CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

One thing that drove me round the bend of the pistorius case is I don't believe the various clocks used to time events were ever synced

So if you are comparing the time on a computer to a time on a video camera to a network time on a mobile network you really want to know how those clocks compared to absolute local time!

2. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Ha. Point taken.

missy1974 likes this.
  3. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

That's a really important point. But if investigators didn't make certain the times of events were accurate, then what does that say about their investigation overall?

4. Alf

Alf Member

This is enough evidence for you that this man murdered, covered up, and buried 4 human beings?

5. mrjitty

Contemporaneous notes are the awesome

As a baby lawyer this was drummed into my head on day one.

Stop everything and write that letter to the Judge!

In 9 years time he will read it!

6. Alf

Alf Member

1000% agree.

missy1974, QueenBofOB, Mica and 2 others like this.
  7. dlkutac

dlkutac Well-Known Member

The check number that pops up is the next sequential number after the last number which was printed or input into the system, even if you enter them out of order. So, if one day you print/input check number 305, the next time you use it, it will auto fill with 306. If five days later you print or input check number 267, the next time you use the system it will auto fill with 268. It can easily be overridden.

8. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Or it indicates that there is something off in the interpretation of the computer forensic evidence. Encase is a basic program. It shows usage in a very linear manner. It doesn't necessarily relate the whole story of what transpired with a computer at a given time and date. For that information you need a true computer "wonk" someone who knows all the variables. I don't think the state ever employed anyone like this to analyze their Encase findings.

As in, maybe the state got it wrong.

MsFacetious, missy1974 and travelbug like this.
  9. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Interesting. But why would the same check number pop up, when there had been other checks generated in the interim, between when the number first shows up, and when it shows up again?

missy1974 and travelbug like this.
  10. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Did I say this was enough evidence?
    NO, I said it was damning evidence because it puts Chase in the McStay home, on the 4th, when he told LE he had his last contact with Joey at 3 pm.

So it shows that Chase lied, and that he was actually in the home, at the time some say the family vanished. And he was in the home, creating checks made out to himself. He wrote out fraudulent checks totaling to 15k that week.

11. mrjitty

I am old fashioned but High Court Judges back in my day would take a dim view of these sorts of arguments if the defence do not call the one guy who has personal knowledge of all these things.

Fine to call your experts and muddy the waters but counsel cannot start trying to put in evidence matters that exist only within the personal knowledge of the accused.

12. thelmadawg

thelmadawg Well-Known Member

Then let's hope the circumstantials are 1) incontrovertible and 2) presented in a lucid narrative that is absolutely clear to the average juror. I'm a bit worried.

jash, Sharyne, missy1974 and 3 others like this.
  13. katydid23

I don't think one has to be an advanced expert to see what day the name 'chase merritt' was added, or to see if a check was deleted or not.

I bet they had those facts correct. JMO

14. mrjitty

IMO the how and where doesn't matter - it was achieved by someone.

15. mrjitty

After the Pistorius case I have given up on the idea that even incontrovertible evidence is enough :D

16. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

I have some theories about Chase, that I cannot really support, but I do think for a number of reasons, he might not make a good witness, even if innocent. And if he takes the stand that might open the door up to his past, which would be highly prejudicial to his case.

I actually think the defense is doing a good enough job in their rebuttal, that Chase won't need to take the stand. I believe the story the defense wants told, is being told. And it is convincing.

And though this next might seem contradictory to arguments I'm making now, I was once 100% convinced of Chase's guilt. I was sure he did it. The state's narrative is what started me questioning my beliefs.

MsFacetious, kcroo, missy1974 and 2 others like this.
  17. katydid23

Moving one's truck out of the driveway is not necessarily the same was 'returning' to the scene of the crime. If he wasnt done yet, then he wasnt returning, he was just moving things around. JMO

18. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Why would he do this? He's not moving an armoire, he's moving four people he just murdered. Why return to write a check he could have written from home?

Really stop and think about that for a moment.

TRB, missy1974 and travelbug like this.
  19. Mony Mony

Mony Mony Well-Known Member

Re: the vanished QB recording.
    I am wondering if the call was destroyed because the caller (Chase) was not advised the call was being recorded. I work with a large company that records calls, but we have to provide the disclaimer or else the call is not useable. I don’t know if they are destroyed, but if an issue arises and the caller was not informed of the recording, we cannot continue listening to the recording.

20. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

But you might need to be an advanced expert to properly interpret what it means.

travelbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.