CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense's unsupported theory that Joey was teaching CM how to write himself checks out of Joey's own QB account just doesnt pass the test of reasonableness. The jury is very aware of this defendant's past history.

And I certainly believe most jurors are very reasonable minded people who are able to cut through all of the fluff filler to get to the heart of the matter.

Didnt CM also use QB in his own shoddy business?

I do think the jury will decide who they think most likely stole the missing computer.

The state doesn't have to name anyone as the thief. The jury will be able to infer who that individual is based on all of the other evidence entered. They will decide who had the most opportunity to remove it at the time they all disappeared from their home. It sure wasn't DK. Yes, I 100 percent believe DK was in Hawaii. I've seen no evidence showing otherwise.

As far as the IP address nothing was proven either way except inconsistencies. Not one thing. Anytime the information isnt consistent or flawed it becomes garbage in, garbage out for jurors. Imo

They will not consider any evidence that is not verified or consistent one way or the other. The McStay IP showed it cant be relied upon. Imo.

Imo the state was able to prove the witness' own biases, and proved it quite well imo.

Imo, so another defense witness turned out better for the state than for the defense. It's obvious he is a very high priced, and way overpaid, imo, who only testifies for the defense. I can certainly see why that is the case.

The assumption without any supporting evidence that DK did this is falling faster than flies, imo.

Imo the state is letting them put all of this out there, like iffy IP addresses, which really shows nothing more than they can be inconsistent. Etc.

Hawaii is filled with people who constantly love taking photos of what they are doing while there. Also plenty of CCTV all around Hawaii.

So I say, stay tuned. The best is yet to come.

Imo

Reading it carefully, I think they are going to try to argue Joey did the one on the 1st as a test case that was never cashed to "teach chase"

Then Chase did all the rest.

Of course this doesn't really make sense - is there any evidence they were together on the 1st?
The evidence that I have noted is -

Monday Feb 1st

First cheques (say 1 and 2) created - both for $2,500 - never banked but both printed - time period 12.24 to 12.52 pm

12.24 lowercase vendor added
12.34 created chq 1
12.37 created chq 2
12.38 printed chq 2
12.47 deleted chq 2
12.48 printed chq 1
12.52 deleted chq 1

Merritt's phone did not leave his home towers in Rancho all day.

During that time period Joey had the following phone activity [note this comes from the timeline thread] :-

12:19 pm - incoming call from EIP 9 mins [12.19 to 12.28]
12:33 pm - incoming text from Guy J
12:41 pm - call to Boston, MA 18 mins [12.41 to 12.59]
1:03 pm - call to CM 11 min

Observations -

Joey sent the 'Chase overpaid' email to CM at 11.42 am
Joey's calls in and out overlap with the tasks
The call to CM at 1.03 pm indicates they were not together
The two cheques were created before any cheque printing was done so it wasn't that one failed so another was tried
Printing would not accord with a test deletion run
The next day Joey gave CM a handwritten cheque for $100.

Tuesday February 2nd

Cheques ( say 3 and 4) created - time period 11.27 to 11.34 am

11.27 created chq 3 $0 [speculate he forgot to fill in the amount]
11.28 printed chq 3 $0
00.00 deleted chq 3 (unknown time)
11.29 created chq 4 $2495 - CASHED on 2nd at Union Bank
11.34 printed chq 4
11.34 deleted chq 4

Merritt's phone :-

9.22 am to 10.01 am - At Joey's residence
11.10 am to 12.04 pm - home towers in Rancho
12.34 pm to 12.47 pm - near Azusa (20 miles west of home)
1.14 pm to 1.45 pm - home towers in Rancho
2.26 pm - near Azusa
3.33 pm to 6 pm - to San Bernardino (20 miles east of home) and back home again

McGyver saw CM at Joey's house that morning.
Joey gave CM a handwritten chq for $100 - deposited at Bank of America on the 3rd.

Going back to my theory that Merritt planned this months ahead, and that he went there on the 2nd to murder them (the day he printed and cashed the first cheque) but McGyver was there painting, I was interested to see that on the 3rd Merritt's phone was pinging by their house again even though he didn't stop and visit -

8.31 am - tower 1.6 miles south and to the west of the McStay residence
8.33 am - tower covering the McStay residence
8.34 to 9.32 am - following towers on the route north from Fallbrook to Rancho Cucamonga.

McGyver testified that he got there about 8.30 am and didn't see Merritt on that date.

Going back to my theory that Merritt planned this months ahead, and that he went there on the 2nd to murder them (the day he printed and cashed the first cheque) but McGyver was there painting, I was interested to see that on the 3rd Merritt's phone was pinging by their house again even though he didn't stop and visit -

8.34 to 9.32 am - following towers on the route north from Fallbrook to Rancho Cucamonga.

McGyver testified that he got there about 8.30 am and didn't see Merritt on that date.

Great analysis T!

The "alternative accounting" theory is at best wild speculation, at worst complete fabrication.

There is no evidence that Joey was trying to hide cheques from DK - this is something only CM can testify to.

Goosebumps reading this.

I learn something new every time you post.

Wow, I never knew CM was lurking around Joey's home on the 3rd. It sounds like he was planning to do the murders on the 3rd, but McGyver being there thwarted it from happening that day.

It gives me chills to know Joey, and his family were totally unaware CM was in the area of their home stalking them, while planning their demise.

Thank you again for laying it out so clearly.

Imo

It's interesting, but it should also be noted that McG said he didn't get there until 8:30 - 9:00... which could mean that Chase was there before McG got there.

ETA: 39:00 ish of Day 5 part 1.

