CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, unless Chase testifies, we have no direct evidence of this new arrangement. The jury will most likely have to come to their own inference.

And if the jury has to come to their own decisions, I think it will hurt the defense. Anyone with a checking account is going to look at the facts as we know them, and think it makes the most sense that Chase was stealing.

Trying to justify the backdating and deleting of the checks makes very little sense, other than the obvious one, of Chase trying to cover a theft.

And I don't think many will believe that Joey told him to go ahead and start writing himself his own checks, and then delete them. Especially since it first started right when the family vanished. JMO

JMO The welding would be the bigger job out of the 3 welding/electrics/plumbing, JMO.

Does anyone know if Chase was under contract (in a written form), with Joey?

That's a good question. It would be interesting to know in general what written agreements, if any, existed between Joey and Chase.

Not the father either.

Snip

P. MCSTAY: The last year, Joey had talked about the quality of some of that's not because it slipped. And Joey wasn't happy with that. He was upset.

KAYE: Blaming Chase at that point.

P. MCSTAY: Yes, absolutely, because he was getting complaints.

KAYE: So many complaints, Joseph was questioning if Chase should be a part of his business at all.

P. MCSTAY: Joey discussed with me about in getting another welder.

KAYE: Cutting Chase out.

P. MCSTAY: Well not virtually cutting him out, giving him some competition.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Responding to my own post....

I don’t quite understand Patrick’s comment about Joey having problems with Chase’s work in the year prior to the disappearance. I don’t recall Patrick ever mentioning this problem until his interview with CNN and years after the family disappeared. And also only after Dan said Joey was firing Chase. Prior to Patrick's CNN comment, Patrick always said Joey spoke highly of Chase’s work. I was actually surprised to read Patrick’s comment because for years he always led me to believe otherwise about Chase.

In the year prior to the disappearance sales were very slow due to the economy. Joey specifically mentions this to the representative from domain authority in an email. If things were so slow how much damage did Chase cost Joey? I recall seeing the books for 2009 posted online, and there wasn’t that much work IIRC. I’m thinking the Provecho disaster might have happened in 2009 but was that the only one? Anybody know? Why would Joey keep Chase around for a whole year if his work was that bad?

Please excuse if this has come up before -I don't have much time to keep up with this. However, JM is referencing the Mexico travel related computer searches here: Remember that they purchased Spanish language tapes off of Craigslist? Actually, I think Spanish and Italian. IIRC, LE was able to track down the people from whom they purchased them -they were delivered to Joey at a soccer game.

We had long discussions here in the past. So strange -Spanish (perhaps related to travel to Mexico searches) but Italian? Summer was, apparently, infatuated with all-things Italian at the time, but interesting that one would buy two different foreign language programs. I think most of us at the time chalked it up to: Spanish for possible travel to Mexico (considering those computer searches) and perhaps Italian just because. At any rate, I do think those tapes point in the direction of Mexico plans on the part of the McStays.

A
I contemplated that perhaps Summer was wanting to teach the boys Spanish and Italian. At their ages, their brains were sponges and an ideal time to teach them foreign languages. IMO

I don’t quite understand Patrick’s comment about Joey having problems with Chase’s work in the year prior to the disappearance. I don’t recall Patrick ever mentioning this problem until his interview with CNN and years after the family disappeared. And also only after Dan said Joey was firing Chase. Prior to Patrick's CNN comment, Patrick always said Joey spoke highly of Chase’s work. I was actually surprised to read Patrick’s comment because for years he always led me to believe otherwise about Chase.

In the year prior to the disappearance sales were very slow due to the economy. Joey specifically mentions this to the representative from domain authority in an email. If things were so slow how much damage did Chase cost Joey? I recall seeing the books for 2009 posted online, and there wasn’t that much work IIRC. I’m thinking the Provecho disaster might have happened in 2009 but was that the only one? Anybody know? Why would Joey keep Chase around for a whole year if his work was that bad?

It's so hard to know. Even if there might have been other welders Joey could have worked with, Chase seems to have been good at generating fountains that met with Joey's vision. Sometimes artists will stay in a work alliance, even if not perfect, because regardless of the pitfalls, it's better than anything else they found.

It would be good to know more about their working relationship and how it evolved over the three years they knew each other.

For example did CM start off doing the fountains from design, production to crating. Or did he then get demoted to plumbing and electrics because of the quality of work?

Knowing this would help us understand if their relationship was on an upward or downward trajectory and add to the puzzle pieces.

I contemplated that perhaps Summer was wanting to teach the boys Spanish and Italian. At their ages, their brains were sponges and an ideal time to teach them foreign languages. IMO
I totally agree re. teaching the Boy's another language (Spanish) which is used in the Southern USA long side English of course.

