CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice house. 5 bedrooms, pool. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it.

Property Overview - Excellent opportunity in a desirable area of Rancho Cucamonga. Located in a quiet Cul-de-Sac street, this 2 story Home features 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. One master bedroom is situated on the main floor and a second master suite is on the second floor, with a walk-in closet and separate entry door from downstairs. It could be a perfect fit for 2 families or a great return for Investors. Freshly painted inside and out. Entire home was remodeled 6 years ago, including double pane windows, recessed lights,

Property Features
Bedrooms
  • Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms
  • Total Bathrooms: 3
  • Full Bathrooms: 3
  • Bathroom 2 Description: 0
Exterior and Lot Features
  • Sidewalks
  • Patio And Porch Features: Covered
  • Lot Size Square Feet: 11700
Appliances
  • Laundry Features: Laundry Utilities: Gas & Electric Dryer HU
Heating and Cooling
  • Fireplace Features: Fireplace: FP in Living Room
Interior Features
  • Granite Counters
Pool and Spa
  • Pool Features: Below Ground, Private, See Remarks, Pool Cover
Garage and Parking
  • Number of Garage Spaces: 2
  • Garage Description: Garage
  • Parking Total: 2
Land Info
  • Lot Size Acres: 0.2686
Condo Info
  • Unit Location: No Common Walls
Other Property Info
  • Source Listing Status: SOLD
  • County: San Bernardino
  • Directions: From 210 fwy take Archibald exit North, turn right onto Lemon and turn left onto Filkins.
  • Source Property Type: Detached
  • Parcel Number: 0201362020000
  • Source System Name: C2C
Building and Construction
  • Square Feet Living: 1750
  • Year Built: 1964
  • Flooring: Tile
  • Levels: Stories: 2 Story
  • Property Age: 55
  • Roof: Composition, Shingle
  • Levels or Stories: 2
  • Structure Type: RESIDENTIAL
Utilities
  • Sewer: Public Sewer
Home Features
  • Other Equipment: Equipment: Disposal, Refrigerator, Gas Range
See Less
Public Records
  • Beds: 5
  • Rooms: 9
  • House size: 1,750 sq ft
  • Stories: 2
  • Lot size: 11700
  • Garage: Attached Garage
  • Heating: Central
  • Cooling: Evaporative
  • Construction: Wood Frame
  • Year built: 1964
  • Year renovated: 1964
  • Property type: Single family
  • Style: Modern
  • Date updated: 04/16/2019
  • Units: 1
  • Pool: Yes
And it was sold on 9/14/2009

ETA: And it is at the end of a cul-de-sac. Chilling.

Last edited:
Nice house. 5 bedrooms, pool. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it.

Property Overview - Excellent opportunity in a desirable area of Rancho Cucamonga. Located in a quiet Cul-de-Sac street, this 2 story Home features 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. One master bedroom is situated on the main floor and a second master suite is on the second floor, with a walk-in closet and separate entry door from downstairs. It could be a perfect fit for 2 families or a great return for Investors. Freshly painted inside and out. Entire home was remodeled 6 years ago, including double pane windows, recessed lights,

Property Features
Bedrooms
  • Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms
  • Total Bathrooms: 3
  • Full Bathrooms: 3
  • Bathroom 2 Description: 0
Exterior and Lot Features
  • Sidewalks
  • Patio And Porch Features: Covered
  • Lot Size Square Feet: 11700
Appliances
  • Laundry Features: Laundry Utilities: Gas & Electric Dryer HU
Heating and Cooling
  • Fireplace Features: Fireplace: FP in Living Room
Interior Features
  • Granite Counters
Pool and Spa
  • Pool Features: Below Ground, Private, See Remarks, Pool Cover
Garage and Parking
  • Number of Garage Spaces: 2
  • Garage Description: Garage
  • Parking Total: 2
Land Info
  • Lot Size Acres: 0.2686
Condo Info
  • Unit Location: No Common Walls
Other Property Info
  • Source Listing Status: SOLD
  • County: San Bernardino
  • Directions: From 210 fwy take Archibald exit North, turn right onto Lemon and turn left onto Filkins.
  • Source Property Type: Detached
  • Parcel Number: 0201362020000
  • Source System Name: C2C
Building and Construction
  • Square Feet Living: 1750
  • Year Built: 1964
  • Flooring: Tile
  • Levels: Stories: 2 Story
  • Property Age: 55
  • Roof: Composition, Shingle
  • Levels or Stories: 2
  • Structure Type: RESIDENTIAL
Utilities
  • Sewer: Public Sewer
Home Features
  • Other Equipment: Equipment: Disposal, Refrigerator, Gas Range
See Less
Public Records
  • Beds: 5
  • Rooms: 9
  • House size: 1,750 sq ft
  • Stories: 2
  • Lot size: 11700
  • Garage: Attached Garage
  • Heating: Central
  • Cooling: Evaporative
  • Construction: Wood Frame
  • Year built: 1964
  • Year renovated: 1964
  • Property type: Single family
  • Style: Modern
  • Date updated: 04/16/2019
  • Units: 1
  • Pool: Yes
6210 Filkins Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737 - realtor.com®

Just a snippet of her testimony

RM: What about recreation activities, you said there was movies, if you need other things of that nature, was there also other things you could do recreationally?

