CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

argggh I have a note about it all, but not the times or what video... I found where he talks about what they were talking about during the lunch... around 1 minute or so... I don't know if this is the only time he said what they did at lunch... but it's some of it... looking for the "desk" comment one.. will post when I find it :)

ETA: the comment about Joey calling him about the electrical stuff when he got home and was sitting at his desk at home is at 7:30 of this video.

2. citygirl

citygirl Well-Known Member

Interesting. He talks of Joey being so sick, lying in bed with his laptop, in San Clemente. Then a month before they disappear he says Joey rallied to play soccer once or twice. It was easier than playing paint ball. Paint ball you had to bend your knees and get down lower. Much more strenuous. When does he add that he was in the Trooper six weeks before the disappearance going to play paint ball?

3. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

BBM - when he was asked if and when the last time he was in the Trooper was .... haha I actually have a note about the "lying in bed with his laptop" comment.... because Sequieda made a comment about them laying in bed doing business.

oceanblueeyes, jash and Longtimenoc like this.
  4. MrsPC

MrsPC Well-Known Member

Is there an audio of today's hearings? or were there any hearings?

oceanblueeyes and Karinna like this.
  5. Karinna

Karinna Well-Known Member

Wasn't that hearing just between the Judge & counsel?

6. Cricket28

Cricket28 Well-Known Member

But the defense's theory is they were not killed at the house.

minusfour and oceanblueeyes like this.
  7. Karinna

Karinna Well-Known Member

Then i wonder how they explain Merritt's vehicle being at the McStay home as was recently verified by the expert at trial?
    If the McStay family were murdered somewhere else, there is no evidence of that either, just a theory.

8. Cricket28

Cricket28 Well-Known Member

RSBM BBM

Very Interesting!

9. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

Hi Katydid.
    I no longer know where any of Joey's or Summer's family live.
    What I do know, as a Southern Californian, is that the traffic here is horrendous.
    No joke.
    I would be surprised if any family members could attend this trial without at least an hours commute each way.
    These are busy families trying to make a living. While raising their children and grandchildren.
    I have no doubt that the way this trial has been conducted, that it's caused a large hardship for all of them.
    As we trial followers complain about the stupid way this trial has been conducted, can you even imagine how the victims are coping?
    I can only hope that this judge takes control of his court room and all of the attorneys.
    Perhaps he should also find a dentist that works on weekends so 12 jurors and the alternates and the victim's families do not have to rearrange their lives and schedules to a accommodate this judge with teeth problems.

10. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

I really miss that about my kids now they are older!

We are purging some childhood stuff and it really cuts to see the line up of VIP cuddlies from over the years. Some of them were such special friends ever present on every trip

11. mrjitty

Yes exactly.

I was thinking of a business meeting i had about a year ago - a significant one. The detail has dimmed but some stuff is still vivid.

So yes I can describe it from an analytical level - renegotiating a contract

But I can also remember where everyone sat. Their mood. Outlines of the points they made. What the outcome was.

I can't remember all the words - but i can still remember the gist of specific sentences from key moments.

12. mrjitty

Interesting!

I think this veers into so-called "statement analysis" where you are analysing specific words.

I'm more of a broad brush guy.

13. mrjitty

@Tortoise

Slowly getting through your great transcripts. There is just so much fascinating stuff in there. I am tempted to make an annotation of it. For example

This is such blatant tailoring and witness tampering

14. mrjitty

Perhaps what is even more interesting is that the TV room alibi is being cut from whole cloth in the year 2019

Shouldn't Chase and CJ have "remembered" this a bit sooner?

Something that also fascinates me is why it is so key that Chase didn't see the 8.30pm "last call" and has no memory of it.

Yet in interviews he said he did see the call

Why is it critical that only Cathy saw it?

Can it be in order to preserve his position if the jury believes the phone never rang?

15. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what they're trying to prove, but it's a bit silly with painters tape, the hooded towel, other towels & shaggy mat in the grave, no shoes & state of attire of the victims, last signs of life, truck leaving, cheque creation etc.

Specifically the cheque creation, because with the open office window, the truck's brake lights, and then the cheque creation and deletion, the killer was unlikely to leave four alive victims in the truck to go back inside the house for half an hour and have no worry his captives would make no movement or noise. It sure as heck wouldn't have been Joey calling Chase at 8.28 pm - he'd have been calling the police if he had access to his phone.

JMO

16. mrjitty

The idea that it was some hostage scenario has always been a bit Hollywood

17. Tortoise

With Cathy's testimony we now learn that after the 13 calls between Chase and Cathy in the ten minutes before 1 o' clock, there were another 8 calls between them between 1 and 2 pm, and during that time he didn't tell her he was at lunch with Joey. That's 21 calls in about an hour.

So now we have Joey arriving in Rancho Cucamonga at 12.52 pm, and no indication that he met Joey for the first hour up until 2 pm, and a call from Joey to Chase at 3 pm as Joey was leaving.

I smell BS!

And let's not forget Chase already had the cheque from the middle of that batch of serial numbers on the 2nd.

18. mrjitty

How many calls happened between chase and CJ between 5.30pm and 9.30?

19. Tortoise

I think if you've got two people involved in any situation and one of them knows he wasn't there (Chase), he would have to allow for her so-called recall of the situation to change when new evidence emerges, such as proof from experts the call wasn't received, or a new witness saying she told them they'd argued about a missed call the week before, or Cathy was at work, or anything that mucks up her evidence such as Cathy breaking down and admitting on the stand it didn't happen. If he has aligned himself with what he knows to be her false-memory and she is discredited in the trial, he isn't then taken down by colluding with her.

He also knows what he has said previously, and so he has had to settle on one explanation that encompasses all the lies and adaptations of the lies he's told along the way.

JMO

20. Tortoise

It was definitely 5 but could have been 6, her calling him, all went to voicemail. The sixth call was from a different number but I'm not sure if they've said it was Cathy, in which case she'd have been using a different phone.

Interesting that in her cross it was put to her that they'd changed phone carriers on Feb 17th, but she couldn't remember that. Panic stations by the sounds of it. Or coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.