CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #17

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

Yes - i said as much in my post.

However, the 3rd party dev access does in fact give the developer pretty much full access (depending on how many permissions Joey gave) so I was wondering if DK had coded payment requests and other things into sales reporting. So in other words, he might have accessed paypal functionality via the EIP site rather than on the Paypal cloud

One thing we do know is he sent various payment requests to Joey which needed to be approved on Joey's side. Someone must have logged in with Joey's ID to approve those. Wonder what the IP address was?

MsBetsy, QueenBofOB, geevee and 2 others like this.
  2. mrjitty

This is where it is so frustrating not to have the exhibits

I would love to know if they identified API vs Human logins, and what user ID was used for the website API

QueenBofOB and Karinna like this.
  3. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Well-Known Member

VPN? I wonder who would have had Joey's password to log into Paypal.

Do you mean 3rd party developer access to the domain, the website or Paypal?

I'm not sure I follow you as to why Joey would be giving Dan permissions, when Dan was the one who set the whole website/checkout up?

Are you saying that Dan would have had access to EIP Paypal funds from the back end? How does that work?

4. mrjitty

IIRC no one had it - someone reset it - presumably via accessing Joey's email. I wondered if Mike had been involved in this? Perhaps @Force Ten has an opinion?

3rd party developer access to Joey's paypal account via the API

So when Dan sets up the website shopping cart using paypal as service provider, the website needs a paypal username login so that it can process the transaction on the paypal side, and the funds are credited to the correct account. One way to do this is to use Joey's ID.

But as I understand it, Paypal offers instead, the ability to grant your developer programmatic access to your account, under their own user name. And you can make that highly restricted or broad access

So I guess a very limited access is simply to process credit card payments.

But as I understand you can do almost anything over the API that you can do from the cloud.

e.g. deposits, refunds, statements, payments etc

We really don't know how all this worked.

QueenBofOB and Bernina like this.
  5. smr

smr Well-Known Member

Wonder if JM and CM had a gentleman's agreement that CM could sign checks when JM couldn't. If Dan was a gentleman, then so was Chase.

6. smr

smr Well-Known Member

I also remember on Tricia's radio talk show Patrick said DK had no right to sell the business.

travelbug, Texas Red and Mica like this.
  7. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

Per Dan's account he was working with Mike and Susan. Iirc, the money Dan requested on the 6th wasn't released until the 17th. This was most likely released by Mike. More monies were released later to Dan and subsequently money released to Chase (5k) from Dan.

ETA: If Dan was to steal any money and access accounts, why isn't he doing so on the 6th?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Edmo, QueenBofOB, Longtimenoc and 6 others like this.
  8. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

Joey's password was reset on the 10th of Feb. It was done via the web and was in Joey's paypal account 'activity log'. There was another change on the 12th. (IP info matched IP info from Dan's PayPal account activity)

10th $900

11th $200

12th $800

12 th- 3000 - payment source was different… the bank account was used for the transaction, union bank to fund the purchase.

12th - 1000 - funded with the Union bank account

13th - 3000 echeck - a source of payment, went from Joseph to Dan

There was a request made on the 6th from Dan to Joey for $800... Dan cancelled that request.

travelbug and Mica like this.
  9. mrjitty

As far as gentleman scoundrels go, this is absolutely why its smarter to con Joey's mum out of 15K to "save the business" than it is to commit fraud with a financial instrument.

MsBetsy, Meemaw12, QueenBofOB and 7 others like this.
  10. missy1974

IMO this is incorrect. The request on the 6th was cancelled by Dan according to his records. On the 18th the $3000 e-check cleared from the 13th. But even if Mike 'released' these, that would give rise to the question as to why on the 13th would Mike be giving anyone permission to access money in his brothers business Paypal account when he thought they were on vacation.

I actually wish we had the times for these transactions (which there might have been but because we only had audio, we didn't get to see them).

travelbug, Texas Red and Mica like this.
  11. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Do you have a post you can give us where any poster said he is simply guilty because he is the defendant? Tia

Personally, I believe Merritt is very much guilty based solely on all of the evidence presented in his trial.

I have no clue what you mean. ??? The 'real suspect' is the one who committed the crime no matter what the defendant's name may be in any given case.

Are you saying when LE announces they have a suspect, and then they are arrested, and charged they arent the suspect?

Anytime LE uses the term 'suspect' it means they have discovered evidence against them that makes them THE suspect status. Other than that they may name someone as a POI without calling them a suspect, meaning they are investigating them, but do not have the evidence at the time to label them the suspect.

Imo

Niner, floridagrrl, MsBetsy and 4 others like this.
  12. missy1974

These were the payments after the family was reported missing:

24th - $2000 (?) hard to hear. Paypal funds

March 11th - $3000 - went through

March 25th - $3445 payment - funding source was CC but denied, didn't go through

travelbug likes this.
  13. Force Ten

It's apparent that Dan was heavily involved with the website and there is documentation from Joseph to support that.

There is zero evidence to indicate Chase had Joseph's approval to print checks and forge his signature. There's no pattern of this at all.

14. Karinna

Karinna Well-Known Member

As per SB's trial testimony, she gave DK access to PayPal to take care of support payments to JM's oldest son.

floridagrrl, Edmo, QueenBofOB and 4 others like this.
  15. Karinna

According to the investigators they found no evidence CM had any authority to JM's accounts. Per the SW's.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  16. missy1974

I believe that was later, not in mid February.

travelbug likes this.
  17. Force Ten

I don't recall seeing this. Can you point to an exhibit. TIA.

QueenBofOB likes this.
  18. Karinna

It was whenever SB took control of the business in JM's absence. I don't think she mentioned an actual date? Only the accounts were frozen in March.

QueenBofOB likes this.
  19. missy1974

Day 40 part 2. Sarah Kane from Paypal holdings.

travelbug, Mica and Force Ten like this.
  20. Recidivist

Recidivist Well-Known Member

The only reason he couldn't is because he was dead.

Edmo, QueenBofOB, la2cabo and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.