CJ: Yes there was a pool there was barbecues, there was all kinds of stuff.

RM: Now was this, would you say an upgrade from the Filkins Avenue address to this address?

CJ: It was definitely a nice complex I mean I preferred our house on Filkins that was, we [ran?] a rent-to-own there that fell, ended up falling through and that was kind of where I had planned on you know raising my kids, all my hopes and dreams had been at that house but I mean this was a nice complex to move to.

RM: Was there good amenities for the kids then?

CJ: Absolutely yes.

Just a snippet of her testimony

RM: What about recreation activities, you said there was movies, if you need other things of that nature, was there also other things you could do recreationally?

CJ: Yes there was a pool there was barbecues, there was all kinds of stuff.

RM: Now was this, would you say an upgrade from the Filkins Avenue address to this address?

CJ: It was definitely a nice complex I mean I preferred our house on Filkins that was, we [ran?] a rent-to-own there that fell, ended up falling through and that was kind of where I had planned on you know raising my kids, all my hopes and dreams had been at that house but I mean this was a nice complex to move to.

RM: Was there good amenities for the kids then?

CJ: Absolutely yes.

How much was Chase blowing in gambling as he was earning a good wage with Joey so to be flat out broke and in debt is awful.

Why on earth she would stay with somebody who was constantly letting her down is sad as well. Give me a woman like Summer who has balls anyday of the week who isn’t afraid to speak her mind.

And they paid over $500k only 3 years prior. Then sold for $255k in 2009. They must have still been making payments on that mortgage.
I am not clear if it was them who actually purchased the house though. Jarvis testified to a rent-to-own situation. They may have actually been renting the property.

So the Motions hearing on 4/19 was moved to 4/23? Or did something "happen" in court on Friday?

TIA! Just want to keep my notes straight! :) Here's what I have:

4/19/19 Day none: Motions hearing without jurors. CSR Directed to prepare transcript of proceedings.

So the Motions hearing on 4/19 was moved to 4/23? Or did something "happen" in court on Friday?

TIA! Just want to keep my notes straight! :) Here's what I have:

4/19/19 Day none: Motions hearing without jurors. CSR Directed to prepare transcript of proceedings.

In looking at the Portal Minute Order, it shows there were no appearances by any of the attorneys and the defendant was not present for yesterday’s motion hearing. Yet the court portal shows “Held.” Next Motion Hearing scheduled for the 24th for Quash SDT - Google/Microsoft. Maybe yesterday was just to reschedule the motion hearing?

I am not clear if it was them who actually purchased the house though. Jarvis testified to a rent-to-own situation. They may have actually been renting the property.
Precisely, in analyzing the CA assessed value it appears they entered into a "rent-to-own" agreement at a price much lower than the $500k. As typical, during that period of time in SoCal, the agreed upon price would reflect a need for significant repairs and updating. Most likely in the range of $350-$450. The tenant would put in required updates and repairs sufficient to raise the home value above their negotiated price and then secure a loan to finalize the sale. Many such deals happened during the 2004-2010 era as it became incredibly difficult to purchase reasonably priced homes in the area. Sadly, many people then lost their down payment and "sweat equity" when they were unable to secure a mortgage because the home values declined as mortgage rates and qualifying criteria increased.

The US experienced a housing bubble collapse in late 2008. Almost all real estate lost 1/3 of its value at that time.

Especially homes out in the Inland Empire. There was a huge increase in Real Estate prices in the early 2000's because of the speculation that many people who worked in the city of LA area would rather commute, and buy a home an hour or two out of the City.

So housing prices began increasing and soon everyone was investing heavily, buying them up as fast as they could. At some point the bubble burst, and everyone was left with upside down mortgages.

It makes me so sad that Joey would of given Chase the shirt off his back if he had asked him and in return he brutally kills his entire family.

I seriously struggle to understand how evil some people are.

Asyousay, I long have struggled with the same thing. I think it's best we don't understand how anyone could be so cruel, and downright evil to the core. Its beyond our comprehension for a valid reason. It shows none of us have the same mindset of murderers like CM so therefore we will never understand.

I remember watching a case on ID, and the murderer shot a little boy, at close blank range right between his eyes. LE believed the little boy was looking straight into the eyes of his killer when he murdered him.

