CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

Do you mean backdated to the 4th?

Longtimenoc likes this.
  2. citygirl

citygirl Well-Known Member

I can't help but think they will home in on closing arguments. After a trial this long, taking notes, trying to follow all the witnesses, prosecution's presentation, then the defense's presentation? My head would be spinning 4 to 6 months in. I have a hard time retaining what I was doing a week ago. Seriously.
    I know we have the fairest system in the world. All benefit of doubt is given to the accused.
    Lest we forget though. This is about a young family of four. Brutally murdered. Babies! With sweet faces and chiclet teeth. It's about them. It's not about CM.

kcroo, MerBeach, mom2chloe and 3 others like this.
  3. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

This is exactly my concern. How can the jurors be prepared for double or triple the estimate they were given? Have they been told it's now at least double what they signed up for?

Are there young parents in the mix who would normally be home with kids? Do they have child care for more than 3 months?

People who aren't working while serving? My understanding is that jurors only get paid minimum wage and only for time IN COURT.

Are there jurors who were okay with 3 months of full time but will have major hardships with part time or at 6 months?

People who were only able to serve because the trial would be over by spring break/school getting out?

I mean because of the wasted time at least they aren't there all day every single day, but still. This is absolutely unconscionable that it is being allowed.

12 jurors and 6 alternates right? Let's hope that 2/3 can make it through to the end. They should have selected 24+ jurors. :confused:

jash, TRB, Mica and 6 others like this.
  4. Longtimenoc

Longtimenoc Well-Known Member

Yikes your right, the 4th

Bernina and QueenBofOB like this.
  5. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I think so too.

I know it's advantageous for the defense to slow the trial way down.

I believe that is why so many cross examinations have been excessively, and unnecessarily so long.

The DT knows it throws the entire schedule off for the witnesses the state has prepared to be there on a certain day. The DT is hoping the jurors blames, and take their frustrations out on the prosecutors.

Just like the DT purposefully ask many many questions they already know aren't proper questions to ask, which forces the state to make legal objections each, and every time to get it on the record, which must be done in case there is a conviction thus an appeal.

There again, the DT wants the jurors to be duped into believing the reasons the state is vehemently objecting is because they have something to hide which is as far from the truth,as it gets. It's all a defense ploy.

Plus the DT is hoping the longer they are around CM the harder it will be to convict him.

I have seen defense attorneys in the media speak out about these kind of defense strategies.

So it makes me worry about what other shenanigans they are trying to pull.

It is far better for CM, and attorneys to stall this trial, and the inevitable conclusion down to a slow crawl.

Jurors are going to become very frustrated with the hurry up, and then wait.

They will not remain patient the longer this drags on. The court seems to have forgotten all of these jurors have lives of their own too, and dont want to be put on hold with no end in sight. Imo

Imo

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    dlk1949, wary, Longtimenoc and 2 others like this.
  6. Longtimenoc

Longtimenoc Well-Known Member

That's a good question isnt it? A most unfortunate coincidence that the checks and deaths occurred during the same time frame.

7. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Because Joey wouldn't have wanted Chase to have access to his personal finances. If Chase wrote the checks on the Custom account, then deleted them, that account still reflects the activity on their projects. But though Chase is writing a check that will eventually have him receiving funds from Joseph's bank account-Chase has no idea the balance in that account.

If Chase has permission to write the checks, he simply lets Joseph know he printed a check up, and the amount, then Joseph (as Joseph did with handwritten checks) manually adds that check amount to the Contacts account. And then both accounts reflect the numbers they were intended to reflect.

And this is all speculative. We have yet to know how those accounts were actually set up. What I will say, is if Joey set the accounts up the way I'm thinking is possible, I will be inclined to believe Chase is innocent. On the other hand, if this isn't how the accounts were set up, and it turns out Chase was accessing Contacts or features related to Joseph's personal finances, I'm leaning toward guilt.

It will be interesting to find out how those accounts were managed.

8. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

That is possible. One thought I had is that Dan is not the only person Joey wanted to secure his accounts from. If Chase is innocent, what may have been in the works is that Joey was going to go desktop only (no internet access) and that his plan was to set Chase up with Chase's own desktop Quickbooks. This way Chase could track the projects and perform some of these features, like check writing, but Joey will have his accounts on a platform that can only be accessed by way of his own computer.

And maybe Joey was footing the bill for the extra Quickbooks account. I couldn't tell from Baker what account he was speaking to Chase about-but I kind of thought it was only the Custom account. Or maybe there was some confusion?

Joey may have been training Chase to use his own Quickbooks, to further separate anyone's access to the income Joey was getting.

If Chase always had access to the Custom account this would have been a diplomatic way for Joey to have more security, and still allow Chase to perform a few money related tasks. The busier EIP got, the more this type of thing might have been a concern.

And again, the DA may present an entirely different scenario, in which case, my theory goes out the window.

MsFacetious, cobalt sky and katydid23 like this.
  9. Tortoise

Do you think Joey printed and deleted the cheque at the house on the 4th?

10. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

But you could have given him access.

11. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

He "backdated" them to the 4th, but I get your point. The question is, did he have permission?

Longtimenoc likes this.
  12. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

But if what you speculate is true, why didnt Chase say so back at the start?

GarAndTeed, Alisajo, mrjitty and 5 others like this.
  13. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's my point. Chase never accessed the Contacts account. He wrote checks on the account he likely always had access to. The question is, did he do this with Joey's permission, or without Joey's permission?

cobalt sky likes this.
  14. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

He did say so. Chase has always maintained that Joey wanted him to perform the tasks he performed with Quickbooks.

15. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

Even if Chase killed the family, I don't think Chase wrote that check.

16. katydid23

True, but my point is that my son wouldn't have had to make a new entry, with his name in small letters, to write himself a check.
    So why did chase have to do that, if Joey supposedly set it up so chase could write his own checks?

LadyL, Mickey Mouse, MerBeach and 3 others like this.
  17. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

But you can't hide that, because the checks were cashed. There would be bank statements. The only person who could be fooled, and only for a little while, would have been Joey. If Joey is dead, no reason to hide the Quickbooks activity.

katydid23 likes this.
  18. katydid23

I don't think he ever described it the way you are describing it. I don't think he ever said that Joey told him to backdate and delete checks he created.

19. JMarsh

JMarsh Well-Known Member

The only way your son could have access to your vendor list is if you gave it to him. My thought is Joey didn't give Chase access to the vendor list that was generated for Contacts. I could be wrong, though.

katydid23 likes this.
  20. Tortoise

So a/ do you think Joey did it? and b/ What makes you think Chase didn't write that cheque if he killed them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.