CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #20

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernina

Bernina Well-Known Member

I guess will never know because it's not relevant to the trial, and I'm not going to speculate.

2. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Lol! And why the judge SUSTAINED the majority of Imes objections.

Shows Imes knows when improper questions are being asked, and so does the judge.

Jmho

3. Mony Mony

Mony Mony Well-Known Member

The award was given for their investigative techniques.

CM was arrested Nov 2014. There was a preliminary hearing in June 2015 where the "gruesome" evidence was discussed, and SBSO got the award in Oct 2015.

Not sure why it is necessary to get a conviction to be recognized for your innovation and hard work.

From the award details:
    After detailed analysis of the McStay’s online bookkeeping accounts, detectives were able to focus their attention on a suspect. Forensic video enhancement techniques also found that the surveillance footage believed to be of the McStay family vehicle leaving the neighborhood around the time of their disappearance was in fact a different vehicle that matched the description of one owned by the suspect. Further location-based analysis and calling records of the suspect’s cell phone also placed him in the area where the bodies were found around the time of the disappearance. Armed with this evidence, the suspect was apprehended and is now awaiting trial.
    IACP and Thomson Reuters Honor San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Detail for Innovative Work in a Murder Case

Gruesome evidence in McStay hearing - The San Diego Union-Tribune
    Man must face trial for McStay murders

4. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

5. Mony Mony

Sorry Missy! I didn't see you were getting bombarded with the award info. Didn't mean to dogpile.

Frankie Hellis likes this.
  6. la2cabo

la2cabo Well-Known Member

After reading up on the award I noticed a few things. First, SBSO may or may NOT have nominated themselves for the award as the nominations can come from other agencies. Also, the award may have been given in part for their efforts in collaborating with the FBI, San Diego Sheriff's Department, etc. in investigating the McStay case. The award wasn't given based on the investigation resulting in a conviction, it was for the investigative work involved.

7. la2cabo

la2cabo Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to dogpile either. I saw the other posts after I made mine. Sorry Missy.

fridaybaker, Mony Mony and Bernina like this.
  8. MrsPC

MrsPC Well-Known Member

has this already been posted? - it's the hearing only from 5/21/2019

Karinna, oceanblueeyes and Bernina like this.
  9. citygirl

citygirl Well-Known Member

In my world a man like CM would be considered an old woman. Noticing way too much, injecting himself into people's personal space, then offering his perspective to anyone that will listen, even after they are dead.
    MOO.

coastal, fridaybaker, Alisajo and 8 others like this.
  10. thespeculator

thespeculator Active Member

I just ran across a news chopper aerial photo I had saved, from the initial discovery and excavation of the graves. I saved this because it has such a profound impact on me every time I look at it. In this photo, most of the people on-site at that moment were standing around one of the graves, staring at it. I believe this may be the moment when they discovered the bones of Gianni. I added labels to what I assume are the visible bones. I can only imagine the sick, heart-sinking feeling they must have had standing there, quietly looking on.

upload_2019-5-24_16-57-47.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    tmar, LadyL, cpeacock1 and 14 others like this.
  11. thespeculator

thespeculator Active Member

12. smr

smr Former Member

Well, then why is it strange to some that CM wasn't Joey's best friend, because Summer was Joey's best friend, according to what you suggest.

13. MrsPC

MrsPC Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just realized that Missy had already posted the 5/21/2019 hearing link. I'm slow...lol

14. MrsPC

MrsPC Well-Known Member

If they did have an additional hearing it would have had to occur before defense rested...so I'm guessing it went nowhere.

15. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Isn't that denigrating him, or making fun of him?

16. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

Again. Kudos to SBSD!
    That's all folks...

17. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Do you consider yourself an expert in the art and science of criminal investigation? Do any of us even know what these award winning investigators did in the months leading up to October of 2015? I certainly don't know what they were doing each day, to earn that paycheck.

According to McMahon:
    “It is truly an honor to receive this award in recognition of the exemplary work done by the
    Specialized Investigations Division, Homicide Detail,” stated Sheriff John McMahon. “The award recognizes the hard work and endless hours of dedication to bring the investigation to a conclusion for the family,” he added

But whatever it was they were doing, it caught the attention of those on the committee who give out this award.

And they choose from nominees all across the globe. It was not just a local award.

Past winners:
    2016 - Homeland Security Investigations of the Phoenix Police Department

2014 - Missouri State Highway Patrol of the Rural Crimes Investigative Unit

2017-
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Miami Regional Operations Center & U.S. Homeland Security Investigations
    In February 2016, the Miami Regional Operations Center met with U.S. Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agents to review progress of an ongoing human trafficking case. On July 7, 2016, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) —Miami Regional Operations Center Cyber/High Tech Crime Squad, HSI Fort Lauderdale, the United States Attorney’s Office, and HSI Bogota with the full cooperation and support of the Colombian National Police Directorate of Specialized Investigations Transnational Criminal Investigative Unit, conducted an undercover operation. This case involved a Florida resident who was allegedly operating tours to Medellìn, Colombia in which he was engaging in the international sex trafficking of children, child exploitation, and sex tourism.

2018-
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation conducted a criminal investigation of sexual exploitation from December 2015 through June 2017. Their efforts resulted in the discovery of over 30 victims, as well as the arrest and indictment of the suspect. Though the case required complex digital forensics, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation demonstrated exceptional achievement in successfully seeking and utilizing the expertise of multiple state, local, and federal agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Department of Justice. Their strategy to search for additional victims using initial victims’ internet provider addresses, social media accounts, and “machine cookies” of e-mails sent by the suspect was innovative and ultimately resulted in the identification of the suspect. The Bureau’s work in this case provides an excellent example of criminal investigators navigating the labyrinth of digital forensics, persisting in the pursuit of a complex investigation, and leveraging the strengths and capabilities of partner agencies.

18. Mony Mony

RSBM

My best guess... photogrammetry was used in a meaningfull manner.

IMO MOO etc

19. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

Imho there is zero excuse for a woman who has children of her own to dismiss the serious allegations against her SO. zero...

20. Mony Mony

RSMB

Oh, that is so true!!! imo Gives me the shivers (that is a fact).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.