It reminded me of little J jr., and G as they faced their own killer. I can't get out of my mind how terrified they must have been. They may have lived their short lives never being yelled at so they had to be so confused why CM was hurting them, when their parents were were their rocks that always gave them unconditional love, and a feeling of security.

I pray more than anything that he didnt force Joey, and Summer to watch as he killed their little boys, but in my heart of hearts, I truly do think he did it right in front of them, knowing they were helpless to stop the barbaric way he murdered them.

I feel both Joey, and Summer knew death was coming for them, and at that point they both knew the only way to have peace is when death came for them too. It truly is one of the most heart ripping cases I've followed.

The presence of evil permeated every square inch of that once happy home the second CM walked through their door. Even the air had to become dense as he sucked all of the life out of the home.

All I can do is pray it was all quick, but even that is merely wishful thinking on my part because deep down I think he relished in prolonging all of it.

He was the master in control over all of them, and he knew he could do whatever he wanted for as long as he wanted with no one to stop him.

And yes, I believe before finally murdering Summer he brutally sexually assaulted her first right in front of Joey.

No fictional horror show could even begin to compare to what all 4 of the the McStay family endured at the hands of such a cruel, sadistic, depraved, unrelenting monster.

CM is the perfect example of the dark truth showing how truly rotten evil people walk among all of the good.

It is truly one of the worst murder cases I've followed.

As you have said Joey was the kind of man that would have given the shirt off of his back to help others.

Another good family destroyed when evil crossed their path, and replaced all of the goodness within with their own dark evil.

Jmo

Last edited:
In looking at the Portal Minute Order, it shows there were no appearances by any of the attorneys and the defendant was not present for yesterday’s motion hearing. Yet the court portal shows “Held.” Next Motion Hearing scheduled for the 24th for Quash SDT - Google/Microsoft. Maybe yesterday was just to reschedule the motion hearing?

24th or 23rd? I thought I saw 23rd on that last post of yours from the court site??

We're fast running out of days. I think they may run over their estimate of the jury having the case by the end of this month. I've just remembered they said they were going to play his later LE interview, albeit they were going to see if they could agree on which parts could be cut out.

Precisely, in analyzing the CA assessed value it appears they entered into a "rent-to-own" agreement at a price much lower than the $500k. As typical, during that period of time in SoCal, the agreed upon price would reflect a need for significant repairs and updating. Most likely in the range of $350-$450. The tenant would put in required updates and repairs sufficient to raise the home value above their negotiated price and then secure a loan to finalize the sale. Many such deals happened during the 2004-2010 era as it became incredibly difficult to purchase reasonably priced homes in the area. Sadly, many people then lost their down payment and "sweat equity" when they were unable to secure a mortgage because the home values declined as mortgage rates and qualifying criteria increased.
Can you dumb this down for me, Travel? What would they being paying monthly. The reason I ask is because they ended up paying 4 grand a month for the new apartment. Not cheap,IMO.

Can you dumb this down for me, Travel? What would they being paying monthly. The reason I ask is because they ended up paying 4 grand a month for the new apartment. Not cheap,IMO.
There is no way to know the details of their rent-to-own agreement, unless the former owner or CM wants to make the info public. It's not that different from any lease agreement for a home or apartment. I can only guess, based upon experience and property records. They were not the buyer in 2006 @$505k and they were not the seller in 2009 @$226k. Average rent for homes in that area, at that time and of similar condition, averaged $2300 - $2900 per month. Their apartment was smaller and had more amenities, but most people form an attachment to a home they own vs. an apartment, where you will only live temporarily. Living in CA is much more expensive than most of the U.S. and owning property is a better guarantee against rising inflation. It would also be unfair to assume they were paying the current market rent at their apartment. I don't know when they moved in, but they may have signed a lease for much less. jmho

Last edited:
We're fast running out of days. I think they may run over their estimate of the jury having the case by the end of this month. I've just remembered they said they were going to play his later LE interview, albeit they were going to see if they could agree on which parts could be cut out.
I was thinking the same, probably into the first week or two of May. Didn't they say they were planning on having the entire enterrogation (8 hours?) to play for the jury? And the whole CNN interview?

I was thinking the same, probably into the first week or two of May. Didn't they say they were planning on having the entire enterrogation (8 hours?) to play for the jury? And the whole CNN interview?
I think they said they were going to see if they could shorten it. I don't know about the CNN interview, but I think I remember the judge saying something like good luck with that.

The problem is the segment that the state played didn't appear to have been cut or taken out of context - You were the last? - I was definitely the last. So I don't see how the rest of it is relevant to his defense or could improve what he said.

And it was sold on 9/14/2009

ETA: And it is at the end of a cul-de-sac. Chilling.
I suspect the owners lost the house and were forced to do a short sale which means Merritt, et al lost their lease option. There's no way a "normal" sale for less than $300K took place, especially in that area. The apartment they moved in to was probably in the $2000 a month range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member