The other aspect to look at in regard to the nature of Joey and Chase's relationship is their phone log. Call patterns between individuals can be telling.

*snipped*

SBM
I'm sure that a lot of what the family was saying was under guidelines by the LE until they finished their investigation......

California is multi lingual, so taking Spanish isn't a big deal. Learning Italian I would think would be cool for a child. Both of my children are bi-lingual, English and Spanish, part because of their heritage, and they were raised here in Arizona. My grand kids are too.

At what point was other people's drug use - sorry gambling - mentioned in the trial?
I am uncertain which family member people are alluding to in regards to another gambling disorder, but if Joey was familiar with a loved one previously suffering a gambling addiction, all the more reason he would not want Chase dealing with any financial aspects of the business. You might have an accountant, a CPA or a Tax attorney with access to your financials but certainly not CM. These inferences only prove that Joey would never have given CM access to QB. IMO

The only way Chase can walk away a free man, in my opinion, is if he can convince the jury that Joey was calling him and telling him to create those checks and backdate and delete them, for some reason.

I don't think they will accept that however. One main sticking point might be the 100 dollar check that Joey gave to Chase on the 2nd. Why would Joey create and print up that check, if he was in the middle of his 'new practice' of having Chase create his own checks from the Custom account?

He was literally [supposedly] on the phone with him all day , discussing that new accounting procedure, according to the defense theory. So why would Joey create that check from the other account and hand deliver it ?

Last edited:
California is multi lingual, so taking Spanish isn't a big deal. Learning Italian I would think would be cool for a child. Both of my children are bi-lingual, English and Spanish, part because of their heritage, and they were raised here in Arizona. My grand kids are too.

My 3 yr old granddaughter is taking a spanish class twice a week right now. On Valentines day she counted in Spanish for me, and showed me the colors she knew by pointing them out. MY DIL SAID THE CLASS IS FULL OF 3 AND 4 YR OLDS. So this could be a long standing Southern Cali trend for sure.

I am uncertain which family member people are alluding to in regards to another gambling disorder, but if Joey was familiar with a loved one previously suffering a gambling addiction, all the more reason he would not want Chase dealing with any financial aspects of the business. You might have an accountant, a CPA or a Tax attorney with access to your financials but certainly not CM. These inferences only prove that Joey would never have given CM access to QB. IMO
I agree with you, giving a Gambler access to money is like giving a Drug Addict drugs to hold. After all a Gambler is gambling for money.

The only way Chase can walk away a free man, in my opinion, is if he can convince the jury that Joey was calling him and telling him to create those checks and backdate and delete them, for some reason.

I don't think they will accept that however. One main sticking point might be the 200 dollar check that Joey gave to Chase on the 2nd. Why would Joey create and print up that check, if he was in the middle of his 'new practice' of having Chase create his own checks from the Custom account?

He was literally [supposedly] on the phone with him all day , discussing that new accounting procedure, according to the defense theory. So why would Joey create that check from the other account and hand deliver it ?
I agree. (it was $100 :D )

It would be good to know more about their working relationship and how it evolved over the three years they knew each other.

For example did CM start off doing the fountains from design, production to crating. Or did he then get demoted to plumbing and electrics because of the quality of work?

Knowing this would help us understand if their relationship was on an upward or downward trajectory and add to the puzzle pieces.

12:50 of the video:

The agreement as Sequida understood it was: Metro was going to do all the sheetmetal work, Joseph was selling and handling whatever invoicing, and Mr. Merritt was going to do the plumbing, the pumps that operated the water features, the electrical, etching, rocks, tile, etc. and he was going to videotape them, crate them and ship them.

MSM was doing all the welding, not Chase. IIRC just from the cheques we saw during Carmen's testimony, this was since at least November 2009.

I have used quickbooks. In much in the same way that Chase and Joey appear to have been using it. I'm not seeing what is suspicious about it. And all the above that you give an example of, IS what happened. Joey appears to have given Chase access to the second account, Joey just didn't add a new license to his account.

What I suspect is that Joey wanted Chase to have his own account, and maybe even start paying for it himself. Which is why Joey put Chase to the task of setting up his own desktop version. That's speculative on my part. But that seems to be where the Quickbooks accounts were headed: Two completely separate desktop accounts.

Why would Joey want Chase to have his 'own' account if that account was able to write checks from Joey's online account?

Who would want an employee, who was behind in their rent, and an avid gambler, to have access to the bank account and be able to create their own checks? And then you are going to teach them to backdate and delete the ones being cashed? WHY?

Chase had shown himself to be irresponsible with money already. Why give him more access at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23