour from Arcata to Hoopa at best...awful road. I suppose if the Bloody Camp tower reaches as far as Willow Creek (44 minutes from Arcata), it’s possible. But it would still be a quick turn around in Arcata and I don’t think he would want to drive that road again without a break.

If he didn’t crash in some hidden place, it could be that he met with the person he was planning to meet sometime after he was on the phone at 7:30. Who and where that person was is the mystery, although his family has named someone (mentioned earlier on the thread). Just because his phone pinged from a tower near Hoopa, doesn’t mean Jeff was with his phone. :(

Missing Man's Phone Last Pinged off Bloody Camp Cell Tower Near Hoopa

somequestions, Calixo and Suglo like this.