This is so creepy!

Great analysis T!

The "alternative accounting" theory is at best wild speculation, at worst complete fabrication.

There is no evidence that Joey was trying to hide cheques from DK - this is something only CM can testify to.
The other thing they have to get around is that Merritt is on record telling the detectives that the new QB was for Joey to hide his wealth from Summer.

Not that I believe any of it but that was Merritt's story in February 2010 before he had a falling out with Dan.

How do they go from that to Joey changing QB to hide his accounts from Dan? Assuming Merritt won't be testifying to change his lie, how do they even get a whiff of that new BS under the jury's nose?

JMO

The tower hits show he was driving and didn't stop at that time.
But his first tower hit that morning was at 8:31, we have nothing from before that, right? So who is to say that he wasn't there at 7:30? or 8?
51:50 of Day 22 Part 5 Boles

The defense's unsupported theory that Joey was teaching CM how to write himself checks out of Joey's own QB account just doesnt pass the test of reasonableness. The jury is very aware of this defendant's past history.

And I certainly believe most jurors are very reasonable minded people who are able to cut through all of the fluff filler to get to the heart of the matter.

Didnt CM also use QB in his own shoddy business?

I do think the jury will decide who they think most likely stole the missing computer.

The state doesn't have to name anyone as the thief. The jury will be able to infer who that individual is based on all of the other evidence entered. They will decide who had the most opportunity to remove it at the time they all disappeared from their home. It sure wasn't DK. Yes, I 100 percent believe DK was in Hawaii. I've seen no evidence showing otherwise.

As far as the IP address nothing was proven either way except inconsistencies. Not one thing. Anytime the information isnt consistent or flawed it becomes garbage in, garbage out for jurors. Imo

They will not consider any evidence that is not verified or consistent one way or the other. The McStay IP showed it cant be relied upon. Imo.

Imo the state was able to prove the witness' own biases, and proved it quite well imo.

Imo, so another defense witness turned out better for the state than for the defense. It's obvious he is a very high priced, and way overpaid, imo, who only testifies for the defense. I can certainly see why that is the case.

The assumption without any supporting evidence that DK did this is falling faster than flies, imo.

Imo the state is letting them put all of this out there, like iffy IP addresses, which really shows nothing more than they can be inconsistent. Etc.

Hawaii is filled with people who constantly love taking photos of what they are doing while there. Also plenty of CCTV all around Hawaii.

So I say, stay tuned. The best is yet to come.

Imo
BBM, There has been speculation that the missing computer was stolen by CM, and was the computer he was writing his book on, all 7 chapters. If that's the case i don't think it's the same computer that CJ had stored at her mother's place IMO.
It was possibly another laptop that JM had that was missing from their home from what i read elsewhere?
But i do know the killer certainly got rid of JM's wallet, SM's purse, and also the credit cards that were missing, as per what LE had stated.
Also agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
But his first tower hit that morning was at 8:31, we have nothing from before that, right? So who is to say that he wasn't there at 7:30? or 8?
I don't understand the purpose of you challenging this. If you wish to speculate he actually visited without basis in any evidence such as stationary phone pings you are free to do so.

It doesn't change anything - he was in the vicinity of the house on the morning of the 3rd also.

So even if he did visit at an earlier unsociable hour he would have found out that McGyver was expected.

From my understanding DK took money out to help keep JM's business going while he was missing. Same as SB was doing and had at that time had CM & DK helping her to do that. Not aware then that CM was the culprit that murdered her family members, and CM stole a further $5,000 from SB, and promised he would pay her back but never did.
I don't believe Dan did this, but he is no choir boy. Apparently and noted in various online complaints after the family went missing, he scammed buyers who had ordered fountains. In all cases noted, the buyers never received fountains after giving Dan payment.

Having said that, It wouldn't surprise me if he skimmed some money from Joey's accounts once he realized he probably wasn't coming back.

Well, that could be something Chase could clear up for us. He could say "Ha Ha! I was there all morning!" The follow up question of why would be difficult to answer.

It's interesting when I look up the IP 70.95.65.75 I get this

Country Code: US
Region: HI
City: Lihue

But also this range info - Bold emphasis mine

Range: 70.92.0.0 - 70.95.255.255

OrgName: Charter Communications Inc
OrgId: CC-3517
Address: 6399 S. Fiddler's Green Circle
City: Greenwood Village
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80111
RegDate: 2018-10-10
Updated: 2018-11-27
Comment: Legacy Time Warner Cable IP Assets
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/CC-3517

The ISP linked to the IP range is a company called Spectrum who also seem to be one of the main internet broadband providers in Hawaii

So I wonder if this IP range or part of it was at some time assigned to Hi and Lihue for that specific IP but was later moved - as one list still links it to that area and I don't see why that lookup can exist unless historically.

And all of it appears to be fixed line cable stuff.

Last edited:
I don't believe Dan did this, but he is no choir boy. Apparently and noted in various online complaints after the family went missing, he scammed buyers who had ordered fountains. In all cases noted, the buyers never received fountains after giving Dan payment.

Having said that, It wouldn't surprise me if he skimmed some money from Joey's accounts once he realized he probably wasn't coming back.
Seeing as JM's family organized to keep JM's EIP business afloat not knowing where their family members were at that time, and including CM & DK to help with that, i would think if SB or MM had any issue with DK transferring money from JM's account to himself, and they are now obviously aware of that, don't you think they could or would litigate against him in civil court to recoup their losses? Being family members and victims of the murdered family they would have every right to do so, and take both CM & DK to court and sue them for fraud . And of course for CM pending the outcome of this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie